HDR with D3200?

Is it faster? I just use the scroll wheel when I am doing it, although I am getting confused by the different modes the camera works in, so it's not just that. I find I have to press the shutter release button halfway once and then adjust the exposure, then click on the remote with my left hand.

What do I need to calculate when I am doing this? It's all guess work isn't it, with some experience hopefully in the end.

Blacktop

Exposure compensation is changing the shutter speed.
If you want to go from ie... 1/600th to 1/300th you compensate by 1 stop.
1 stop of light either doubles or halves your shutter speed, depending on which way you're going. + or -

Good to know, cheers. Not really sure what the point of being able to adjust the exposure this way is really, I suppose it's just a little bit faster and works in increments of 1/2 or 2 making it easier to judge.

PaulPosition

Just to be more precise, EV compensation will change the shutter speed when you're in (A)aperture Priority mode (which you'd want to be, if not full manual, so that the depth of field doesn't change in between shots, which would happen if you were in Shutter priority). In full manual you would have to "calculate" because there's a lot of intermediary values for shutter speed, so out might be 6 clicks one way to expose at -1.7 and, say, 8 clicks the other way for +1.7... it's just easier doing it in A mode.

(Do make sure you're not on auto-ISO, too...)

Last edited:

Rick M

When I bracketed manually with a D3100, I would shot in Aperture mode and use EV compensation as mentioned. That seemed to be the fastest and most precise method for me.

How do I quickly change the exp compensation with the camera? Can see the buttons for aperture and fn is set to iso. I tried to change fn to exposure comp but it wouldn't let me.

PaulPosition

On the top, near shutter button, it's the one with -/+ on it (it's also colored half dark (-) and half light (+)). You press it and then turn the command dial and you'll get feedback both in viewfinder and LCD screen.

In M mode that button only changes the aperture. In aperture mode though it adjusts the EV. So should I be working in aperture mode then for this?

Just looked up the formula for EV = log 2 (N^2/t) where N= f-number and t=exposure.

The thing is though, this doesn't tally up with the EV reading on my camera when in A mode. If I increase the EV by one then the exposure increases by approximately 2, but the value the camera detects depends on the light (while EV remains constant).

What am I missing here?

aroy

I am always learning some thing new in this forum.

After reading this post, I tried the +/- with the wheel. Pressing the +/- selects the exposure compensation option. Each click changes the EV by a fixed amount. So as not to be confused while exposing, I set it to the maximum negative value that I want (-3EV). Then kept exposing and changing the EV monotonically. Worked perfectly.

The D3300 has the range of +-5EV with 1/3EV step, that means 30 steps if the full range is used. With the DR of this (and D3200) sensor, there is no need for 1/3EV step. One can skip 3 to 6 steps for 1EV or 2EV steps instead of 1/3 EV steps.

aroy

Here is HDR as processed with Photomatix (I installed it today)

Input Files
_DSC5934.jpg

_DSC5935.jpg

_DSC5937.jpg

HDR
_DSC5934-HDR.jpg

This is one case where the D3300 DR was of no help. The exposure range is about 8EV, and the displayed DR about 8EV (displayed), so the HDR was for about 16EV, while the sensor is 12.8EV. If I wanted to brighten the room up; as is needed for good interior images; an additional DR of 3-4EV is needed, making the range 20EV.

Last edited:

aroy

Tried in camera HDR.
. It uses only two exposures, so really high DR will not be feasible
. The output is jpeg, it does not even save the RAW for future

Though it does give reasonable image, it is fine when you want a quick fix, but comes no where near what you get with software on the computer. In short it is a feature more in tune with the P&S philosophy than with serious photography. Bracketing is infinitely more useful.

_DSC5938.jpg

The trees are in shade