How do you film more than 20 min without camera shutting down on you?

BNR34RB26DETT

I have been recording time lapse videos with my d5100 and i notice that the camera would always shut down at 20 minutes.
is there a way to disable this auto shutdown?

AC016

If memory serves me correctly, you can't. Nikon put a limit on the time you can take video in order to protect the sensor.

§am

Very vaguely worded by Nikon, but the limit is 4GB or 20 mins, to protect internal circuitry(!)

And as Andrew has mentioned above, it's on page 53 of the (user) manual, or pages 108/109 of the reference manual :)

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
IMO, it would be easier to do the time lapse using interval shooting with photos and then put them into a video later. Do you have lightroom?

BNR34RB26DETT

IMO, it would be easier to do the time lapse using interval shooting with photos and then put them into a video later. Do you have lightroom?
no i do not.
i want to do time lapse but i have my camera mounted on a roll cage iinside of a race car to shoot racing events. most races go on for more than 20 min thats why it would be nice to have video rather than pictures.

WhiteLight

Very vaguely worded by Nikon, but the limit is 4GB or 20 mins, to protect internal circuitry(!)

:)

I am not sure if it's Nikon putting a limit or the file system of the memeory card.
Am guessing since SD cards are of FAT32 format, the maximum file size allowed on a FAT32 partition is 4GB.

So that could well be the reason

§am

Could be a combination of both...
The FAT32 file system does have a 4GB limit, but there's also mention of protecting the internal circuitry from overheating...

If it's shutting the camera down, then I'd say it's the later, as a 4GB limit could easily be overcome by just starting a new file

BackdoorArts

Again, one of the Nikon imposed restrictions that proves the adage, "If you want to shoot video then get a good video camera".

That said, as is mentioned, "time lapse video", to me at least, speaks of the stitching together of single frames shot one at a time over a fixed period of time. The fact that you're attempting to do it in video mode tells me that to replicate what you're doing with single frames will likely require a short interval time. But even with the limit of 999 intervals imposed by cameras like my D7000 (I assume the D5100 is the same) you can shoot 12 frames per minute (every 5 sec) and capture 83 minutes worth of frames instead of 20. Alas, stitched together, those 999 frames will only yield 45-90 sec of "film", but if you pay attention and are there for the last one you will only lose a couple frames on the reset - just be careful not to move the tripod!! ;)

Oh, and be careful with that hack, Eugene. A D5100 or D7000 can make for an expensive brick in the wall.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
no i do not.
i want to do time lapse but i have my camera mounted on a roll cage iinside of a race car to shoot racing events. most races go on for more than 20 min thats why it would be nice to have video rather than pictures.

If it was me, I'd get a sport video camera, you know the ones that skiers or skydivers fix on their helmets. Its made specially for that and is less expensive than your present camera. I'd be really careful about trying to manipulate and change settings that Nikon thought safe for their internal circuitry.

Only my 2 cents.

grandpaw

From what I have read the 20min. limit is because anything over that in HD makes it qualify as an HD video camera and the import fees are much higher. It is to hold down the cost of the camera. I have made a 20min. video and as soon as it cut off started it up again with no problem. This only made me miss a second or two of the action. There is a running clock on the LCD screen letting you know just where you stand at all times so if you are filming something and are getting close to being cut off, look for a place that you can turn it off yourself and right back on so you don't miss the action. If you have to keep it going without any stopping at all your limit will be the twenty mins.

AC016

I think getting a dedicated VIDEO camera is your best bet. You are asking your camera, a DSLR, to do something it won't. Whatever the reason, it will not record 20+ minutes of continuous video and there is no reason for it to do so. Video is an extra on a DSLR, it is not it's main function. Don't try to make something into something it is not supposed to be. You just may regret it. As Marcel pointed out, why not get one of those GoPros:
GoPro HD HERO2 Motorsports Edition CHDMH-002 B&H Photo Video

Far cheaper than buying a new D5100!

§am

If you're gonna put in a race car in a roll cage - deffo go for a dedicated video camera!!!
Nothing like bumping around the track to send damaging shocks through the lens and body and mess up the internals.

BNR34RB26DETT

i own two gopro 2s
DSLR will be mounted on the inside of my car.
gopros will be on the outside mounted with a suction cup :)
i have a very very sturdy mount for the dslr. it should work out as far as mounting goes