Ghost

fltsfshr

I shot this picture over 20 years ago. I do not remember what camera I was using. It was shot in an abandon prison deep in the Everglades. No one ever escaped from it.
When I got back home and looked at the pics we could see in one something in the doorway that wasn't in any of the others. I ran a blue filter over it and this is what it showed. I see a prison guard in a fedora with a tie, jacket and pleated pants. We went through the door into the cell block. There was no one there. I think I shot a ghost.
Thought you might find this interesting.
prison ghost.jpg

fltsfshr

I have it somewhere on a 3.5 disk. If I can find the file it has several pics but that was the only one that had that image. I have a lot of disks.

BF Hammer

He's a friendly looking fella. But I think it was your own reflection in the glass.

Heavy local contrast, sharpen, desaturate to B/W, straighten, and some exposure tweaks in RawTherapee.
2023-01-18_16-44-44s RawTherapee-1.jpg

fltsfshr

That wasn't glass. It was screen. There was no air conditioning. I'll see if I can find them all. We walked through the whole prison. Looking at the date they were shot with an old Sony that used a disk as storage.

Clovishound

My guess would be just a coincidental arrangement of tones. Remember the face on Mars? Looked just like a large rock feature carved into the shape of a face. However, when seen with the sun from a different direction, it was obviously just a random shaped rock.

fltsfshr

I have no clue but I note the image has a Fedora, a mustache, eyes, a white shirt with a skinny tie, a cops jacket and pleated pants all visible and correct for the 1950's or earlier. That's a lot of coincidence. Behind that door was a cell block of 8X10 cells with bars on the windows.

I can't explain it and I appreciate your opinions. Everytime I run across this pic in my files I wonder.

Clovishound

The image you posted appears to only vaguely resemble a face with little detail. In fact, the image first brings to mind Charlie Chaplin for me, although I would attribute that to the phenomena of pareidolia.

Perhaps you could post a cropped, higher resolution image to better show what you are seeing.

fltsfshr

I'm trying to find the original diskette. I have looked in every computer (10) on my network except for one. I have 3 shoe boxes full of diskettes. I will find it eventually. I thought it looked like Chaplin or Hitler.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
The image you posted appears to only vaguely resemble a face with little detail. In fact, the image first brings to mind Charlie Chaplin for me, although I would attribute that to the phenomena of pareidolia.

Perhaps you could post a cropped, higher resolution image to better show what you are seeing.
I thought Charlie Chaplin also.

Peter7100

As humans we are constantly looking for faces as that is how we recognise and communicate on a daily basis and we process thousands of faces in our lifetimes. As a result we sometimes see a face when it is just random patterns of something else.
Despite billions of camera phones around the world we still await one clear picture of anything unusual and my guess is we will still be waiting ;)

BF Hammer

Honestly I cannot see anything like a fedora hat or older generation clothing. All I see is the slightly cartoony smiley face. Rest is jpg compression noise to my eyes.

Last edited:

fltsfshr

Thanks I have found a couple pics from the same sequence. I'm still looking for the originals in my spare time. It will take a bit.

fltsfshr

This was going in and one of the cells behind the door. The pic of the doorway in this set was still blue filtered I'll keep looking.
deep lake.jpg

deep lake cell.jpg