Help!!! D7200 or D610?

jc32750

I have been tearing my hair out over this!
Four years ago I started with a D3100, two years later came a D5200, now another two years on, I would like to upgrade to either the 7200 or 610. After bombarding myself with written reviews and videos I really can't decide and It's driving me nuts!
I shoot literally everthing, but mostly street portraits (d610?) and football (d7200?). I already have lenses compatible with both DX and FX formats.
Some of the reasons for upgrading are that I find the the viewfinder on the 5200 too small, so quite often I don't see objects that are detrimental to the shot. With our lovely British winters I need some weather protection. On dull days I have to push the ISO higher than I like to get a decent shutter speed for football, resulting in grainy prints!
I've read the whole DX vs FX thing, all the supposed pros and cons, and as for the comment "if you need to ask why you need FX you don't need it." What the hell does that mean?
I'm hoping someone with real world experience of both cameras could put me out of my misery!
I have attached two of my typical photos.
Thanks
Rob
View attachment 267743View attachment 267744

My 2 cents.
D850 LOL. But really. Why not
Wait, next version of the F750 (D760??)
D500

I own the D500 and like it a lot. Mostly shoot birds in Florida and GT car racing Daytona and Sebring.

If I spent more time in national parks outside of Florida I'd purchase the new D850.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob shearing

A little follow up.
I've had the D7200 for a few weeks now and don't regret my purchase one little bit!
What a great camera, everything I hoped it would do better than my D5200 (which has served me well), it does. The autofocus is nothing short of amazing and the viewfinder offers up a so much bigger, brighter scene. I also have ISO 3200 shots that I am happy to print to A4 size, everything just feels right, I honestly can't see myself wanting any other camera!
Thanks for all the advice.
Rob

Bikerbrent

Congratulations, I know you will will really get a lot out of the D7200, I sure do out of mine. Frankly, at 71 and based on what Nikon did with the D500 and d7500, this is likely my last camera unless I win the lottery or something and get a D850.

lokatz

I've had the D7200 for a few weeks now and don't regret my purchase one little bit!

Congrats, and glad to hear you made the right choice. The D7200 is a very capable body and unless you have very special needs, it will keep you happy for a long time coming. If your wallet starts itching again at some point, remember that in 99 out of 100 cases, spending on glass is a better investment than spending on another body. :)

rob shearing

The D7200 and Sigma 17-50 2.8 combo I have seems to work really well, this lens is on the camera most of the time, it's a good copy and I think I would struggle to better it tbh. It's a great 'walk about' lens if a little short at the long end, but I don't mind getting in close.

Fortkentdad

A little follow up.
What a great camera, everything I hoped it would do better than my D5200 (which has served me well), it does. The autofocus is nothing short of amazing and the viewfinder offers up a so much bigger, brighter scene. I also have ISO 3200 shots that I am happy to print to A4 size, everything just feels right, I honestly can't see myself wanting any other camera!
Rob

No regrets is good

As for "can't see myself wanting any other camera" ... wow what self discipline, my wife can only wish I had such thoughts.

Enjoy the D7200 and post your results

Danno

A little follow up.
Rob

Really glad you are enjoying the D7200. It is a great camera. I look forward to seeing some of your shots.

rob shearing

Heres one rather moving shot from the Eastbourne Remembrance Day service.

. DSC_0178.jpg

editorial_use_only

Congrats on your new camera. The 7000 series are great cameras.

For what it's worth, a piece of advice. One of the sacrifices you make with a DX versus an FX body is high ISO performance; if you're a DX shooter, fast glass takes on some additional utility and importance. A stop can be the difference between the native ceiling and a Hi1, an image that is salvageable versus not.

Assuming that's your complete list of kit, you might just keep an eye out for a fast long/med lens. I know you have the 50/1.8 and a 105/2.8, but something like the 85/1.4D or 85/1.4G used possibly, or the Sigma 50-100/1.8. In my experience shooting DX, that stop so often meant the difference in getting the shot, between having to compromise shutter speed or ISO. If I was a DX shooter, that Sigma 50-100 is a lens I'd be very interested in. There's also the Nikon 105/2, 135/2, and of course the 105/1.4.