Hark's 2017

Samo

And these are from a Vietnam Veterans event going on through tomorrow. They planted thousands of small flags as a tribute to those who have died serving our country (not just from the Vietnam War).

The flag below is hung under a pavilion.

View attachment 257530

There are several of these silhouettes on display. Not sure if they are made from wood or metal but are flat.

View attachment 257531

View attachment 257532

View attachment 257533

I took this from the other side of the park. It is a magnificent view of the flag even from afar.

View attachment 257534

Cindy the camera and lens combination are good enough that I can plainly see the woodgrain through the paint in the silhouette shot. :)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Cindy the camera and lens combination are good enough that I can plainly see the woodgrain through the paint in the silhouette shot. :)

It can certainly be wood. I might stop back there this afternoon with a different camera/lens combo which will allow me to get closer photos and also have a greater DOF. I really need to pay more attention to my DOF with this 300mm lens on DX. Wow, it is much shallower than I expected! ;) Thanks, Samo.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Here are a few from yesterday.

Septa (Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority) knocked down the old train platforms plus is building a new above ground walkway to get from one side of the tracks to the other. Many years ago they installed an underground tunnel which quickly became an undesirable place although it was the only way to get back and forth. Surprisingly the station is still in use during construction. This is where they are at:

DSC_3627 low res.jpg

Then I went to a park with a lake--it was hot but didn't discourage people from fishing.

DSC_3630 low res.jpg

Although this gives the impression the one guy is trying to prevent me from taking his photo, I asked them to say hello. I clicked just a moment too soon. :rolleyes: They were both extremely nice and told me how the lake is so clear, the fish can see larger hooks. Plus they filled me in on other info about fishing. It was nice to learn a little something since I don't fish--they were quite amiable to share info. Just wish I had waited a moment longer to take their photo.

DSC_3638 liquify low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I haven't posted too many of my photos this year.

Here are a couple of eclipse shots (also shown in one of the eclipse threads). At times the sun was completely covered...by clouds! ;)

DSC_3480 low res.jpg

DSC_3482 low res.jpg

And here is a screen shot of a NEF showing my church building taken when an enormous cloud rolled by overhead. Exposed for the sky.

DSC_4069 Screen Shot.jpg

After editing.

DSC_4069 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I will be posting some photos out of order. These were taken today although I have some taken in the past that never made it here.

This afternoon I took only my D7100 mounted with the 300mm and 1.4 teleconverter. That combo doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room for a variety of subjects.

This butterfly stopped on a path. Every so often it would slowly open its wings before closing them back up. Not sure if its wings were wet. It wasn't raining, but there was a lake close by.

DSC_3508 low res.jpg

This little guy/gal was accompanied by 2 other ducks, but with the combo I had, it was difficult to get more than one in the photo.

DSC_3516 low res.jpg

I have no idea what type of plant this is. This leaf was at least as large as my hand while others were somewhat larger. I think it is some type of bush...not a tree. Could be a weed for all I know. ;)

DSC_3535 low res.jpg

And this little guy/gal appeared only for a short time before disappearing back into the brush.

DSC_3540 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Yesterday I took a few images to possibly include as options for my church's 2018 wall calendar. I will give them @20 images and allow them to narrow down the final 14. This is one from yesterday.

The choir loft is directly in front of this wall so this is their view when looking up towards the cross. One thing that is sometimes challenging is to find new views to photograph when shooting the same building over and over. I posted this image on Facebook and was surprised to hear comments that several people like it. Quite often they don't like unusual views that I consider to be more artsy.

DSC_4314 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Cross-posting this first photo. It's also in the Monthly Challenge. This Halloween display was photographed in Washington Crossing, PA. The area is rich with history--George Washington had his soldiers cross the Delaware one Christmas which helped them win the Revolutionary War. The skeleton's garb is pretty fitting for the area.

DSC_4490 low res.jpg

This next image is Bowman's Hill Tower. Each year I go there and take at least one photo in memory of a high school classmate who loved the area. Unfortunately we aren't having a spectacular fall this year. The leaves haven't changed color much and are already falling from the trees.

DSC_3629 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
This was also taken yesterday; however, this is the paved roadway/path that runs through the Bowman's Hill Wildflower Preserve. Behind me and off to the left looked to be a wedding held in a clearing. This entire area is surrounded by a fence to help keep the deer out. The deer eat the foliage and wildflowers they are trying to protect.

DSC_4469 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
This is another one from yesterday. Bowman's Hill Tower sits atop one of the only hills in the immediate area. The drive up is much steeper than the drive down. On the way up, there is an abrupt right turn, and then drivers encounter a really sharp incline. Since no one was behind me, I put my SUV in park and got out to take this shot. It's a very steep drop with no guard rail. You can't tell that I'm standing on at least a 45 degree incline, but I am.

DSC_4411 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
There were from the end of August. The borough added a pier with docks to allow more people access to the town. The docks were pre-made but transported in pieces and assembled at this location. Bristol, Pennsylvania.

DSC_4124 low res.jpg

There is a second dock and walkway that is parallel to this one.

DSC_4144 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Yesterday I went back to see the updated outfit for George Washington. He was quite happy to say Cheese and gave me a big, toothy grin! ;)

DSC_4522 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
There is a local Scarecrow contest being held for the first year although there aren't too many entries. I think all of these were made by kids. The first is a tribute to Michael Jackson. Judging won't be held until November 3rd.

DSC_4601 low res.jpg

DSC_4603 low res.jpg

DSC_4604 low res.jpg

DSC_4605 low res.jpg

DSC_4607 low res.jpg

DSC_4608 low res.jpg

DSC_4609 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Whatever this is, it's along the edge of a small waterfalls. Nothing appears to be attached to the gear so I doubt it is being used.

DSC_4574 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I've been trying out a pre-owned Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 (wanting something for my Fm2n), but the exposure is inconsistent. I had to keep turning the +/- button up and down trying to nail something usable but am guessing the aperture blades are sticking once in a while. Meh. It will be sent back.

I had 30 minutes to kill unexpectedly yesterday afternoon in an area I'm not familiar with, but when I drove past this Garden Center, I decided these trees were too unique to miss.

I did ask for permission to photograph them just in case the garden center might be opposed. The lady was very nice and said I definitely wasn't the first to want to take photos. ;)

DSC_4819 low res.jpg

These are real trees planted into the ground. The woman said they are painted.

DSC_4821 low res.jpg

DSC_4832 low res.jpg

This old-fashioned train engine is unusual and festive for the holidays. Not sure if they keep it out year-round or not though.

DSC_4833 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Today when I fed the birds, this squirrel was frozen motionless. I wasn't sure how long he'd stay put but was still there after I grabbed my camera. He let me take this before moving to the other fence.

DSC_3647 low res.jpg

It's a good thing my Australian Shepherd wasn't with me. My Aussie despises the squirrel. You'd be amazed at the lightning speed this squirrel uses when running across the tops of fences. ;)

DSC_3650 low res.jpg