high end 3rd party flashes-so many to choose from

SteveH

what about the godox tt685 , i can get it for 168 aud , x1n trigger is made but it isnt on ebay yet been waiting for it to be available all week , it has radio reciever built in , ttl , hss , pc sync port , external battery port , just no lithium battery or it would of been even better but they must of went away from lithium for some reason as it was on their previous model , most comments about the lithium battery i read were they rock , anyone had any experience with godox , compared to the shanny 910ex which is very expensive on ebay although i just got them down to 163 aud a piece if i buy two but add 30 dollars each for freight , so $193 each , trigger is being made for the shanny apparently , so is it shanny or godox or wait for yongnuo to release a radio recived flash , dam they all miss something

Yes I don't think any flash has EVERYTHING you could want, but it is frustrating that Yongnuo released the 600-series flashes for Canon with built in receiver but haven't released one for Nikon. I use the 565's and 568's with the 622 transmitter and transceivers and they work great. The 622 remotes don't break the bank with a transmitter and 2 transceivers coming in at under £100.

egosbar

should i get the shanny 910ex or the godox tt685 im leaning towards the godox , already has a trigger in the x1n although i cant find it on ebay yet and its 30 dollars cheaper

Powerstroke2000

slow down with your personal comments. it serves no purpose to the thread. I didnt say anything about quality. please read first, then comment. and yes, today, you can get quality and performance for a great price. I think Nikon put there noses up in the air too high and are overcharging for their flash.

imo, no need to dish out $550 for a great quality flash. I dont think it offers twice the performance than a 3rd party mfr. not today. including grips which are very successful in sales. I could use that $300 for something else.

many people having success with 3rd party flashes. if someone owns one then I would like to hear their opinions. I dont think I asked anything unreasonable. If I said I want a high end 3rd part flash with nikon quality and all their features for $100, that would be something else. but in todays economy people have different priorities and flash is not on my list.

no, im not democrat, or republican.

Have to agree with you whole heartedly! You pay big $$ just for the Nikon name (as I did on my recent D750) and as a hobbiest, I don't necessarily need to quality a Pro needs, as my photos are for my own enjoyment, not to make $$. With that said, Nikon makes quality products, but many other 3rd parties now make quality that will definitely work for 'my' needs as well. I'm currently looking for a couple of lenses, and the two I like happen to be Nikon, but the price is 'way' out of my range, so I'll have to work my research, to see what else is available. I want a 14 - 24mm Nikon wide angle, and a 70 - 200mm VR SWM, but for my needs the pricing is truly pie in the sky...for my needs. I am just now looking for a flash, and after reading 'many' reviews, find the YN568 EX Yongnuo will be my choice. Picked up a used Crumpler 6 million bag, and will soon be looking for a capable tripod, as my current aluminum model works, but is quite heavy. I'm thankful Nikon has VR, and hope one day I can afford one of the used versions, as I have ET (essential tremor) so hand holding the camera is a chore for me. Will have to continue on with my current two Sigma lenses, and work up from there!

Horoscope Fish

In the past several months I've come to own a Nikon SB-700, a Yongnuo 565EX and a Yongnuo 568EX. There's still a Yongnuo 468-II around here somewhere but it doesn't see much use these days. Given a choice between the SB-700 and the Yongnuo 568EX it's an easy choice for me, I much prefer working with the Yongnuo 568EX.

All the Yongnuo flashes we've used have been nothing but a joy to use and all of them have been 100% reliable for us. I really don't see the point in paying Nikon's exorbitant prices for flash units.

RocketCowboy

Curious. How is the YN568 working out for you?

Was that directed to @Powerstroke2000, or anyone who has the YN568?

I've got three 568s and have been very happy with them. The only time I've really switched back to the SB910 was when doing event photography in 7 hour stints where I wanted/needed an external battery pack to assist with faster recycle time. Since the 568 doesn't have the option for an external power source, the SB910 I already had did a better job. Otherwise, the 568s pretty much go where ever I go.

OwenCoop

Was that directed to @Powerstroke2000, or anyone who has the YN568?

I've got three 568s and have been very happy with them. The only time I've really switched back to the SB910 was when doing event photography in 7 hour stints where I wanted/needed an external battery pack to assist with faster recycle time. Since the 568 doesn't have the option for an external power source, the SB910 I already had did a better job. Otherwise, the 568s pretty much go where ever I go.

My bad... The post was directed to @Powerstroke2000.