High ISO Magenta Noise Again

petr

ok, here is a bit larger file

DSC_3879.jpg

mikew_RIP

Just downloaded the latest file and its half the size of the other,going to bow out now,to be honest i have my doubts about your problem,your under exposing and expecting great results and dont understand file size,we are not going to get anywhere.

Horoscope Fish

Just downloaded the latest file and its half the size of the other,going to bow out now,to be honest i have my doubts about your problem,your under exposing and expecting great results and dont understand file size,we are not going to get anywhere.
I agree; this is going nowhere.

@petr if you are convinced there is a problem, send your camera to Nikon for assessment and/or repair based on their findings.

Blacktop

There is nothing we can do without you uploading a properly exposed image. If you want to check an image at ISO 12,800. then go outside, put the camera in aperture priority. Set it at whatever aperture you want, set the ISO at 12,800 and the camera will pick a shutter speed. Your shot should now be properly exposed.
Your church shot is way under exposed and you are pulling exposure up in post.

petr

I tried to upload the largest jpg file I can get from nef in nx-d software but this site does not accept so big file. So I lowered the resolution to make it smaller for upload. Can't find any info here what is max acceptable size for upload.
When the uploaded image was taken, my camera was set to manual, aperture open to max 2.8 and auto iso (with the shortest exposure time preset to 1/125). I did not do any post alternating or pulling shadows up, this is what the camera exposed and saw through the lens, it was that dark. I had no intention to make the picture look brighter than the original real light conditions outside were.
But you all are right, this kind of communicating does not help much and goes nowhere which makes me kind of tired already. I will find some other way to help myself. Thanks for your replies anyway.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Good Luck. Good exposure knowledge might solve your "problem". As I mentioned before, lousy light = lousy picture.

Somersetscott

I've had the D750 for over a year now and shot 15+ weddings, I favour not using flash and go upto ISO10,000 otherwise I find the images unusable (personal taste). I only notice issues with magenta speckling/cast in shadows when I've poorly exposed (under exposed) then gone to sort the image out in post-production via exposure and lifting the shadows. Often if the moment is an absolute corker I'd try going heavy on the blacks slider and that usually clears it. If not a black and white image and quite a lot of contrast.

That said it is a rare occurrence for me.

Hope you find something that works for you.

petr

Thank you Somersetscott,

I also prefer flashless photos and in many situations there isn't even any other way around than dealing with extreme high ISO noise in post. I often must use minus exposure compensation and underexpose deliberately to gain shorter exposure times in low light to keep people in motion reasonable sharp and then in post go back using plus exp. compensation to make the image look acceptable normal. And yes, b&w version is sometimes a lifesaver.

Samo

Personally I feel 2.8 with 125 shutter in the dark is asking a little much of any camera probably even with a Noct or 28/1.4 afd. I have a Df which is cleaner at high iso than the 750 and I doubt it would do much better with 2.8/125 but then again I wouldn't use that.

It would be nice if cameras could get the same IQ and dr as our eyeballs but unfortunately they are not there yet.

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

I dont have mine any more,high ISO problems was not the reason though,that was one aspect i was pleased with,hell i was pleased with all of it apart from the weight with a 150-600 on.:D

ISO 11400

22319012032_952e8e9528_o (1).jpg

petr

Flashless low light photography of objects in motion is demanding top notch technology and skills. No doubt abou it. The more I deal with it the more I realize how good human eye is, needless to mention cat's eye capabilities in low light. But the challenge is tempting and I love it no matter how often I screw my high ISO photos. Sometimes using a speedlite feels obsolete to me and I always preffer noisy high iso to flat bright shiny flash imput. Natural light is the look peaople are used to for ages. Since practice makes perfect, I yesterday gave another try to capture dancing people without flash indoor with dimmed lights. Some of them are not goog for a public presentation, however other ones surprised me how good they turn after some post process. Yes, D 750 is hell good and I am getting slowly but surely better to make the best use of it. Sometimes I wish to compare it hands on with the amazing SLT Sony alpha 99.