Super Mod
OK, so I ran this through my workflow, which is as follows:
0. Open in Photoshop with no prior adjustments other than cropping in Lightroom
1. Topaz Denoise AI
2. Camera Raw Filter
3. Local dodging and burning
4. Add blur to background if needed or desired
5. Topaz Adjust AI to sharpen

OK, with yours I simply used 1, 2, and 5....

Thank you for the detailed explanation in your original post, Jake. Although I still don't have any Topaz products, I appreciate knowing what things work well in that software. At some point, I will be purchasing it - and when I do, it will be thru your link. ;)

Woodyg3

Contributor
Since I have only been using DeNoise and Sharpen for a few days, I'm very interested in learning more. Thanks to everyone who has posted. I'll just add that even my new iMac with 40Gigs of RAM and a very fast processor and GPU can take a while to save a file. Sometimes a minute or so. I am saving to an external mechanical drive rather than an SSD, so I assume the speed could be faster with an external SSD. I tend to use these tools only when I can't get the results I want from Lightroom and Photoshop. Mostly this means high ISO or saving a pic that has soft focus or subject blur.

Andy W

Jake, I tried to mimic your settings, but I used 15 on the denoise, I forgot that you used 10, so this is 15-40-0-0. Raw file denoised first, then some LR adjustments.

The tennis net looking grid is back for some reason. ??

9600-dn-2.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Andy, are you working in 16-bits or 8-bits? When the file is open in Photoshop, go to Image then to Mode. There you should see whether the file is 8-bits or 16-bits. Something I remember learning is banding can occur in 8-bits. Just curious if that has anything to do with it.

BackdoorArts

I'm wondering if this is a result of processing power or even OS. I'm on an old Macbook Pro with 16GB RAM. I know you said you're running with 12GB on an old Dell so there may be something there. Just a wild guess.

Andy W

It very well may be something with my old PC. Today is my last day of the 30 day Denoise trial and I started a trial with Studio 2 a couple days ago. So far it looks promising. I'll keep you updated on how it works.

Thanks for all of the help everyone!

Patrick M

I’ve seen banding...and it’s often spoken of in various forums, as a result of silent shutter as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andy W

Thank you for the detailed explanation in your original post, Jake. Although I still don't have any Topaz products, I appreciate knowing what things work well in that software. At some point, I will be purchasing it - and when I do, it will be thru your link. ;)

What link is that?

edwardbarnett

Background can be really tough to work with. Each client has different requests and you have to adapt to them. I have been doing photography for a couple of years now and I must tell you that I've seen so many different people. One time, I had to use an (removed link) because the customer wanted a different background. It was terrible because there were 200 photos. Let's just say that I have stopped telling people that I can change the background after that haha. It was a unique experience, that's for sure

Last edited by a moderator: