How can I make my d7100 focus in manual mode when shutter is pushed halfway down?

yauman

So here's the two versions of autofocus lenses.
This one say M/A and M. In the M/A position, it will autofocus but you can override that by just turning the focus ring. It's very smooth - there's a clutch mechanism that will let you manually focus without damaging the autofocus motor: AutoManualFocus-1.jpg

This is the other version - it's a lot more common. With this autofocus lens, you cannot turn the focus ring when the switch is in the AF position. You will find that the focus ring is resistant to turning - don't force it, you can damage the autofocus mechanism if you do. Turn the switch to the MF position the focus ring will be freed up to manually focusing. This switch is not meant to be flipped back and forth while you are composing - don't "practice" to be able to do that because it's not mean to be used that way. Select the position before you shoot and stay with it. There is really really no reason to switch while you are compositing once you figured out the many amazing and versatile focusing modes the D7100 offers (much more than the D600!)
AutoManualFocus-2.jpg

Hope this helps.

mathom33

So here's the two versions of autofocus lenses.
This one say M/A and M. In the M/A position, it will autofocus but you can override that by just turning the focus ring. It's very smooth - there's a clutch mechanism that will let you manually focus without damaging the autofocus motor: View attachment 82870

This is the other version - it's a lot more common. With this autofocus lens, you cannot turn the focus ring when the switch is in the AF position. You will find that the focus ring is resistant to turning - don't force it, you can damage the autofocus mechanism if you do. Turn the switch to the MF position the focus ring will be freed up to manually focusing. This switch is not meant to be flipped back and forth while you are composing - don't "practice" to be able to do that because it's not mean to be used that way. Select the position before you shoot and stay with it. There is really really no reason to switch while you are compositing once you figured out the many amazing and versatile focusing modes the D7100 offers (much more than the D600!)
View attachment 82871

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the information! That helps a lot! I've been selling stuff on eBay and I'm saving up for a new lens; I'll need to do my research on what will fit my needs.

Mike D90

These pictures I chose because I wanted to show an example of what the camera was focusing on vs what I wanted it to focus on without having to switch to full manual.
Today was a nice sunny day and I was able to take my dogs to my in-laws house so I could throw a ball for them. It have me a perfect opportunity to test the different focus settings and I am more than pleased! The sun was beginning to set so I went out with the idea that the pictures would not turn out the way I was expecting. I think that at its worst, the D7100 quality is much better than my last camera. Here's a link to the pictures: Zenfolio | Miguel Thompson under the "Life revolves around sunshine and a ball" collection.

Glad you are happy with it now! Just for future though, if you want to test something on a camera, giving it an impossible task isn't the way to test it.