Good deal?

lKoRTy

Thank you everyone for comments/suggestions. Went ahead with the 18-200 kit. Time to learn this thing!

nikon.jpg

donaldjledet

You have that right I have had mine for 4 months now.

And I'm just starting to scratch the surface .
Congrats on your new D7100.
Its great I love mine.
Thinking of getting a second one.

Nathan Lanni

Thank you everyone for comments/suggestions. Went ahead with the 18-200 kit. Time to learn this thing!

Very nice purchase! Sounds like you're up for the challenge. Even though I own a d7100 I'm certainly no expert and I continue to read reviews on it. Time after time they come to the same conclusion - it's not perfect but it sure has lot going for it.

Based on the photos you've shown below, you're going to get good use out of that kit, and please post you thoughts about the camera and lens.

It's funny because I bought a 35mm f/2 and really like it - good aperture, nice build quality - I find that my 18-200mm is on my camera most of the time.

Cheers.

lKoRTy

I will be getting a prime sometime soon, as I already start to see where it can be beneficial. Then again, if need to zoom quickly, 18-200 is perfect! Like for shooting bacon, right?
DSC_0149.JPG

Moab Man

Congratulations on your purchase. Now if I may suggest. Really look through other peoples shots on here and duplicate the ones you really like. You'll learn a lot. And the other, force yourself to shoot every day. You will quickly run out of things to shoot and it will force you to become creative - kind of like shooting the bacon. Great color capture on the bacon.

lKoRTy

Congratulations on your purchase. Now if I may suggest. Really look through other peoples shots on here and duplicate the ones you really like. You'll learn a lot. And the other, force yourself to shoot every day. You will quickly run out of things to shoot and it will force you to become creative - kind of like shooting the bacon. Great color capture on the bacon.

I am trying to shoot various things, albeit only in Auto right now. Still going through the book to see what all the options this camera has. My favorite shots are long exposure for running water and such, so hopefully will get some. And I need to get a tripod as I want to try to capture some lightning too!

I am trying to shoot various things, albeit only in Auto right now. Still going through the book to see what all the options this camera has. My favorite shots are long exposure for running water and such, so hopefully will get some. And I need to get a tripod as I want to try to capture some lightning too!

ONe of the first things to switch to is the program mode. Set the ISO to something appropriate like outdoors maybe 200 and indoors maybe 400 to start with. Program will set both the aperture and Shutter Speed but will give you the choice of ISO and whether to use flash or not. It is a start on making a few decisions for yourself.

Jimx7

The bacon made me hungry
You cooked it perfect
I have still yet to get the 35mm lens
is there a big difference from the 35 prime
to the 35 on my 18 to 55 ?

Moab Man

If you plan to shoot long exposure of water you will want to use that little plastic piece that came with your camera. It's for putting in place of you eyepiece to block out light. Otherwise the light will bleed through and you will get red banding on the photo.

I would suggest two tripods. A light one because it's easy and portable and a heavy one. I hate carrying around my heavy one, but when I need my camera to remain rock steady to stack a couple photos there is no substitute for weight.

Here is a thread you can read up on the light bleed during long daytime exposures and save yourself some headaches.

http://nikonites.com/d7100/14653-light-bleed-i-need-stitches-stat-daytime-long-exposure.html#axzz2aHFGZT7t

If you plan to shoot long exposure of water you will want to use that little plastic piece that came with your camera. It's for putting in place of you eyepiece to block out light. Otherwise the light will bleed through and you will get red banding on the photo.

I would suggest two tripods. A light one because it's easy and portable and a heavy one. I hate carrying around my heavy one, but when I need my camera to remain rock steady to stack a couple photos there is no substitute for weight.

Here is a thread you can read up on the light bleed during long daytime exposures and save yourself some headaches.

http://nikonites.com/d7100/14653-light-bleed-i-need-stitches-stat-daytime-long-exposure.html#axzz2aHFGZT7t

I have a GorillaPod attached to my LowePro Backpack. It is less than the length of the pack and weighs nothing. It does not get in the way of anything. What I like about it is that it can wrap around anything and lock to it. A tree limb, a stair rail or it can sit on the ground and keep the camera in place while I get in the shot or a quick HDR or focus stack. I don't use it often but when you need it it is there.

Mycenius

Would you get it again, over splitting between two lenses?

FWIW I would not (but I have financial freedom to choose solely on performance, need, etc). I have one, but now that I have my 17-55 which is stunning and my 70-300 which is also pretty damn impressive my 18-200 is semi-redundant. My 11-16 is pretty good too for the wider shots in lieu of the 17-55.

When I originally got it when they first came out I was looking for a good general purpose lens with a wide range to pair with my 105mm Micro so I could operate with a simple 2 lens setup. My logic was to replace my original D70's 18-70 lens to give me some reasonable zoom (I sold that lens with the D70 & now regret doing that) without having a third lens. Ironically I then bought a 50mm prime a year or so later!

I would say 18-200 VRII version is well worth getting if:
1. You have to only have 1 General Purpose lens, and/or
2. You are limited financially and want something to cover medium-wide angle out to a good zoom range.

However, otherwise you could be better served with 2 lenses or more, if no financial constraints & you don't mind the changes $ carrying additional lenses:
1. Get a good fast sharp wide like the 17-55, or 11-16, or 12-24 as your main walk around lens.
2. Depending on how much zoom work you may need pair with a good zoom like a 70-300 (Nikon or Tamron) or to keep cost down (or if usage will be low) the Nikon 55-300 kit zoom.
3. If needed you can add a good prime later for that sweet spot in between the two (you will need a 35mm for that on a DX format camera, but a 50mm may suffice), something super fast if possible (f/1.4 or f/1.8).

The 18-200 is an awesome lens for its price, but as you expand your boundaries you may find its too much a Jack of Trades and not enough a Master of any One.

I'm keeping mine, just for those odd times I go light with a camera & single lens and no bag, etc... But it isn't my go to lens anymore (that's now my 17-55)...

Just my 2 cents... :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Nathan Lanni

I think your criteria is good and very close to my own.

I bought my d7100 body only, and figured I need to at least one, good gp lens to cover me until I can build up my kit. I bought my 18-200mm really nice used for $400. I think the retail/kit price is around $550 - 650 new, so it's not massive investment.

Looks like lKoRTy is put it to good use already.

Cheers.

FWIW I would not (but I have financial freedom to choose solely on performance, need, etc). I have one, but now that I have my 17-55 which is stunning and my 70-300 which is also pretty damn impressive my 18-200 is semi-redundant. My 11-16 is pretty good too for the wider shots in lieu of the 17-55.

When I originally got it when they first came out I was looking for a good general purpose lens with a wide range to pair with my 105mm Micro so I could operate with a simple 2 lens setup. My logic was to replace my original D70's 18-70 lens to give me some reasonable zoom (I sold that lens with the D70 & now regret doing that) without having a third lens. Ironically I then bought a 50mm prime a year or so later!

I would say 18-200 VRII version is well worth getting if:
1. You have to only have 1 General Purpose lens, and/or
2. You are limited financially and want something to cover medium-wide angle out to a good zoom range.

However, otherwise you could be better served with 2 lenses or more, if no financial constraints & you don't mind the changes $ carrying additional lenses:
1. Get a good fast sharp wide like the 17-55, or 11-16, or 12-24 as your main walk around lens.
2. Depending on how much zoom work you may need pair with a good zoom like a 70-300 (Nikon or Tamron) or to keep cost down (or if usage will be low) the Nikon 55-300 kit zoom.
3. If needed you can add a good prime later for that sweet spot in between the two (you will need a 35mm for that on a DX format camera, but a 50mm may suffice), something super fast if possible (f/1.4 or f/1.8).

The 18-200 is an awesome lens for its price, but as you expand your boundaries you may find its too much a Jack of Trades and not enough a Master of any One.

I'm keeping mine, just for those odd times I go light with a camera & single lens and no bag, etc... But it isn't my go to lens anymore (that's now my 17-55)...

Just my 2 cents... :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited: