Having trouble figuring out what to shoot...

fotojack

I've been into photography for over 40 years, and I just learned how to do Light Painting the other night! Was kinda fun. :)
Here's an example:

DSC_1977.jpg

Here's how I got this shot: D200 camera with 28-105 lens, on Manfrotto tripod. Shutter speed - 20 seconds, Manual Mode, Aperture - f8, ISO - 100, flashlight shone onto building for about 3 seconds. That's it!

Last edited:

GeoWes

So I purchased a D5200 a few months ago with the kit lens (18-55). Took a bunch of pictures of Flowers, my dogs, Kids, City of Pittsburgh when it was a nice day and not raing or hazy.....I'm running out of ideas of things to shoot. I feel I am limited with my lens. I would like to get a zoom lens so that I can take pics of my Daughters playing softball so they don't get camera shy but I have to save up for a lens. Any creative ideas I can shoot with my 18-55?

Get a set of close-up filters or some macro tubes and start looking through your home again. You may be amazed at what you can do with ordinary kitchen items when you are 1/2 inch away from them.

donaldjledet

Smoke Im thinking all the time while driving down the highways what is good to shoot here? Well just about every few miles I see something that looks good to shoot.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk HD

donaldjledet

Like right now while sitting here taking a few minute break from driving I hear a train horn blowing so I havemy camera ready when it gets to me.

When you think there is nothing to shoot think about this... someone here posted a link to a photographer that took a shot out of the same window every day for a year. All the same but never the same.

Like right now while sitting here taking a few minute break from driving I hear a train horn blowing so I havemy camera ready when it gets to me.

My wife and I were traveling recently and there was a train track running alongside the road. We passed a train so I sped up and found the next side road that crossed the tracks and parked and got out and waited for the train. I got some great shots but my wife's camera ran out of battery power after about 1 shot. She was not happy so we got back in the car and sped up and passed the train again and found the next crossing while my wife put in new batteries. We were waiting on the train again ready to shoot. The engineer has the funniest look on his face when he saw us shooting again.

mikew_RIP

When you think there is nothing to shoot think about this... someone here posted a link to a photographer that took a shot out of the same window every day for a year. All the same but never the same.

Or the chap that took one picture of a tree every week for a year to show the seasons.

White Canvas

So I purchased a D5200 a few months ago with the kit lens (18-55). Took a bunch of pictures of Flowers, my dogs, Kids, City of Pittsburgh when it was a nice day and not raing or hazy.....I'm running out of ideas of things to shoot. I feel I am limited with my lens. I would like to get a zoom lens so that I can take pics of my Daughters playing softball so they don't get camera shy but I have to save up for a lens. Any creative ideas I can shoot with my 18-55?

I have a D5200 as well and although extra lens are helpful in creating more interesting ways to capture images you still need to think of what to shoot. At the beginning of the year I decided to participate in a weekly themed challenge on Flickr in a group called #FlickrFriday.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/flickrfriday/pool/with/9381398628/#photo_9381398628

Each week it has pushed me to interpret the challenge using only the equipment, props, locations and people available to me and at the same time force me to try new things. Each Friday Flickr publishes a blog post featuring the images they feel best capture the previous weeks theme with a link to the wider pool of submissions. This week the theme is #DoubleExposure and here is my entry and my first time to explore this technique. http://whitecanvasimages.wordpress.com/2013/07/28/double-exposure-self-image/

If you would like to view each submission I have attempted check, out my #FlickrFriday set and you will see,you could do all of these with your current kit - http://flickr.com/gp/derekhall/1Gz2D2

I hope this is helpful and encouraging.

Derek

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

ShootingStar

Another thing you can do is participate right here in the Nikonites Monthly Assignment forum. This month's topic is space and night photography. No prizes, just a lot of fun seeing how each photographer interprets the topic. I'm rather new to the forum and so far I've participated in one assignment, black & white flower photos, back in June, and really enjoyed it.

Here's a link to the Monthly Assignments forum: Monthly Assignments Forum.