hark 2023

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I was searching for a state park and saw this along the way. It's mounted on a pole and seems to be a weather vane. It moves with the breeze.

_DSC1673 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
This concrete artwork wall was also located in the same parking lot as the airplane.

_DSC1676 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
On December 23rd, I saw a group of swans and took a few photos. Then when I stopped on December 24th, I was really surprised to see this one floating with its wings out. It reminds me of a Lenox swan. And even when I returned on Christmas Day, it continued to float with its wings out. I've never seen any of the swans in my area doing this before.

_5DX5071 low res.jpg

Robin W

On December 23rd, I saw a group of swans and took a few photos. Then when I stopped on December 24th, I was really surprised to see this one floating with its wings out. It reminds me of a Lenox swan. And even when I returned on Christmas Day, it continued to float with its wings out. I've never seen any of the swans in my area doing this before.

View attachment 399550
Maybe he is trying to attract the ladies. It is getting to be that time of year.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Your PA set is remarkable. Loved the landscapes but the bridge shots show me that I need to go to 'depth of field school'. All do really. Doped and done beautifully.

Sam
If you use a browser, there are EXIF add-ons you can use. Exify is one that was suggested for Nikonites - if it is available for your browser. That will let you know what settings were used.

Depth of field differs between focal lengths. For example, when comparing 24mm vs. 135mm when both are photographing a subject that is 30 feet away while using the same aperture of f/7.1 in this example, the 24mm will pretty much have everything in focus. Yet the 135mm will only have around a 7 foot depth of field that is in focus.

Wide angle lengths have more in focus than telephoto lenses. Of course, the aperture also contributes to depth of field. f/1.6 has a very shallow depth of field while f/22 will yield a greater depth of field.

How far away from your subject you are also contributes.

Overall, depth of field is dependent upon:

1. Focal length used
2. Aperture used
3. Distance between the camera and the subject.

I used the app Simple DoF Calculator for these images (can't remember how much it cost, but it was a one-time purchase). There are also free apps available.

1.PNG2.PNG

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I realize this thread is from 2023, but I don't yet have a new thread started for 2024.

So this morning I was watching Shirk Photography's tutorial on one of his actions called Intensify Action. Have any of you ever watched a movie in a theater where the sound was so loud, you can feel the vibrations in your chair? Well ... the sound effects were SO real, my chair started to shake along with the increasing volume of rumbling. It wasn't until I turned off the sound that I realized it was an earthquake - in Pennsylvania. :oops:

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I realize this thread is from 2023, but I don't yet have a new thread started for 2024.

So this morning I was watching Shirk Photography's tutorial on one of his actions called Intensify Action. Have any of you ever watched a movie in a theater where the sound was so loud, you can feel the vibrations in your chair? Well ... the sound effects were SO real, my chair started to shake along with the increasing volume of rumbling. It wasn't until I turned off the sound that I realized it was an earthquake - in Pennsylvania. :oops:
Hope there's no damage to your house. I told Chris to call his sister. She lives in Reading. Understand it was 4.8 in NY and NJ also.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Hope there's no damage to your house. I told Chris to call his sister. She lives in Reading. Understand it was 4.8 in NY and NJ also.
I heard that the NE had a quake. I hope you didn't sustain any damage.
All good here. Just about 15 minutes ago we had an aftershock. Marilynne, supposedly it was felt from Maine all the way down to Washington DC. The epicenter was near the Red Mill around Whitehouse Station, NJ. That's about 40 miles away. The thing is there's a fault line running through the area about 5-7 miles away, and it's tied into the fault line near the epicenter.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
All good here. Just about 15 minutes ago we had an aftershock. Marilynne, supposedly it was felt from Maine all the way down to Washington DC. The epicenter was near the Red Mill around Whitehouse Station, NJ. That's about 40 miles away. The thing is there's a fault line running through the area about 5-7 miles away, and it's tied into the fault line near the epicenter.
Glad all is good there. My nephew is in Philly and they're okay also. So is our niece in Shillington.