grandpaw's image thread

grandpaw

This is the train arriving at the station at the entrance to the Magic Kingdom train station. Jeff

Nikon D7000 with Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM lens
DSC_0829-1648477467-O.jpg

grandpaw

Something I spotted in someone's flower bed. Jeff

This was actually taken with my Nikon D80 with a Nikon 18-200VR lens
DSC_3937-833881172-O.jpg

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Something I spotted in someone's flower bed. Jeff

This was actually taken with my Nikon D80 with a Nikon 18-200VR lens
View attachment 14339

This is a great example of old technology… This is a great shot and maybe it wouldn't have been any better with another newer camera with all the more pixels. I find the definition just fine just as it is.
There is something different with sensors with larger pixels, some inherent quality that is different from the smaller pixels.

This is why I still recommend the D90 and 80 for that matter. Then can be bought for bargains sometimes and still do a GREAT job in the right hands.

Mike150

I have several magnolia pictures but only one with multiple blooms. Jeff

Great shot. The house across from us has a 20' Magnolia. About three years ago, it was completely white with blossoms. Since then nothing. Aren't they supposed to bloom every year?

grandpaw

Great shot. The house across from us has a 20' Magnolia. About three years ago, it was completely white with blossoms. Since then nothing. Aren't they supposed to bloom every year?

Mike, as far as I know they all bloom each year. When they are in bloom, at least where I live, there are literally thousands of them everywhere. Finding one that is low enough on the tree, in full bloom, not turning brown, and at an angle with good lighting is harder than I would have thought before I started photographing magnolias. There is also a problem with the whites blowing out so getting a decent picture takes some time and patients to accomplish. When it is the time of year that they bloom you need to start taking a bunch of pictures so that you can get one that you will be satisfied with. For me it was a little more of a challenge than I thought it would be to get some keepers. Something I found handy to keep the whites from blowing out is to take my big golf umbrella to keep the direct sun off of the blooms and make the light a little softer. I know this is a little more information than you were looking for but I just thought it might be helpful things to be aware of if you decide to try and get some magnolia pictures. Jeff

Mike150

Great info Jeff. I appreciate it. Making a note, for whenever that thing decides to bloom again. I guess the mountains of VA aren't too favorable for the Magnolia tree. I like the Idea of the umbrella. I keep one in the car for rain. Now it can have a new purpose.

grandpaw

While on a boat ride this was one of several gators that I saw an was able to photograph. This one was seven or eight feet from the boat. Jeff

_DSC4544.jpg

grandpaw

I took this handheld at twenty minutes after midnight of Cinderella's Castle at Walt Disney World during Christmas 2011 this past year.
Nikon D7000 with a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM lens. This is my favorite camera and lens combination. Jeff

DSC_1418_2.jpg

grandpaw

This rear view of Cinderella's Castle at Walt Disney World during Christmas 2011 this past year just a few minutes before midnight.
Nikon D7000 with a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM lens. All of my Disney pictures were taken handheld. This picture was taken handheld at 1/15 of a second. Jeff

If you look through the archway in the castle you can actually see the Christmas tree and the windows of the train station at the other end of main street.

DSC_1408_2.jpg

Last edited: