Hello from the Missouri Ozarks.

Grumpa

I'm anxously awaiting the arrival of a recently ordered D7100 and AF-S VR Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED lens. I've been a passionate lover of nature as long as I can remember and a year and a half ago I bought a P510 and started taking pictures of everything I saw in my wanderings. It's an awesome little point and shoot camera but it didn't take me to long to realize I needed to upgrade my equipment. I held off until now because of the cost of high end cameras and lenses. But a few days ago I had a golden opportunity to photograph a Bobcat and although I was able to at least record the event with my 510, the lackluster pics pushed me into finally buying something that hopefully will give me the kind of pics I'm really wanting. If I'm ever lucky enough to happen onto another Bobcat I want to be ready!

Have learned a lot with the 510 but have tons more to learn and this looks like a great place to get some advice from those much more knowledgeable than myself. I photograph everything from insects to whitetailed deer but my passion is birds and particularly birds of prey. Happy to be here! Looking forward to talking with all of you.

Grumpa

Thanks Don. I filled out my profile when I registered. Thanks for the links. I downloaded the D7100 manual yesterday and have been reading it while I wait for the camera to arrive. What a manual it is too! Looks like enough reading there to keep me occupied for a long time. ( :

singlerosa_RIP

Hello Grumpa and welcome from a fellow Missourian. I'm sure you'll love the 7100 and the 70-300 lens. I've taken many great shots over the years with the 70-300 on a couple of Nikon DSLRs. That lens might be one of the best values in the Nikkor lineup (right behind a 50 1.4). Good luck.

Bill16

Welcome to nikonites Grumpa! I hope you'll love it here with us! The people here have turned my spark of interest in photography in to a passion I think will last my lifetime, so I'm sure there will be plenty of people eager to help(if needed) and who will enjoy seeing your work too! :D

Grumpa

Thanks Jim. Nice to hear that you like the 70-300. I did a lot of research before deciding on it. So many different choices out there it's not easy sorting them all out without any experience behind me. This one sounded like it would work pretty good for me.