Hi from the Valley of California

fingernails

​So what closed the deal for you?

Well, the name. lol. Nikon is my first choice. Other than that, the quality of pictures taken. I plan to take a lot of landscape and a few portraits, Nikon I feel, meets that. Although canon is great too, I just haven't looked into Canon cameras yet.

fingernails

I've only bought a refurbished lens a few months back. Other than the brown box, it was absolutely new. No signs of use, no tell-tale marks on the mount. No dust, no fingerprints. Other people here have bought many refurbished lenses and bodies with the same experience. With Cameta giving a 1 year warranty, I don't think you can go wrong. I believe refurbs are mainly returns during a store's return period. I HAVE NO DATA, I'M JUST GUESSING, but I would bet a large percentage of refurbs were returned just because the customer changed his mind or didn't know how to use it. They go back to Nikon, get checked out, and sold as refurbs. There are no real lemon-like problems on the d7000 or any of the d5x00 either. I don't think any big problem or well worn cameras will end up in the refurb stream. If someone's camera starts acting up after 6 months, its theirs forever. They send it in to Nikon and they fix it and return the same camera to the same owner. No routine exchanges. A 'Used' camera would be a different story. That could be worn out or have ongoing problems and probably has not been checked out by Nikon.

I understand your concern, I just returned my daughter's iphone with a bad power button and got a refurb back with a good power button, but a poorly focusing camera. I don't think we have seen refurb problems with Nikons.

Thanks for your input. Sounds all positive to me about refurb Nikon. I should check it out then. hopefully more individuals give me more inputs on getting refurb Nikon cameras and lenses. :D
I've seen used cameras while out on market hunting for a camera and oh my, it was all scratched, lens not taken care of, shutter not opening. It was a sad sight. :(