Greenhouse Preparation D7K

Tami Jo

What if any special care should be taken in preparation for photographing in greenhouse type environments? I understand that the D7K is weather sealed but that does not mean that the lens is etc...Is it best to place the camera in the camera bag and allow it to acclimate so to speak? What about lens fogging?

Eye-level

Banned
After you're done let the camera air out and breath for a day or two. Humidity is the enemy of cameras. In the old days they used to make rigs called tropical cameras. They were built with fine rare humidity resistant woods. It really shouldn't be a big deal deal though. Stay away from lenses with fungus on them.

Last edited:

Tami Jo

I am a bit apprehensive about doing so...It's just that there is this amazing Hummingbird Exhibit I'd love to shoot. The humidity is fairly high, but not sure at what level it's best to avoid. I have entered these types of exhibits with P/S in days gone by but DSLR's are a bit different and perhaps a bit more sensitive. Not quite sure.. but I certainly don't want to ruin it. Being from Arizona our climate is continually dry and humidity low with the exception of monsoon season of course. I know one can shoot on the rain briefly with proper preparation so humid environments ought not be totally taboo right? What do the Pro's do? Their gear may be better adapt at these types of shoots?

Last edited:

Rick M

I've shot in some heavy fog, had to use lens tissue to wipe the front of the lens dry. Might try to keep the cap on as long as possible until the temperature of the glass equalizes. I would keep such exposure to a minimum. I would definitely not change lenses in the greenhouse and use a prime so you are not pumping humidity in with a zoom.

Tami Jo

You mean I can set aside my humidity anxieties long enough to shoot...:star:That is easier said then done LOL. I am finding myself thinking about things I'd never considered before with the p/s 's lol... I do want to have fun that is what it's about after all. But one must investigate where possible danger exists right? The rule of look before you leap applies.

Nikon Photographer

I really wouldn't worry, I have used cameras in hot houses for years without any problems, take with you a lens cloth, because when you get in there, your lens will fog over for a while until the temperature on it reaches the same as the hothouse, after that you'll be fine .....

This was shot in a hot house not long ago with the D90 and it suffered no damage

_dsc0144.jpg

John P

I've shot in some heavy fog, had to use lens tissue to wipe the front of the lens dry. Might try to keep the cap on as long as possible until the temperature of the glass equalizes. I would keep such exposure to a minimum. I would definitely not change lenses in the greenhouse and use a prime so you are not pumping humidity in with a zoom.

Great advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tami Jo

I really wouldn't worry, I have used cameras in hot houses for years without any problems, take with you a lens cloth, because when you get in there, your lens will fog over for a while until the temperature on it reaches the same as the hothouse, after that you'll be fine .....

This was shot in a hot house not long ago with the D90 and it suffered no damage

_dsc0144.jpg

That's a cool shot! He's a cute bat :eek: How long were in the hot house shooting?

Nikon Photographer

That's a cool shot! He's a cute bat :eek: How long were in the hot house shooting?

To be honest, not long, but I have done butterfly shots in hothouses over here, and I've been using my camera in those conditions for around half and hour at a time ... I've used 35mm SLR's in the same conditions and never had a problem once the condensation has cleared off the lens and viewfinder.

Tami Jo

To be honest, not long, but I have done butterfly shots in hothouses over here, and I've been using my camera in those conditions for around half and hour at a time ... I've used 35mm SLR's in the same conditions and never had a problem once the condensation has cleared off the lens and viewfinder.

Every spring we have a Butterfly exhibit which I'd also love to shoot as well. Do you leave your camera in your bag or just do you have it out already upon entering?

Nikon Photographer

Every spring we have a Butterfly exhibit which I'd also love to shoot as well. Do you leave your camera in your bag or just do you have it out already upon entering?

I've done both, if you've got someone to keep an eye on your bag while your shooting, the lens and viewfinder will still fog up, but when I travel I usually got to the Mediterranean area's and the Canary islands, and never had problems with there heat and humidity, but when the camera goes back in the gadget bag, I always keep a few small bags of silica gel in there ...

This was taken in Tenerife back in 2003 using my Nikon F80 and 28-105 in a hothouse over there, and yes it was pretty hot, I was sure my partner was going to melt .....

orchids-4jpg.jpg

Sambr

I've done both, if you've got someone to keep an eye on your bag while your shooting, the lens and viewfinder will still fog up, but when I travel I usually got to the Mediterranean area's and the Canary islands, and never had problems with there heat and humidity, but when the camera goes back in the gadget bag, I always keep a few small bags of silica gel in there ...

This was taken in Tenerife back in 2003 using my Nikon F80 and 28-105 in a hothouse over there, and yes it was pretty hot, I was sure my partner was going to melt .....

orchids-4jpg.jpg
Nice capture :) I have the 28-105 and it is awesome with the D7000. Great lens. As for the humidity issue, I was in Panama for a month with my D300 and a bag full of glass believe me it was wet humid and hot. My poor camera took a beating I had to replace the rubber grip panels when I returned other than that no problems.

Tami Jo

orchids-4jpg.jpg

Silica Gel....now that is an excellent idea! If only I hadn't thrown the ones from my last purchase away. Where can I purchase these? That would be great to pop in my bag. Beautiful capture on the flowers by the way. Do you happen to know what they are called?

Tami Jo

Nice capture :) I have the 28-105 and it is awesome with the D7000. Great lens. As for the humidity issue, I was in Panama for a month with my D300 and a bag full of glass believe me it was wet humid and hot. My poor camera took a beating I had to replace the rubber grip panels when I returned other than that no problems.

Glad to hear that the D7K fared well in all of your hothouse environments and survived Panama too. I was more than a bit apprehensive. I don't imagine I would stay longer than an hour inside but it could be longer if the shooting conditions are enticing I 'll bring my bag and some a lens cloth and some silica gel to pop in when I'm done. I am feeling my anxiety diminish and am now looking forward to the opportunity.