How about posting your HDR images?

MelodyTregear

This was done for a client who loves the trees outside his home. It was a huge area, so I did the shots in panels. They also wanted them framed. Well, it's done and dusted... I hope they like it. Here is a small version of the original....
Final_.jpg

Somersetscott

A small man made dam/waterfall near the village I live in. 3 shots, +/-2ev Handheld, fully clothed sat in a tree overhanging the river taking my chances. Was lucky this time.. :cool: :rolleyes:

North Perrott waterfall Final.jpg

TedG954

Those of you with D700s and D800s.... when you are bracketing, do you believe the intermediary exposures make a difference?

If I bracket -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, does the -1 and +1 really affect the photo? I don't think so. The larger +/-2 cancels the lesser exposures out. By processing all 5 exposures the only thing affected is the time to process.

With the D700 and D800, the ability to bracket 7 frames gives you the ability to hone your resulting photo to your liking, but you will still only be required to use no more than 3 frames.

My maximum choice pool is -3, -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, +3, and any combination of 3 exposures.

Of course, this is only my observation. Personally, I don't process more than 3 exposures.

Dave_W

The Dude
Those of you with D700s and D800s.... when you are bracketing, do you believe the intermediary exposures make a difference?

If I bracket -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, does the -1 and +1 really affect the photo? I don't think so. The larger +/-2 cancels the lesser exposures out. By processing all 5 exposures the only thing affected is the time to process.

With the D700 and D800, the ability to bracket 7 frames gives you the ability to hone your resulting photo to your liking, but you will still only be required to use no more than 3 frames.

My maximum choice pool is -3, -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, +3, and any combination of 3 exposures.

Of course, this is only my observation. Personally, I don't process more than 3 exposures.

I think it depends a lot on the spacing you give the exposures. If you're only shooting 1/3 stops, then you probably have a point. If you're going the full 1 stop between shots then no, I think every image makes a difference to the final product.

MelodyTregear

I think it depends a lot on the spacing you give the exposures. If you're only shooting 1/3 stops, then you probably have a point. If you're going the full 1 stop between shots then no, I think every image makes a difference to the final product.

I agree with you. I haven't been doing HDR very long, but I noticed that if the 3 exposures where not that far apart, I could do the same thing to that as I could to a single exposure. If it is further apart, that's when you really start to see the difference.

Lee

A small man made dam/waterfall near the village I live in. 3 shots, +/-2ev Handheld, fully clothed sat in a tree overhanging the river taking my chances. Was lucky this time.. :cool: :rolleyes:

I'm getting the feeling that it's the 'other times' that hold the really good stories ;)

​The reflections on the water are lovely! Nice work

Lee

I've never tried HDR. May I ask how much this differs from a shot taken when metered correctly? How different are they from one another? Thanks for any information! :)

Hark, I'm brand new to HDR (less than a week since I got my software) so you can hear from a newbie while you wait for the pro's :)

It differs as subtly or as much as you want it to, depending on how you tweak the image within the HDR software, but the biggest noticeable difference is the details in the shadows and highlights. I will post you a 'correctly exposed' and then the HDR version of one of mine and you can decide for yourself. I am going for a more subtle look at the moment as I form my own personal preference and style but even so, I can see the difference:

Bauxite sample - OOC-1209.jpgBeautiful Beau-.jpg

​The one on the left is straight out of the camera. The one on the right is the 3 images merged and tonemapped in Photomatix. Now this is my own editing (finding my way) preference at present but you would tweak it to suit your tastes.

Last edited:

Lee

I haven't figured out the single frame thing yet although it's on my to-do list. Do you manually adjust the exposure and save two copies of the image and then import to your HDR software program? I probably should be doing one thing at a time and get a good grasp of what I'm doing at the moment, but it wasn't clear to me how to load a single frame so I assumed you have to either load as a batch and select one or save the two versions and then import the 2 (or more) ?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Hark, I'm brand new to HDR (less than a week since I got my software) so you can hear from a newbie while you wait for the pro's :)

It differs as subtly or as much as you want it to, depending on how you tweak the image within the HDR software, but the biggest noticeable difference is the details in the shadows and highlights. I will post you a 'correctly exposed' and then the HDR version of one of mine and you can decide for yourself. I am going for a more subtle look at the moment as I form my own personal preference and style but even so, I can see the difference:

View attachment 38882View attachment 38883

​The one on the left is straight out of the camera. The one on the right is the 3 images merged and tonemapped in Photomatix. Now this is my own editing (finding my way) preference at present but you would tweak it to suit your tastes.

Thanks Lee! Beautiful! Now I see how it's used. Previously I thought it was ONLY for scenes that metered too high and low at the same time such as photos with immensely bright skies as well as really dark foregrounds.

So this leads me to another question. How did you set your camera's contrast? Was the ADR off or on, and if it was on, which one? Thanks! ;)

Lee

I believe I shot that in manual mode and tecnically broke the rules for bracketed exposures for HDR. I set the aperture I wanted and the shutter speed but had to up the ISO to 640 because that particular one was handheld as I'd packed my tripod and the museum was closing lol. Although I did shoot in aperture priority where possible, the lighting conditions in there had their challenges as the light coming through the skylights was quite harsh and there were sections where it was really dark ....... so sometimes my camera's meter for the 'correct' exposure on A mode was right off leaving the subject totally under exposed.

The advice I was given on here and which makes perfect sense is to stick with aperture priority and when that was not possible not to mess with the aperture and to only adjust shutter speed which is what I did in this case. You make a valid point although you may not have realized it in that this shot was not necessarily one which called for bracketing, but being determined to try it out, I figured if I bracketed anything I thought could work, I had my correct exposure to save if it didn't seem appropriate and more to play with to get a feel for the software.

I had the camera set to vivid most of the day.