How long have you been using Nikon?

spb_stan

I was not an active shooter but had film cameras since the late 50s. I used them on family vacations or holidays, mostly casual snap shots. I got a little more serious Yashica in the late 60s that got more use and a lot more use when I got married in '72 and our daughter was born in late 73. I set up a small darkroom and played with black/white. In 78 I was newly divorced and rewarded myself with a new Canon A1 and several good lenses and my frequent international travels put the camera to good use. I loved that camera, beat it to death but never failed and always worked well. I loaned the whole rig to a GF who was starting photography school including 14 lenses. 3 weeks later she sold it all and that was the end of my photography and GF for a while. Has a couple point and shoots after that.
In the 70s and 80s I took a number of shots in my recording studio which were licensed to the labels for album covers. Casual snap shots, usually with black and white film, low light moody shots of the artist relaxing or discussing something with the producer or a musician. One shot was featured on a large album and my royalties earned enough to buy a vacation home on the beach in Maui. My deal was for a small % based on sales and the label thought, being a first record for the artist that it would be essentially free for them if based on sales instead of a standard royalty deal for incidental images. The first album sold 5 million copies.
In 76 I did an album that also had one of my B/W images on the jacket that had a regular licensing fee because it was an established group but it turned out to be the biggest selling album in history until Michael Jackson's Thriller beat it by 1million unit sales of 50,000,000 copies. In 2001 I retired for the 3rd time and gave everything, everything except 1 house, 1 car and a small storage unit of person items, gave away everything including houses, cars, airplane an a successful business and moved to St Petersburg Russia. It is such a beautiful city, which I had visited first in 1976 it was shame I only had a little Canon point and shoot. A girlfriend talked me into getting a more flexible camera so the next visit back to the US, I stopped by the old neighborhood camera store I used shop in.
The salesgirl showed me the Canon models that fit my desired price range and the spec choice was the 450D but as soon as it was in my hand I was disappointed, it felt like a plastic toy. The girl said there was a similar camera that just came out by Nikon that she said would feel better but she did not want to show me because it was twice as much. I felt the new model, a D90 and it fit perfectly in my hand and seemed logically laid out. I bought it, a SB800, a Lowepro backpack, and 1 50 1.4 lens and blew 3 times my budget. I took to it right away and shot every day, carried it with me everywhere, added a 70-200 2.8vr and 17-55 2.8 and a 10-20 3.5 Sigma. Kept adding lenses and built home made studio strobes, and had a ball. Now I shoot less because the D800 and kit is to heavy to carry everywhere, but do events, weddings, portraiture, dance clubs, theater, ballet and architecture. Currently have the D90, with over 130k frames, D7000 and D800 and might add a D500 this summer. I don't need it, in fact any of my cameras would do fine. But I want one.

Sandpatch

Nikkormat FTn, starting in '74 or '75. Then to my Dad's old EL-2, next to an N2020 and finally to my D5100. After 40+ Years with Nikon, I'm unlikely to ever change brands. We're now a three generation Nikon family.

Tom Grove

I bought a Coopix over 10 yrs ago... but wasnt really into photography like I am now... I bought my D7000 3 years ago, and have been doing it obsessively since.

cbay

First real camera was college years, a Pentax P3 in 1989. Under the influence of photography magazines i had to have a Nikon. 1992, still in college things were tight, so i sold the Pentax and two lenses and ordered a Nikon FM2 and Sigma 75-300 apo lens. Had that camera until last year when i sold it to a member here.
Around 2001 i bought a N90 new, along with a Sigma 28-70 2.8 lens. Still have the N90 - which i tried to give away yet still have. LOL.
Not until 2 years, 5 months ago did i ever have a DSLR, nor did i do much photography (comparably). I actually joined this forum prior to getting them as i awaited the unexpected funds to arrive that would rekindle my love of photography. A little over 6 grand got me the cameras and lenses in my signature along with all the stuff that commonly goes along with bodies and lenses. Couldn't be happier. In the first couple months i shot more pictures than all my other years combined. Sure, it would be nice to have a D810 and 14-24 for landscapes, a D500 and a 600 f/4 for wildlife, but i am happy with what i have, no regrets, and look forward to enjoying and getting better at photography.

Last edited:

harleridr

Hi Guys
My first 35mm was an Argus Match-Matic based on the C-3 Brick in 1960. I still have it. Then came an Olympus OM-10 next an OM-2. Then Minolta came out with an auto focus 7000 after that a 9000. Needless to say I had to try them. It was around the end of 1982 I made the big change to Nikon. I bought a used F3 which i kept until Nikon brought out the D70 AF. Since then I haven't looked back.
Harle

Bob Blaylock

I've been into photography since my early teens,mostly with cameras that I picked up at thrift stores and garage sales and such for a few dollars. My first “real camera” was an Argus C3, that I got at a garage sale some time in the 1970s, for about $10. I had long admired the Nikon F2 line, but it remained well out of my budget, until I got my first “real job” in 1986, in connection with which I had a once-in-a-lifetime trip to the Arctic later that year. So, in September of 1986, finally having enough money to afford it, and finally having a good excuse to buy a good camera, I bought a used Nikon F2 Photomic body for, I think, $325 at a local camera store, along with a 50mm ƒ/1.4 lens, a 28mm ƒ/3.5 lens, and a Vivitar 85-205mm ƒ/3.8 zoom lens. I don't remember what I paid for the Vivitar, but the other two lenses, both Nikkors, I think I paid about $90 each.

For quite a few years, I rarely ever went anywhere without taking that camera and those lenses with me. Eventually, photography sort of fell by the wayside, as the business of being an adult and supporting myself took over.

My interest in photography was rekindled with the advent of smart phones, with built in cameras, and with the amazing variety of software available on them to take and process pictures in ways that would be unimaginable with old-fashioned film-based photography. But with that, came the desire for a “real” digital camera. I long lamented that there ought to be, but wasn't, a back available to convert my F2 into a digital camera.

It was with the loss of my job in 2013, as the Campbell Soup factory where I worked shut down, that at some point, having a bunch of money coming out of retirement accounts, my wife and I decided to spend some of it on a couple of luxuries, before we put the rest into merely helping us survive. Out of that, I got a Nikon D3200, which I have been using ever since. I was pleased to find that the old lenses that I have for my F2 work just fine on it, even though Nikon claims that they, being non-AI lenses, won't.

TKC_D500

Since the original Nikon FM came out. I killed way too many brain cells in my misspent youth to remember exactly when that was, though. It was my second camera after the Argus C3 that I inherited from my dad.

chiefams

Since last October. Had been sold on the Nikon for about two years, I saved any extra $, then got it for my birthday last October

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkvLTD

Xmas 2013, so not too long before I dove into all the forums and such to take it more seriously than cellphones.