Hi all, please help, new D5500 Sensor defect?

Photographic Memory

You're not going to believe this, I need some serious advice here PLEASE…
So HDEW Cameras were compliant and today Fed-ex delivered another, brand new D5500. I opened the box, nervous this particular model wouldn't be in as perfect *looking* condition as the one I sent back. It was, even better packaged this time. First thing I did was take a JPEG and check Shutter Count... Yes! '1'. Then I remembered to check for this purple banding, it seems I am looking for it now subconsciously on all photos. Initially I didn't see it, but I was a bag of nerves. Remembering that what was producing it before was low light, higher ISO than 100 so I closed the blinds, took a shot at 800 ISO 1/80s to match a previous 'mismatch'…

SAME EXACT PROBLEM!! What the h***! How can this be? I will attach these test shots and if anyone wants me to send NEFs I can do so. I just don't know what to do here, admittedly these are low light shots and the pictures in "normal light" are fine. If I was none-the-wiser I would just put it down to cranking up the shadows and exposure in post, but a) the reason I bought this D5500 was for this model being notoriously good for low light, even bought a brand new AF-S 35mm 1.8g to compliment this "feature" and b) going through my D3300 photos over the last year the ones with similar settings (underexposed on purpose) show clear from top to bottom no purple 'Amp Glow'

I am at a loss here, thinking I will just keep the camera because this is just too much stress to even apply to send it back. It was "only" £409 brand new so… ?

I feel like reaching out to any experts in this phenomenon, experts in the field of DSLR Sensors. How can 2, brand new D5500's have exact same problem? DSC_0007_00001Capture NX-D_01.jpg
_DSC0009_00003Capture NX-D.jpg

Danno

I had something similar happen for me when I have tried to salvage a shot that was just to underexposed. Sometimes when I take a sunrise to keep from blowing out the sky I purposely underexpose the foreground and if I try to pull any detail out of it I will get this purple haze. I just have to dial the foreground back down, but that is just my experience.

Usually, when I have this condition the histogram is pretty far to the left.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Proper exposure might solve your "sensor's" problem... A severely underexposed image will show this kind of behavior when seen at 100% on the computer's screen.

When there is not enough light, the image suffers. Sensors only catch the light that is there. Extremely low light usually don't make nice images.

Photographic Memory

Proper exposure might solve your "sensor's" problem... A severely underexposed image will show this kind of behavior when seen at 100% on the computer's screen.

When there is not enough light, the image suffers. Sensors only catch the light that is there. Extremely low light usually don't make nice images.
Today I have been shooting in broad Daylight and all the Pictures look crisp. I am seriously considering maybe I need to alter my Shooting style and instead "ETTR" from now on. At this moment I want to keep it. Too much headache even contemplating sending this one back…

The reason I decided on the D5500 is because a few weeks ago I started Night Shots (long Exposure on a Tripod) with my then D3300. I was capturing lovely Photos, but the Noise was horrendous. After extensive research I read all over the place the D5500, while perhaps having the same 'Sensor' is capable of brilliant High-ISO and Low-Light (Recovery) Shots. (This was evident to me when showing the Photos From the start, the amount of crisp, clear "recovery" on the top 3/4's of the Photos I was taking was amazing. However, down the bottom we have that 'Amp Glow'. There is no denying this, it is blatantly evident. Thus I went through my D3300 archives (both then and again today) and some similar shots (e.g. 1/80s, 800 ISO, whatever Aperture) and pulled out the Shadows and increased Exposure and even on the D3300 they are uniform, no Purple Amp Glow to be found.
I also bought this AF-S 35mm 1.8g to take advantage of this new D5500 in Low-Light.

But now? I just am amazed at the quality of these Photos - in good light! I guess I will "cut my losses" and realize I have more to gain than lose. At this point in time. I will email HDEW, and thank them. If I had more money I would maybe have risked asking for a D5600 just because, but that is an additional chunk, and it isn't really an "upgrade". I am tires, was up all night, knowing 'Fed-ex' was to deliver today and I didn't want to risk missing the delivery so I just need to rest, this takes a lot out of us, you understand. Just having it in my mind that I actually have a decent camera (fully functioning at least in good light) will do for me now, it keeps my spirits up knowing this. It could be worse. In fact, what I am most upset about right now is the fact the Screen Protector I got from Amazon that came with the Silicone Case is all bent up. Luckily I have another one which I ordered by mistake for the D5300 and whereas not a perfect fit, I snapped the corners and it does its job.

As requested I will post some lovely photos here in due time from this awesome D5500 and look forward to becoming a productive, contributing member on this forum. Thank you for welcoming me :)

P.S. I emailed Thom Hogan regarding my issue and he asked if I have Long Exposure Noise Reduction on or something. I replied I didn't, and sent him my examples of said Amp Glow. We will see his advice. But I can't go through all this again. I don't like being without my Nikon DSLR

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk