hark 2021

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I wanted to do something for this month's Light challenge, but the sun was still too high in the sky to do it.

_10K3544 low res.jpg

_10K3548 low res.jpg

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Got this in my e-mail today from Birdwatching magazine and thought of you. Any of them near you?

PENNSYLVANIA HOTSPOTS

Each issue of BirdWatching includes profiles of great birding locations written by local experts — our Hotspots Near You. In this new slideshow, we feature seven great birding hotspots in Pennsylvania and birds seen at each one. Enjoy!
https://www.birdwatchingdaily.com/l...ions/great-birding-locations-in-pennsylvania/

I haven't heard of any of these except one, Marilynne. Three of them are about an hour or less away!

• Peace Valley Nature Park, Doylestown
  • John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge at Tinicum, Philadelphia
  • Discovery Center, Philadelphia
Middle Creek WMA isn't close, but that's where hundreds of snow geese stop. When they arrive and leave, so many photographers go there to photograph them. I haven't heard of Hawk Mountain Sanctuary in Pennsylvania but have heard of Hawk Mountain in New Jersey. Unfortunately both are more than an hour away.

But all of these are interesting and give me something to consider in the future. Thanks! :)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I almost missed this sleeping beauty. This duck was hidden at the base of a bush with its colors blending in with the background.

_5DX4330 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
This first image was from the other day. Since the weather forecast was for rain Saturday, Sunday, and today, I wanted to be sure to capture this Veterans Park while the weather was still nice.

_10K3737 low res.jpg

Turns out the forecast changed late yesterday so today was pretty nice. This is the base of the Doughboy Statue which depicts a WWI Infantry Man. The entire statue was cleaned at some point last year.

_DSC6502 low res.jpg

And here is the Doughboy. They did a really nice job cleaning the statue. Previously it had black in most of its crevices.

_DSC6507 low res.jpg

And this is the flag that stands next to the Doughboy Statue. I found out the hard way that my D610's sensor needs a good cleaning. :shame: Shooting stopped down to create an in camera starburst from the sun can do that. ;)

_DSC6515 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Today and tomorrow is an event containing a display of over 65,000 American Flags in the shape and size of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall in Washington, DC. The flags are to remember the lives lost during the war as well as those who were POF/MIA. Volunteers planted over 65,000 flags in memory of those fallen soldiers.

These are one of the bands that performed.

_10K3867 low res.jpg

_10K3860 low res.jpg

_DSC0884 low res.jpg

_DSC0846 low res.jpg

_DSC0844 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
And this is the Veteran who organizes the annual event. The man was quite willing to let me take his photo, but he is very serious about this event. Plus between bands, he gives information.

After finishing this color image, I decided to play with it in The Nik Collection's Color Efex Pro to give it a little but of a nostalgic look.

_DSC0850 low res.jpg

_DSC0850 B&W low res.jpg

_DSC0850 sepia low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
While I was at a different spot taking a photo of the flag hanging from the crane, an attendee expressed her frustration with the flag not getting blown into a nice position. And honestly I encountered that most times, too. So I felt lucky being in the right place at the right time for this.

Tomorrow June 14th is Flag Day here in the USA. This flag event is to remember the lives lost or who were MIA/POW during the Vietnam War.

_10K3844 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Veterans standing in silence during the Repatriation Ceremony Sunday.

_DSC0904 low res.jpg

POW/MIA flag suspended high overhead by two fire trucks.

_10K3886 low res.jpg

Bugler playing Taps.

_DSC0910 low res.jpg

Bagpiper played Amazing Grace to close out this solemn ceremony.

_DSC0927 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I attended a historical reenactment today. Unfortunately it slipped my mind, and I didn't have a flash which would have helped with both images, plus I didn't have my 16-35mm with me.

When taking portraits, I've heard how green grass can be reflected up onto people so it's a good idea to use modifiers to help prevent it. Unfortunately I didn't have a flash with me, and quite honestly I wouldn't have even thought about it. Imagine my surprise when I chose this image as my favorite and saw the color cast. The first is a straight out of camera jpeg only resized for the forum.

_DSC0984 sooc low res.jpg

I spent time with the adjustment brush in Camera RAW to tone down the green.

_DSC0984 low res.jpg

In the following image, there wasn't any type of light used other than what came in through the window and the open door. The green and mauve tints really surprised me as the room didn't look this way in person. The 16-35mm would have been helpful here since the room was really small; however, I didn't realize this log cabin would be open. Usually it's only available with guided tours (which they were doing but I didn't know ahead of time).

_10K3951 sooc low res.jpg

Once again I made use of the adjustment brush in Camera RAW. I want to go back and darken the face/body of the woman in the middle. Unfortunately my hard drive is full. There was less than 1GB RAM while I was working in Photoshop - and it got to the point where I couldn't edit any additional images. So this edit is it for now.

One thing I had to do was to uncheck the lens profile. When it was checked, the image was stretched on both sides making the two women appear noticeably too wide.

_10K3951 - Copy low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I am still testing out my 300mm f/4 PF. However, this time I chose to use the shutter button for focusing and also set the body for AF-S instead of AF-C. This way the camera shouldn't take any out of focus images. Sure enough, everything was reasonably sharp. But I still notice the focus point that is illuminated on my rear screen isn't always on top of my subject. That's because the image shifts just when the shutter is actuated causing the focus point to be partially or completely off the subject. But since I was in AF-S, the focus didn't move.

_5DX5561 low res.jpg

Memorial Bench that the family keeps decorated.

_5DX5502 low res.jpg

Different Memorial Bench

_5DX5504 low res.jpg

Goldfinch that landed on the tree to the left of the first bench after I took some pics of the bench. Cropped somewhat.

_5DX5521 low res.jpg

Not sure what the following insect is although I've photographed these before. It landed there while I was taking pics. In its usual fashion, after a short period of time, it flew up and circled back around then landed on the branch again. Cropped quite a bit.

_5DX5529 low res.jpg

Dragonfly - also cropped quite a bit.

_5DX5540 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Yesterday's Hurricane Ida left 7 tornadoes in its wake between New Jersey and Pennsylvania. This one crossed over from New Jersey into Pennsylvania right at the Burlington Bristol Bridge.

The storm left many roads impassable due to flooding from Philadelphia up into New Jersey. By the time I headed out today, either those roads were closed so no way to take any photos, or the water had already receded.

There is a levee in Morrisville - its retaining wall must be 25 - 30 feet high. The people sitting on the bench are on top of the levee. Although the water looks to be immensely high, it must must have been at least 10 feet below the top. BUT high tide wasn't due in until later after I took photos today. And in case you are wondering, yes there is a path that runs along the top of the levee between the Calhoun Street Bridge and the Trenton Makes Bridge.

_10K4145 low res.jpg

Below is the Trenton Makes Bridge. The water on my side of the bridge was flowing quickly but smoothly yet when it got to the opposite side of the bridge, the water suddenly resembled rapids.

_10K4155 low res.jpg

_10K4160 low res.jpg

Then a little further south (probably less than 1/4 mile), the flooding is more evident. The levee is only located in a certain area so anything south of there is at risk for flooding. I don't ever recall seeing the water level this high. Usually these trees are on dry soil.

_10K4180 low res.jpg

Dawg Pics

Great images.
My brothers' properties are on a river right in the path of Ida in Louisiana. I don't know if it was a Category 2 or 3 when it got to their area, but both had damage to their properties. They were smart enough not to be there when it went through. I think they clocked 147 mph winds in Grand Isle, which is on the coast.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Hopefully you had no significant problems!

Fortunately no problems right here. Yesterday morning I attended a viewing then went out to see the devastation. This off ramp from a state road (which exits onto another state road) was a mess with the tree blocking more than half of the exit. Despite reporting it to the state online, it took them hours to clear it. Unfortunately the township won't step in to help in these types of situations.

People were getting a little anxious because they didn't want it sitting there after dark. Eventually it was cleared not too long before dusk.

_10K4202 low res.jpg

_10K4203 low res.jpg

Great images.
My brothers' properties are on a river right in the path of Ida in Louisiana. I don't know if it was a Category 2 or 3 when it got to their area, but both had damage to their properties. They were smart enough not to be there when it went through. I think they clocked 147 mph winds in Grand Isle, which is on the coast.

Glad they were okay. This area of the US doesn't see many tornadoes at all so we don't have much experience with what to do. Back during Hurricane Sandy, a tornado caused immense damage. That was the first time I ever remember a tornado being anywhere near here. We are at sea level so there aren't any basements in these houses (dig down 6' to 8' and there's water). There aren't any shelters either. :indecisiveness:

I found this article telling one man's experience with the tornado while driving across that bridge. Further down in the article is another view of the tornado. He would have been headed away from the camera and was probably already on the bridge by the time that video started.

Levittown Man Who Drove Through Tornado Recounts Experience - LevittownNow.com