HDR of Boston

Scott Murray

Is it sunrise or sunset? I personally would wait until the sun has nearly disappeared below the horizon or behind a building. Then take a few images, wait another 15 - 20mins for the lights to come on in the buildings and take another. This is a rough guide depending of course how it all pans out.

Blacktop

Another thing you could have done, is take two shots. Expose one for the highlights, and one for the darker area. Take the 2 shots into PS and blend them together.

glebulon

I was at the location at 2 pm, about 2-3 hours before sunset. This wasn't a planned sunset shot.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Scott Murray

I was at the location at 2 pm, about 2-3 hours before sunset. This wasn't a planned sunset shot.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Well then I would go back when the lighting is better and redo the shot, this one is lacking any punch, interest. Another thing you could do with this is crop the sun out and turn it into a black and white.

Woodyg3

Contributor
Being old school (I haven't explored HDR yet) this photo cries out for a split ND filter over the lens, despite what
Tony Northrup thinks about filters.

I agree that a graduated filter would help, but I have found that this can be done even better and more accurately in post processing most of the time.