Grey Market D750's - $450 off

grandpaw

I seem to disagree. Does it have a Nikon serial number or not? That is all that should matter for paid repair.

=====================================================

Here in Europe some break the market, at my cheap official dealer the price of a D750 is: 2149 Eur
eglobalcentral.eu 1490 Eur (Please note that all our products are imported goods and will not come with manufacturer's warranty )
purnimadigital.com 1569 Eur (stating warranty in France)

At the end of the life cycle the price difference is very low though. e-bay has less interesting prices.

See post #13 in this thread. I am in the United States amd I called Nikon USA and asked what the policy is. It may be different where you are.

rocketman122

Who will work on your grey camera when the 3-5 years is up? Or do you sell it to someone who wouldn't know it's a grey market camera, and then they are left with a camera that can't be repaired because it's grey? Just wondering.

btw, mack is a US company and most of their sold warranties are in the US. I think theyre in NJ. but they somehow have connections and get their gear repaired with nikon parts. so I have no doubt theyll repair the gear to spec. maybe send them an email and ask.

nikon in my country is a very pathetic store/lab. it looks like it hasnt been renovated since they opened in 1980 or so. ragged carpet, thick layers of pain and display cases from the 70's. the lab is slow and very incompetent and most of the repairs is sent to japan because they dont have the skill nor properly tools to do thorough repairs. I should use my spy cam to videotape them so others can see how pathetic it looks. they charge extreme prices for gear and give crap service, so the majority here dont buy legit nikon gear (imported through nikon here) but grey market. they get great service fast repairs and excellent price. so you can see why the nikon store here is at its low.

one of the major repair places here that does a huge amount of repairs in my country is the authorized repair center for mack. so if you have mack, you bring it to them and they repair it. this lab has close ties with the nikon here as well and have partnered with them for many years. so basically nikon here orders all parts for him and he does the repairs. he has much better repair equipment than the nikon (although far from being able to repair a failed SWM for example) here but he also does repair for nikon they cannot do.

so you now see the clear picture here. if I was in the US, I would buy the refurbed D750 without a winks hesitation and go with the diamond warranty (they offer intl and US versions) which offeres an all risk warranty for 3 or 5 years. better than anything youll get from nikon. @singerlrosa D7000 fell I believe and payed a huge repair bill on it. there are other warranties besides mack btw.

heres one by leaf

New Leaf PLUS 5 Year Drops & Spills, for Digital Cameras up to $3000 DIA5U3K

sonicbuffalo_RIP

btw, mack is a US company and most of their sold warranties are in the US. I think theyre in NJ. but they somehow have connections and get their gear repaired with nikon parts. so I have no doubt theyll repair the gear to spec. maybe send them an email and ask.

nikon in my country is a very pathetic store/lab. it looks like it hasnt been renovated since they opened in 1980 or so. ragged carpet, thick layers of pain and display cases from the 70's. the lab is slow and very incompetent and most of the repairs is sent to japan because they dont have the skill nor properly tools to do thorough repairs. I should use my spy cam to videotape them so others can see how pathetic it looks. they charge extreme prices for gear and give crap service, so the majority here dont buy legit nikon gear (imported through nikon here) but grey market. they get great service fast repairs and excellent price. so you can see why the nikon store here is at its low.

one of the major repair places here that does a huge amount of repairs in my country is the authorized repair center for mack. so if you have mack, you bring it to them and they repair it. this lab has close ties with the nikon here as well and have partnered with them for many years. so basically nikon here orders all parts for him and he does the repairs. he has much better repair equipment than the nikon (although far from being able to repair a failed SWM for example) here but he also does repair for nikon they cannot do.

so you now see the clear picture here. if I was in the US, I would buy the refurbed D750 without a winks hesitation and go with the diamond warranty (they offer intl and US versions) which offeres an all risk warranty for 3 or 5 years. better than anything youll get from nikon. @singerlrosa D7000 fell I believe and payed a huge repair bill on it. there are other warranties besides mack btw.

heres one by leaf

New Leaf PLUS 5 Year Drops & Spills, for Digital Cameras up to $3000 DIA5U3K

Thanks.....but keep in mind....Nikon says it will not work on Grey market cameras in the US. SO the question is..."....after the warranty is up...who will work on the camera in the U.S.?...." Thanks for the feedback...and I now realize that you live across the pond.

rocketman122

sent mack a message. well see what they say. I think they themselves are a lab and repair in house. and like I said above, have "connections" with nikon and get oem parts direct from them, or could be they have connections with other labs like APS. who knows. I dont think there are 3rd party shutters for a D750 that they could slip in. these things arent worth counterfeiting.

I can tell you that weve had a D3 D3s and D4 shutters replaced under the warranty. now an sb910 fell to the floor on an outdoor G&B photo shoot and the screen is working partly and the 70-200 VR2 is going berzerk after 6 months of purchase.

Last edited:

rocketman122

and here it is.
mack.jpg

ive had my repair taken 3 months on 2 occassions (not with mack) but I dont believe this to be true for the vast majority of repairs. maybe for you whos in the US buying grey vs USA is something u might consider. for me and those who buy here, its almost completely bought GREY. we save a lot of money get great repair service by the mack authorized lab and I couldnt be happier.

something to think about.
I dont believe them though regarding 6 months and if it does, I think its the rare case. nikon isnt too great on repairs themselves anyway.

now to get info from leaf and see what they say.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

and here it is.
View attachment 125482

ive had my repair taken 3 months on 2 occassions (not with mack) but I dont believe this to be true for the vast majority of repairs. maybe for you whos in the US buying grey vs USA is something u might consider. for me and those who buy here, its almost completely bought GREY. we save a lot of money get great repair service by the mack authorized lab and I couldnt be happier.

something to think about.
I dont believe them though regarding 6 months and if it does, I think its the rare case. nikon isnt too great on repairs themselves anyway.

now to get info from leaf and see what they say.

Thanks Rocketman!

ttc546

Consumers vote with their feet and their wallet. I once bought a d7100 through a UK based grey market supplier (HDEWCameras), and got great service. Over a year later, I experienced some back focusing issues, contacted Nikon UK, who agreed to fix it for a very small fee, them knowing that it was grey market sourced. I just needed to supply the original receipt - which I did.

I have absolutely no problem buying grey market, providing I am comfortable with the supplier concerned in providing me with a genuine product, and that I am prepared to take the risk of further cost in the remote scenario it needed repair in the future. Or even writing off the cost if necessary.

And the reality is, these days, cameras and most other electrical items, are pretty reliable.

The risk is low in my view.

I am one of those who always refuses extra product warranty when buying an electrical item. It breaks, I either get it fixed if cost effective, or write it off and buy the next latest and greatest. I care less where it came from. My wallet certainly cares.I find the any manufacturers control of country markets against consumerism rights. It shouldnt matter where I bought it from. If they want my repeat business, then they need to be pragmatic.

There are many people like me

(my current D750 was an impulse purchase from a known UK high street store)
(my current D610 is grey)

Last edited:

jay_dean

I've seen dealers selling sub £1900 D810s that must be grey imports on eBay and come with a 3 year Mack warranty. As the retail price is £2400 atm, I've gotta say that i'm sorely tempted. 500+ quid is a lot of money