Godox AD200

Horoscope Fish

I have now got the AD200 with the XPro controller, the kit came with the dish for bare bulb with diffuser, gels and barn doors with honeycombe grid and bowens holder for flash stand.

It is smaller than expected and really solid without being too heavy, it delivers superb lighting with fast recycle times and consistent exposure - my intention is to use it on a stand and with TTL.

It will provide me a more powerful option when normal strobes with not suffice.

I am very happy.
The Godox X1T controller and R1 triggers did not pan out for me for several reasons. Shortly after I tried those, however, I had an opportunity to assist on a shoot with someone using an XPro Controller paired with an AD200 and some other Godox gear. I got some hands-on time with that combination and a few minutes was all it took. I sold off my Yongnuo flashes and triggers, as well as some other small kit, and ordered the same Godox AD200/XPro kit you did with the grids and barn door etc. Adding a V860 II rounds out my basic, two-light setup. The Yongnuo setup was good, but I'm loving my Godox gear so much more.

Iansky

Nice one Paul, it is a superb kit and I am also thinking about another Godox (not AD200) to add to the kit as a fill light.

Horoscope Fish

Nice one Paul, it is a superb kit and I am also thinking about another Godox (not AD200) to add to the kit as a fill light.
The AD200 is what finally brought me over to the Godox system... That thing is awesome!!

Another really big selling point for me are the lithium battery powered flashes Godox offers. With my Yongnuo two-flash setup I needed 14 AA batteries... FOURTEEN!! That's eight for the two flashes, four more for the two triggers and another two in the TX controller. Packing a set of spares brought that total to (a ridiculous) 28 batteries. The Godox lithium batteries charge surprisingly fast, even the huge one for the AD200, and they seem to last forever.

Also, if you haven't seen the Godox S Bracket let me tell you... It's a must have in my opinion. Superior in *every* way, in my opinion, to the typical umbrella bracket/cold shoe.

Iansky

I agree Paul, the Godox "S" bracket is a must for use with the AD200 especially when using on a lighting stand, it has the facility to take an umbrella as well and offers a secure and stable fixing for the flash.

canuck257

The Godox X1T controller and R1 triggers did not pan out for me for several reasons. Shortly after I tried those, however, I had an opportunity to assist on a shoot with someone using an XPro Controller paired with an AD200 and some other Godox gear. I got some hands-on time with that combination and a few minutes was all it took. I sold off my Yongnuo flashes and triggers, as well as some other small kit, and ordered the same Godox AD200/XPro kit you did with the grids and barn door etc. Adding a V860 II rounds out my basic, two-light setup. The Yongnuo setup was good, but I'm loving my Godox gear so much more.

Paul, do you have a link to that Godox kit?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Also, if you haven't seen the Godox S Bracket let me tell you... It's a must have in my opinion. Superior in *every* way, in my opinion, to the typical umbrella bracket/cold shoe.

Coincidentally that's the one I have although I haven't yet photographed anything to use it. It came highly recommended for my Nikon flash.

Last edited:

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Just wanted to follow up and let you know the Godox X1R Controller and Triggers are working with every flash I've thrown at them. This includes all three Yongnuo flashes I have (YN-468, YN-565 and YN-568) as well as both my Nikon units (SB-400 and SB-700). I'm actually finding the Yongnuo's easier to work with, generally speaking, than I am the SB-700 but it could be that I'm just rusty with the Nikon.

There's a mild learning curve to getting multiple flashes set up and adjusted "just so" using the X1R, but I expected that. And while I never thought I'd care about having a pass-through on the Controller now I'm starting to think it's a nice thing to have and see where I might use it from time to tome.

So there you go: the Godox X1R is working like a champ with my Yongnuo flashes.

Paul,
What am I missing? I just got the Flashpoint Pro AD200 kit, dual head. I tried to fire my YN-568 using the pro trigger wirelessly. No go. Maybe I have a setting wrong. I only plan on using the Yongnu flahes for a little bit longer, but would like to pair them with the Godox/Flashpoint.

Thanks

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Paul,
What am I missing? I just got the Flashpoint Pro AD200 kit, dual head. I tried to fire my YN-568 using the pro trigger wirelessly. No go. Maybe I have a setting wrong. I only plan on using the Yongnu flahes for a little bit longer, but would like to pair them with the Godox/Flashpoint.

Thanks

I'm not Paul and don't have a definitive answer for you, but I've heard of stacking triggers. This article includes a pic showing triggers stacked on the hot shoe. Not sure if this is the only option though. Image from article is linked below.

https://carrigmanblog.wordpress.com/2019/03/10/using-yongnuo-flashguns-with-the-godox-ad200/

godox-yn-set-up.jpg

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Thanks @hark. I had thought of stacking triggers as a possibility but have not had time to try it and another option of using optical trigger ( light from one flash triggering the other) but that is line of sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horoscope Fish

Paul,

Thanks
Hi Walt;

Just so I'm clear... You have a Godox transmitter attached to your camera and a Godox receiver attached to the Yongnuo flash, correct? Because you need to have compatibility between the transmitter and the trigger. You can use the Godox wireless system to fire any Nikon compatible flash, but you can't mix brands of transmitters and receivers since each brand speaks its own wireless language.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Hi Walt;

Just so I'm clear... You have a Godox transmitter attached to your camera and a Godox receiver attached to the Yongnuo flash, correct? Because you need to have compatibility between the transmitter and the trigger. You can use the Godox wireless system to fire any Nikon compatible flash, but you can't mix brands of transmitters and receivers since each brand speaks its own wireless language.

No, That is not the case. I don't have the Godox receiver. I was trying to fire the Yongnu 568, built in receiver, with the Godox Pro Transmitter. As you stated, they apparently will not talk to each other. I guess I need to get a "translator." Ha!!!

Horoscope Fish

No, That is not the case. I don't have the Godox receiver. I was trying to fire the Yongnu 568, built in receiver, with the Godox Pro Transmitter. As you stated, they apparently will not talk to each other. I guess I need to get a "translator." Ha!!!
Yes, that's your issue. When it comes to off camera flash you have two link-chains to be considered: First is the camera/flash link-chain (which for us is Nikon) which deals with camera/flash settings (shutter speed, aperture, ISO, curtain synch, etc.)

The other link-chain is the one that moves that camera/flash settings information from Point A (your camera) to the Point B (the off-camera flash unit(s)).

Everything in the first link-chain needs to "speak" Nikon. Otherwise you have a communication breakdown.

For the second link-chain, the one that moves the settings information from Point A to Point B, every link in this chain needs to speak the same language, whatever language that is; it can be Yongnuo, Godox or Nikon, as long as every link in the chain speaks that same language. Otherwise you have a communication breakdown.

It's early here on the west coast, and I'm still working on my morning coffee, so I hope that helps to clarify things.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Yes, that's your issue. When it comes to off camera flash you have two link-chains to be considered: First is the camera/flash link-chain (which for us is Nikon) which deals with camera/flash settings (shutter speed, aperture, ISO, curtain synch, etc.)

The other link-chain is the one that moves that camera/flash settings information from Point A (your camera) to the Point B (the off-camera flash unit(s)).

Everything in the first link-chain needs to "speak" Nikon. Otherwise you have a communication breakdown.

For the second link-chain, the one that moves the settings information from Point A to Point B, every link in this chain needs to speak the same language, whatever language that is; it can be Yongnuo, Godox or Nikon, as long as every link in the chain speaks that same language. Otherwise you have a communication breakdown.

It's early here on the west coast, and I'm still working on my morning coffee, so I hope that helps to clarify things.
[MENTION=13090]Horoscope Fish[/MENTION] is this the receiver that Walt can use for his Yongnuo flashes?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1341962-REG/godox_x1r_n_ttl_remote_controller.html

godox_x1r_n_ttl_remote_controller_1498727263_1341962.jpg

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
OK a little update. Here is what I am working with right now. A YN 622 TX, a YN 622 Receiver (Transciever), the Flashpoint Pro TX and two AD200 flashpoint equivalents. I have not had a lot of time to experiment, but this is what I have tried so far. First I put the YN-622 Transceiver, because it had two hot shoe connections, on the camera and then the Flashpoint Pro transmitter on top of that. It fired the YN 685 and the AD200 one time. Then the YN 622 lights started going crazy. Turn it off and back on and it would fire one time. That's not something that will work. Then I realized that the YN 685n doesn't have the optical trigger function. I guess I never noticed it as I always used radio trigger to fire it with it's built in receiver. The YN 622 TX only has the one hot shoe connector for putting on top of the camera so it cannot be piggy backed with the Flashpoint TX. I have the YN 586 and it has optical trigger, so I can use it with the limitations of line of sight and it works but it has to be set manually. No problem for my use for now. I'm not sure if this will work, but I do have the cord for connecting the YN 622 TX to the camera. I think it is for remote camera triggering, but maybe it can be used to fire that TX from the camera. Then I could use the Flashpoint TX on the hot shoe and the YN622 TX hanging from the cord. Does that sound like an option. Trying to get by without spending more money for now. Ha! I know the last option is to sell the Yongnu stuff and buy a Flashpoint hotshoe flash.

Horoscope Fish

OK a little update. Here is what I am working with right now. A YN 622 TX, a YN 622 Receiver (Transciever), the Flashpoint Pro TX and two AD200 flashpoint equivalents. I have not had a lot of time to experiment, but this is what I have tried so far. First I put the YN-622 Transceiver, because it had two hot shoe connections, on the camera and then the Flashpoint Pro transmitter on top of that. It fired the YN 685 and the AD200 one time. Then the YN 622 lights started going crazy. Turn it off and back on and it would fire one time. That's not something that will work. Then I realized that the YN 685n doesn't have the optical trigger function. I guess I never noticed it as I always used radio trigger to fire it with it's built in receiver. The YN 622 TX only has the one hot shoe connector for putting on top of the camera so it cannot be piggy backed with the Flashpoint TX. I have the YN 586 and it has optical trigger, so I can use it with the limitations of line of sight and it works but it has to be set manually. No problem for my use for now. I'm not sure if this will work, but I do have the cord for connecting the YN 622 TX to the camera. I think it is for remote camera triggering, but maybe it can be used to fire that TX from the camera. Then I could use the Flashpoint TX on the hot shoe and the YN622 TX hanging from the cord. Does that sound like an option. Trying to get by without spending more money for now. Ha! I know the last option is to sell the Yongnu stuff and buy a Flashpoint hotshoe flash.

It sounds like you have two, entirely separate, flash systems assembled: the YN 685 with 622 triggers and the Flashpoint AD200's with TX controller. If want to control all three flashes off-camera, I don't see how that's going to work with what you have. It appears to me the YN622's are superfluous because the 685 has wireless built-in as do the Flashpoint AD200's. The problem is the two different brands of flash, Yongnuo and Flashpoint, speak different wireless languages.

If there is a workaround (either by using sync cords, a different Godox/Flashpoint trigger, piggy-backing or what have you) I can't tell you what it is. I think the simplest, and probably best answer is dumping the Yongnuo gear and getting a Godox/Flashpoint TT685. I know you're not looking to spend right now but that's my advice. It would leave you with a clean, wireless, three-flash, off-camera setup with a fair amount of power.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm with Fish on this, Walt. Why spend $40 per receiver to make your Yongnuo flashes work when you can buy the Flashpoint equivalent of the TT687N for $95 each. The Flashpoint ones appear to be on sale for $15 off their regular price right now.

Danno

There is the X2Tn trigger that will allow you to stack the YN flash on top of it. But I am thinking the TT685 will make you happier. I find it a lot easier to deal with than the Yongnu flash.