Happy Birthday Bill16!

Bill16

It doesn't save me money and is just a little something for my birthday buddy. Yes the battery grip for a D300,D700 will also work on the D300S. Getting a battery grip from my friend will save me money, and then I will have a grip for both my D700 and D300S without needing to swap it around all the time.

But buying a third Nikon is just a birthday desire, not a big practical buy. Though it does give me a cheaper Nikon to carry on days I might want to take a Nikon with me, when I don't want to risk my more expensive Nikon's.

But as I said this is just a birthday desire, and at the moment I can afford to buy it. :)

Bill16

Well it looks like the battery grip will have to wait, since I can't get the one my friend has. But it is no big deal since I can get an OEM grip for about $56.00, or one like new for $99.00. Lol :)

Maybe next month, or the month after that. :)

I am getting excited to get the D300S and wondering how much better it will be than the D300 I use to have.I am sure it will be fun, since the D300 was a fun Nikon to shoot with. I admit I have missed having the D300 at times, and so I am cheered at the thought of getting this D300S a step up from it.:)

hrstrat57

Missed this birthday bash! Not spending much time surfing forums lately been out real life surfing (well more paddling vs surfing ha ha tiny waves are about)

D300s is IMHO the best value in photography today/ killer cam - limited only by lack of performance over say ISO 1200.
@Bill16 your fast glass will take care of that.

didnt you just give away an MBD-10 btw/ I seem to recall requesting dibs and losing......

Last edited:

Bill16

Yes I am hoping to have a blast with the D300S! You make it sound great my friend!

Yes a while back I did give a mb-d10 battery grip away. Lol Had I known you wanted it before giving it away, I would have given it to you buddy! Lol But someone beat you to it! Lol :)

Now I will have to buy another one, since I decided to get that D300S! Lol Round and around she goes!lol :)

Missed this birthday bash! Not spending much time surfing forums lately been out real life surfing (well more paddling vs surfing ha ha tiny waves are about)

D300s is IMHO the best value in photography today/ killer cam - limited only by lack of performance over say ISO 1200.
@Bill16 your fast glass will take care of that.

didnt you just give away an MBD-10 btw/ I seem to recall requesting dibs and losing......

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm having trouble wrapping my head around wanting a D300s when a D7100 offers so much more in terms of image quality. I realize the D300s is a pro body while the D7100 isn't, but for the style photography you do, I'm having trouble seeing the necessity. And the D7100 body is made up of magnesium alloy with weather sealing. Here is info from Nikon's web site.

The body is also durable as it employs magnesium alloy for the top and rear covers. With effective sealing applied on various parts of the body, it secures weather and dust resistance, equivalent to the D800 series and D300S.

The sensor results of images between a D300s and D90 will be similar, and since I've used (and still own) my D90, the results from my D7100 are far superior in image quality over my D90 especially when it comes to noise and low light capabilities.

Still...you are certainly entitled to get what you desire so I wish you the best and hope it comes to fruition for you. ;)

Bill16

It isn't a need thing my friend. My D800e handles my serious needs just great. It is just a fun thing, since I missed my old D300. I never liked the feel of the D7100 to be honest, and it cost a little more too.

The small files are also easier to work with, and sometimes I would like to use a DX Nikon. The D300S just seemed to be perfect for my budget, and will be fun to use! Lol:)

Anyway this is just a fun thing for me, and since I missed my D300, the D300S seemed to be the best choice. :)

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around wanting a D300s when a D7100 offers so much more in terms of image quality. I realize the D300s is a pro body while the D7100 isn't, but for the style photography you do, I'm having trouble seeing the necessity. And the D7100 body is made up of magnesium alloy with weather sealing. Here is info from Nikon's web site.

The sensor results of images between a D300s and D90 will be similar, and since I've used (and still own) my D90, the results from my D7100 are far superior in image quality over my D90 especially when it comes to noise and low light capabilities.

Still...you are certainly entitled to get what you desire so I wish you the best and hope it comes to fruition for you. ;)

hrstrat57

Yes I am hoping to have a blast with the D300S! You make it sound great my friend!

Yes a while back I did give a mb-d10 battery grip away. Lol Had I known you wanted it before giving it away, I would have given it to you buddy! Lol But someone beat you to it! Lol :)

Now I will have to buy another one, since I decided to get that D300S! Lol Round and around she goes!lol :)

Hook up an MB-D10 and a long fast Nikkor, set focus on C and nothing escapes coupled with the pro controls and buffer! Woo hoo! Action sports, auto racing, fast birds and animals..... Boom!

nice call Bill!

Bill16

Thanks buddy! I don't currently have any long fast glass. But I figure it will be fun anyway! Lol ;)

I will have to make do with my Nikkor 80-400mm. It is a bit slow, but it is all I have for critters.

Hook up an MB-D10 and a long fast Nikkor, set focus on C and nothing escapes coupled with the pro controls and buffer! Woo hoo! Action sports, auto racing, fast birds and animals..... Boom!

nice call Bill!