Goodbye Duracell

WayneF

Searching Google for Duracell Coppertop leakage, there's quite a bit of evidence that others also think Duracell has gone bad, regarding leakage. Most of this is on the Duracell web site (unhappy campers):

>I've learned to loathe and avoid Duracell Copper tops. They start leaking very quickly

>Very Disappointed in these Duracell AA batteries. You cannot leave them in any item for a extended period or you will find them leaking and contaminating the inside of your electronics

>I've noticed a sudden change in Duracell quality. I have used Duracells exclusively for decades. Many of the Duracell batteries I've changed this year have shown signs of leaking.

>These batteries will leak when the device is turned off or inactive - guaranteed. I have three ruined phones, a ruined keyboard, and a ruined expensive clock to prove it.

>I purchased all my Duracell batteries at Costco. Most of them are dated good till 2018-2023. in the last 2 years I have had the batteries leak and damaged about dozen devises, including radios, flashlights, and toys

In fact, there is even this class action suit:

Duracell Batteries Leak In Normal Use, Class Action Claims

I see no reason to ever buy another Duracell.

Bob Blaylock

I can remember, many years ago, when any reputable brand of battery had a notice printed on each battery, and on the packaging in which it was sold, that the manufacturer would repair or replace any device damaged by leakage from those batteries. I guess that sort of guarantee went away when battery-powered devices evolved from simple flashlights and radios to the much more expensive and complex devices that are so common now. And I guess, with the demise of that sort of guarantee, some manufacturers may simply have lost incentive to care so much about manufacturing their batteries in such a way as to reduce the chance of them leaking.

Last edited:

lorenbrothers

I'm a little puzzled by this whole thread. ;) It doesn't matter what brand ... all batteries will leak as they age. It is a fact of chemistry and physics.
Being an old coot I was always brought up knowing to remove batteries from anything when it wasn't being used. It was really a 'no-brainer'.
So now when I get a 'leaker' in my favorite toy I know I have nobody to blame but myself.
:beguiled:

Horoscope Fish

I'm a little puzzled by this whole thread. It doesn't matter what brand... all batteries will leak as they age. It is a fact of chemistry and physics.
It seems at least one big battery company disagrees: Energizer No Leak Guarantee

"Energizer® Lithium AA/AAA Batteries are GUARANTEED NOT TO LEAK. Due to advanced technology, lithium AA/AAA batteries will not leak under normal consumer usage."

I think the issue of late is that leaks are becoming more frequent. Or, it could be that as a society using more battery-powered devices than ever, the total number of leaky batteries is up, but only as a result of so many more batteries being used in the first place.

Moab Man

I'm a little puzzled by this whole thread. ;) It doesn't matter what brand ... all batteries will leak as they age.
:beguiled:

I too am puzzled as to how the point of this thread is being missed. No one is saying batteries don't/won't leak and they're surprised a battery leaked. The thread is pointing out that Duracell batteries are having an ABNORMAL amount of leaking batteries when compared to other batteries being used and in comparison to there product in earlier years.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I too am puzzled as to how the point of this thread is being missed. No one is saying batteries don't/won't leak and they're surprised a battery leaked. The thread is pointing out that Duracell batteries are having an ABNORMAL amount of leaking batteries when compared to other batteries being used and in comparison to there product in earlier years.

Earlier I said I had the same problem. We do use AA batteries more often than any others although we also use AAA, C, and 9-volt. Out of all 4 types we use, the AA seems to be the worst for us. Initially I thought it was because I bought the package at Home Depot and wasn't sure if they were genuine. Usually I buy them at BJ's. So I simply bought them from BJ's the next time around and STILL had the same problem. :(

Moab Man

I get what you're saying Hark. I'm referring to people not understanding the point of the original poster whether their own experience is the same or not. I have had no problem with my Duracell batteries, but it doesn't mean I don't get the point of the original poster.

WayneF

I'm referring to people not understanding the point of the original poster whether their own experience is the same or not.

It would seem hard to believe though, but when it happens, they'll know, at least eventually. I've counted about 24 alkaline cells in use here, clocks, LCD thermometers, programmable thermostat, AC radio and blood pressure machine for backup, TV remotes, mouse, radio triggers, etc, etc. I've used Duracells in all of them, Coppertops and Procells. So I've been switching out the Duracells with Amazons, and so far, only found two more with corrosion starting. I'm not sure yet, but the Coppertops seem terrible, but I have not seen bad Procells yet. They seem normal, but are fairly new though. I don't know if any actual difference, but the coppertops have a 10 year guarantee vs 7 years for Procells.

It does seem a good plan to inspect our alkalines now and then, before waiting too long.