Greetings from the Isle of Man

Deleted

Thanks for your feedback, it's interesting to read other people's decision processes.

I will probably add a 4tb drive to my desktop Windows 7 pc, additional backup will have to wait a short while. I will take up the special offer LR & PS offer rental from Adobe. I also have a Mac which I use for IOS developing, but I prefer the Windows pc.

Deleted

Update #2:

I've adjusted the walkabout/wildlife lens. The 28-300mm looks a handy travel lens, but just doesn't have the quality that I want for wildlife. It's also a little heavy for a walkabout. I will put the wildlife lens on the backburner for a while. There's some overlap on the landscape & walkabout lens ranges which I don't mind too much. I'd intend not to be carrying them both at the same time.

Body: D610
Landscapes: 16-35mm f4.0 zoom
Walkabout/Travel: 24-120mm f4.0 zoom
Macro/Portrait: 105mm f2.8 micro
Wildlife: Undecided
Flash: Speedlight Remote kit R1
Tripod for Landscape/Macro: Manfrotto 055 + 055 ballhead

RocketCowboy

Right, it is an FX lens. Even though I'm currently shooting DX bodies, my plan is to add a full frame in the next 1-2 years. Because of that, I'm trying to keep new glass as FX so that I can use it without issues on either body.

The 24-120mm caught my eye as I was wanting a batter walk around lens versus the 18-55mm that came with the D5300. I've been contemplating the 18-140mm DX lens, but then that isn't setting me up for longer term plans. The 24-120mm looks very promising, and having gotten hands on this lens for a short test cycle I'm happy with it.

Deleted

My new Western Digital 4tb SATA drive is being returned for refund under warranty on Tuesday. I've seen many failed WD drives recently & I'm now unsure if to get another one.

Other than an internal SATA drive for storage, has anyone used a NAS unit or an external USB3 hard drive for the Lightroom catalogue?

Last edited:

Deleted

Just don't use a NAS with 4-6 WD SATA drives inside ... ;)

Yup, I'll make sure of that!

I've been doing some intensive checking with this & think that I will go back with WD Black, but this time to a 2tb drive. That way I can use an MBR partition instead of GPT. Staying with internal drives means that I can get a much faster transaction speed than external drives or a NAS. I'm not entirely sure that a LR catalogue can be saved to a network drive (NAS).

Comments welcome! :confused:

Deleted

What a whirlwind! A month ago, I was thinking of getting back into photography after my 35mm work, 15-20 years ago. Back then, I did a bit of landscape & street views & paid portrait work. This time around, my interest is with landscape, close-up/macro to start, some paid product shots (which are already lined-up), character portraits, then maybe looking at wildlife & maybe studio portraits again later on - once funds allow for the lenses.

I've been on a journey of steep learning curves & haven't even got the camera yet! I started off aiming for the D7100 & DX lenses, changed my mind to the D610 & during the wait for the D750, I think I've finally settled on a D810. I'm seeing the camera body as something that I would hold onto for quite a while, which would give me the chance to save for glassware, instead of "upgraditus" for new bodies.

Bearing in mind the intended usage; landscape, macro, walkabout, character portraits, this is the direction of my thinking at the moment...
D810
Landscapes: Nikkor 16-35mm f4
Walkabout: Nikkor: 24-120mm f4
Macro: Nikkor 105mm f2.8

I've spent a lot of time thinking that maybe the Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 would be better suited. Budget wise it would have to replace both the 16-35mm & 24-120mm, losing me a fair amount of wide angle & a fair amount of reach. My next change of mind is due in 30 minutes, but I'm thinking that the 16-35mm is going to give me a lot more options for landscape than just having the 24-70mm.

Thoughts & advice are very welcome!

wornish

What a whirlwind! A month ago, I was thinking of getting back into photography after my 35mm work, 15-20 years ago. Back then, I did a bit of landscape & street views & paid portrait work. This time around, my interest is with landscape, close-up/macro to start, some paid product shots (which are already lined-up), character portraits, then maybe looking at wildlife & maybe studio portraits again later on - once funds allow for the lenses.

I've been on a journey of steep learning curves & haven't even got the camera yet! I started off aiming for the D7100 & DX lenses, changed my mind to the D610 & during the wait for the D750, I think I've finally settled on a D810. I'm seeing the camera body as something that I would hold onto for quite a while, which would give me the chance to save for glassware, instead of "upgraditus" for new bodies.

Bearing in mind the intended usage; landscape, macro, walkabout, character portraits, this is the direction of my thinking at the moment...
D810
Landscapes: Nikkor 16-35mm f4
Walkabout: Nikkor: 24-120mm f4
Macro: Nikkor 105mm f2.8

I've spent a lot of time thinking that maybe the Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 would be better suited. Budget wise it would have to replace both the 16-35mm & 24-120mm, losing me a fair amount of wide angle & a fair amount of reach. My next change of mind is due in 30 minutes, but I'm thinking that the 16-35mm is going to give me a lot more options for landscape than just having the 24-70mm.

Thoughts & advice are very welcome!

The D810 is a great choice and should last you a long time. Wish I could justify upgrading from my 2 year old D800 but even I can't justify it - yet!!

For landscapes I can strongly recommend the 14-24mm F/2.8 . Its superb, and can out do many primes, don't be put off by the lack of filters you can do most things in post processing these days.
I also have the Nikkor 105mm macro and that is brilliant as well and it can also be used for Portraits.
Then for walkabout I am currently planning on getting the Nikkor: 24-120mm f4 when I have permission !

Having said all that the Tamron 90mm macro is amazing as well so don't write off the latest compatibles. If you browse some of the shots here you can get an idea of how most lens perform in the real world.

hrstrat57

Welcome, and please post pics when you get your new kit.

My 18-55 af vr is super sharp, expected it to be junk it is not!

Recco u look at the Nikkor 70-300 AF VR excellent bit of kit and you will appreciate the extra reach. Otherwise your kit choices are spot on for a crop camera setup.

The Canon A1 was top notch you wil be disappointed in anything less than top of the line IMHO.

Last edited:

Deleted

Welcome, and please post pics when you get your new kit.

My 18-55 af vr is super sharp, expected it to be junk it is not!

Recco u look at the Nikkor 70-300 AF VR excellent bit of kit and you will appreciate the extra reach. Otherwise your kit choices are spot on for a crop camera setup.

The Canon A1 was top notch you wil be disappointed in anything less than top of the line IMHO.

Thanks for your reply.

I do miss my A1, it was a great camera!

I'd like to look at something longer in the kit, but just can't afford it. It will have to wait for phase 2! ;)

You mention the kit choices for a crop camera setup? I'm aiming for the D810, does that mean the choices are a bit off?

hrstrat57

I have no interest in or experience with 36mp..... So I can't comment on glass for a d810. I expect 36 megapixel would be far too demanding for any of my lenses except maybe the 50 AF d 1.4.

with launch just a few days away you might want to look at the D750.

for me D700 full frame 12 megapixel hits the sweet spot I was looking for especially paired with a D300.

good luck!

Deleted

The D810 is a great choice and should last you a long time. Wish I could justify upgrading from my 2 year old D800 but even I can't justify it - yet!!

For landscapes I can strongly recommend the 14-24mm F/2.8 . Its superb, and can out do many primes, don't be put off by the lack of filters you can do most things in post processing these days.
I also have the Nikkor 105mm macro and that is brilliant as well and it can also be used for Portraits.
Then for walkabout I am currently planning on getting the Nikkor: 24-120mm f4 when I have permission !

Having said all that the Tamron 90mm macro is amazing as well so don't write off the latest compatibles. If you browse some of the shots here you can get an idea of how most lens perform in the real world.

Thanks, I appreciate your suggestions.

I did consider the 14-24mm f2.8, as I also considered the 24-70mm f2.8 as part of the "Trinity". However I just don't have the money for them. Basically, if I buy a "Trinity" lens, I can only afford 2 lenses - one of those has to be Macro because I have some clients for that. So a 14-24mm f2.8 means no walkabout.

I'm thinking that once I get the body that will cure any thought of body upgraditus for many years, then I can think about adding trinity lenses in the future. I'm hoping that good Nikon glass may hold it's value better than bodies. I'd also like to see some VR upgrades to the Trinity lenses too.

I like the idea of the 105mm being used for portraits, I'm looking forward to trying that out.

RocketCowboy

I am definitely enjoying my 24-120mm/f4, so I don't think you can go wrong there for a walkaround lens. I'm leaning towards the 14-24mm/f2.8 also, but it's lower on my priority list since I'm still using a DX body and I have the 10-24mm DX lens.

I'd also like the 24-70/f2.8, but that's going to be dependent on my getting better justification ... ie $$$ for the pictures I want to take with it I think.

Anco

Well done, I'm sure you are going to be really happy with the choices you made one you get your hands on that gear. Congratulations and happy shooting