Hi from London

I am a new Nikon user. Bought the 'Zfc' to replace my much loved Pentax K30 that developed technical issues.

Loving camera, perfect size and weight means I am much more likely to take it with me.

Mostly using for pleasure, travel, history and gardens but also use for work, am a genealogist and often take photos in archives of old documents etc.

Clovishound

Welcome. Hope you enjoy the forum. There are lots of talented folks here that are willing to share their knowledge and enthusiasm.

Hope you don't mind a little anecdote from your mention of genealogy. My wife has been into genealogy for many years. Years ago was into photography and did B&W darkroom work. My wife got me to copy old family photos. I spent hours trying filters, and different development techniques, dodging, burning, different contrast papers etc. Most of the time the copies were not very good. Enter the computer world, and she bought her first flat bed scanner. With little to no training in photography, she scanned her first photo, spent a couple minutes in the post processing software that came with the scanner, and she had a product 10 times better than I was ever able to produce.

It was good news, bad news. The good news was I no longer needed to spent frustrating hours with an aspect of photography I wasn't really interested in. The bad news was all the time and effect I had done was for nothing. She scanned all the pictures I had worked on and processed them herself. FWIW, she got very good at cleaning up damaged pictures.

nikonbill

Contributor
Welcome congratulations on the Zfc, I think you will enjoy the camara as you indicated its perfect for what you describe and more.

Hope you enjoy the site! Jump in and have fun

Welcome. Hope you enjoy the forum. There are lots of talented folks here that are willing to share their knowledge and enthusiasm.

Hope you don't mind a little anecdote from your mention of genealogy. My wife has been into genealogy for many years. Years ago was into photography and did B&W darkroom work. My wife got me to copy old family photos. I spent hours trying filters, and different development techniques, dodging, burning, different contrast papers etc. Most of the time the copies were not very good. Enter the computer world, and she bought her first flat bed scanner. With little to no training in photography, she scanned her first photo, spent a couple minutes in the post processing software that came with the scanner, and she had a product 10 times better than I was ever able to produce.

It was good news, bad news. The good news was I no longer needed to spent frustrating hours with an aspect of photography I wasn't really interested in. The bad news was all the time and effect I had done was for nothing. She scanned all the pictures I had worked on and processed them herself. FWIW, she got very good at cleaning up damaged pictures.
I have recently inherited photo/document archives from both my maternal & paternal families, going to take me my life time to digitise!
I also have a flat bed scanner and my husband is taking care of the slides.
Have set aside Christmas break for scanning. Invested in archival folders etc. to preserve originals.

Clovishound

I have recently inherited photo/document archives from both my maternal & paternal families, going to take me my life time to digitise!
I also have a flat bed scanner and my husband is taking care of the slides.
Have set aside Christmas break for scanning. Invested in archival folders etc. to preserve originals.
There will likely be some gems amongst them. I have a couple pictures of my grandfather working as a cowboy just prior to WWI. My wife has many 19th century photos of her family. She has made copies of of them available to one of the local archive organizations. I think preserving old photos is important. They show a slice of life in previous times that you just can't get from reading about life in the 19th and early 20th century.