Getting to M and Off Camera Flash

WayneF

If I get a radio trigger I'm thinking that I could pair it with the SB-700 in a softbox put the radio trigger on the SB-600 and set the SB-700 to SU-4 mode. I could then set the SB-700 to half power or some other value, and the SB-600 to TTL.

Should work fine if both manual flash....

TTL has added complication. radio trigger on TTL SB-600, which its early preflash will trigger the SU-4 mode early, before shutter opens. With most flashes, it's over then, no second flash again when shutter opens. SU-4 on Nikon flashes however is extremely fast, and unless at high power, it CAN flash again when shutter opens. Seems a poor way to plan the job however. You could use like a Yongnuo flash there, that has the S2 slave option, to ignore TTL preflash triggering.

And perhaps if you can do TTL that way to one? I'm not familiar with the other TTL systems. The Nikon Commander however wont mix with other systems, including even true manual mode.
The rule should be, if using Commander, all flashes should be controlled by commander. Which also means only two, maybe three flashes.

I am skeptical of mixing TTL and manual, even if it works. As TTL varies the flash power, this varies the ratio of the other fixed manual light, which does not seem a plus. Ratio is an important factor to control.

The way you explained TTL the metering would take into account the total light it sees which would be the SB-600 plus the SB-700 at whatever manual setting I choose.

I think we may not be discussing Nikon Commander now, but No, I tried to explain that the Commander meters the TTL groups individually (a group is usually one light). Other TTL or Manual lights would NOT be on during that preflash metering. This individual metering was a new big deal in its day (ten years ago). It allows ratio.

The commander sends special coded binary commands addressed to specific group addresses, and only that groups address responds to preflash.

I cannot speak for what the various newer TTL systems might do now, but that is very different than say Nikon film TTL. Film TTL metered all flashes at same time, all at full power, but metering quenched all off at same instant, so there was no concept of controlled ratio, except for how you may have arranged flash distances.

But today, Commander TTL meters each TTL flash individually, and sets corresponding flash power levels into each unit.

Fortkentdad

Should work fine if both manual flash....

TTL has added complication. . . . .

Of course - only the one in TTl would give out the pre-flash. Hence "getting to 'M' " ....

Recommended option would be to go manual using the on board commander mode to trigger the one and then make adjustments based on output desired (best done with light meter or failing that trial and errors) If I could get both to work on CLS then I could control the output of that group from the camera (have to play with how they fit into that softbox to get both of the CLS sensors out of the box and only the lighthead in the box.

And if both were on triggers then that systems method of TTL might work, but your saying 'maybe' as there are different system and you are not speaking to this. That of course would take two triggers which costs. If I go Younguo that could happen - their TTL triggers are about $60 each for 622n.

But if I go the manual I'm back to needing that light meter and learning to use it - not a bad thing, just another thing to buy and learn. ..... but again, if I go cheaper units it is still less. And even if I go with Nikon's CLS and go manual then it is a good idea.

I have to remember that the TTL pre-flash metering by the commander unit is done by 'group' (e.g. A, B, or potentially C if available via an mounted flash or Nikon CLS Commander unit) You are recommending one flash per group, hence two or maybe three flashes. I tend to think of a 'group' of flashes as more than one but I understand what you are saying. I've been using three flashes under Nikon's CLS, four if you count the pop-up as controller. So again, if I want to control more than a couple of flashes in TTL that is another reason to get radio control system (and even then it may be hit and miss.

RE: Ratio etc

Been wrapping my head around the ratio and balance with lighting. Ambient vs flash lighting and the positioning of the lights. Lots to learn here. Learning how adjusting shutter and adjusting aperture works differently with the lights on. The duration of the flash is another factor, through in HSS into the mix and it gets even more complicated. Reading how P.Wizard does HSS differently than others was one of the attractions of P-Wiz but probably not going that way, ... yet.

WayneF

Of course - only the one in TTl would give out the pre-flash. Hence "getting to 'M' " ....

Recommended option would be to go manual using the on board commander mode to trigger the one and then make adjustments based on output desired (best done with light meter or failing that trial and errors) If I could get both to work on CLS then I could control the output of that group from the camera (have to play with how they fit into that softbox to get both of the CLS sensors out of the box and only the lighthead in the box.

Yeah, there are many TTL complications. :) The Commander is simply incompatible with other systems, including real actual manual flash mode (the mode M on the flash menu). The handheld light meter is also incompatible manual gear, designed for real actual manual flash. Because, the Commander, even if in its MAN manual flash mode, still outputs many flashed commands, like to transfer the power level from the commander menu to the remote flash(es). All that flashing will trigger the optical slaves early, before the shutter opens. Then the meter will meter what it sees (that weak early command flashing). And this flashing is far too complex for the simple S2 slave options to deal with.

There are several reasons (detailed at Using the Nikon CLS Remote Wireless Flash System - Part 2 ) why the Commander just ain't gonna work mixed with other systems, including mixing with real actual manual systems. The handheld meter failing with the Commander MAN menu might be worked around by IR filtering the commander, and the meter not being too close to the Commander. But "compatible" is a word far too big. :)

The best advice is if using the Commander, then use it, for all flashes. Otherwise, use another system. The Commander is much more direct line of sight though, often works well, but problems can become much worse than with the simple optical slaves. The remotes do need to see the commander.

I have to remember that the TTL pre-flash metering by the commander unit is done by 'group' (e.g. A, B, or potentially C if available via an mounted flash or Nikon CLS Commander unit) You are recommending one flash per group, hence two or maybe three flashes. I tend to think of a 'group' of flashes as more than one but I understand what you are saying. I've been using three flashes under Nikon's CLS, four if you count the pop-up as controller. So again, if I want to control more than a couple of flashes in TTL that is another reason to get radio control system (and even then it may be hit and miss.

Yes, one group can control more than one flash simultaneously. But yes, I do tend to imply a group is one flash, since all shared have to share the same power level, which is NOT individual control. If you want to control individual flashes, that is one flash per group.

My notion is that commander seems great (and quick and easy) for two flashes in umbrellas, but more becomes a big deal.

Multiple manual flashes and a handheld incident meter becomes the norm for more flashes, and for more careful critical setups. Much more control and versatility is possible then.

RE: Ratio etc

Been wrapping my head around the ratio and balance with lighting. Ambient vs flash lighting and the positioning of the lights. Lots to learn here. Learning how adjusting shutter and adjusting aperture works differently with the lights on. The duration of the flash is another factor, through in HSS into the mix and it gets even more complicated. Reading how P.Wizard does HSS differently than others was one of the attractions of P-Wiz but probably not going that way, ... yet.

Lighting: Speaking of portraits, the simple baseline first idea is this:

Main flash, high and wide of subject, like perhaps 45 degrees both high and wide of subjects nose. This mimics sunshine angles, it makes intentional shadows for the lens to see, showing shape and curves, etc. Adds interest, not a flat light. (flat does have uses sometimes). We might try to categorize different shadow patterns, but high and wide is the common starting point.

Fill flash: to fill the above harsh dark shadows, to instead become very mild gradual tonal changes, still adding interest by showing shapes and curves. This gradual tonal fill is all important, to be "natural". Ratio is the whole idea.
The Fill flash should be located very near camera lens axis, to fill the same shadows that the lens sees, without adding a second set of shadows to distract. This means the fill flash has to be back near the camera, so the lens can see around its umbrella. Behind and above camera is a popular place for it. Fill flash level generally should be around -1 EV from the main light, which is a good ballpark degree of fill ratio (grayscale can use more ratio, but more ratio often distracts from color). Maybe SOMETIMES less ratio for ladies and children, and more for grizzled old men, the prospector type. So even if the fill is -1 EV, this greater distance might mean that fill is the larger flash power needed.

If you do that much, the result will be pretty good. Then a background light and a hair light can add more control of the result.

The PowerWizard Hypersync feature is not HSS. Similar, it does allow a faster shutter, but it is not a constant power level for the total duration (like HSS is). The flash unit has to do HSS, a radio trigger cannot create it.

Last edited:

jtgraphics

My thoughts and advice to save you money before you buy think well down the line on what you may end up doing with all this gear.
Meaning will you ever use a light meter sometime down the line? most triggers do not work with light meters due to Nikon's Pre-flash.
I shoot off camera quite a bit started with Yongnuo had 5 622n's and the TX worked well in both iTTL and M, but later started using a Sekonic 758DR which did not trigger the flash and get readings. I did how ever figure out a work around to get readings with it but was not convenient to do.
Sold it all and when to Pocket Wizard system so I could use the Sekonic to trigger my flashes and get readings.

ITTL has it's uses and does for the most part work but Manual you do have more control over those creative lighting shots.
Manual is not hard once you learn your settings, iTTL is great for the run and gun shoots, and the controllers allow you to dial in power fast.
To learn the Yongnuo will work great in iTTL and manual for a fair price.
PW on the other hand can be pricey I have 4 TT5's Mini with the AC3 works great for my needs as did the Yongnuo with limitations.
Get whats in your budget just think ahead as it may save you money.

WayneF

My thoughts and advice to save you money before you buy think well down the line on what you may end up doing with all this gear.
Meaning will you ever use a light meter sometime down the line? most triggers do not work with light meters due to Nikon's Pre-flash.

Isn't this part of two different thoughts? Using a flash meter is dependent on which of the two is applicable. Maybe it needs a more clear dividing line?

It is of course true that a separate meter is of no use for TTL flash. It will just meter the TTL preflash, and even if metering did work, you still have no way to set a TTL flash level. TTL is automation, it's gonna meter and control with its own meter. Flash compensation can move that up or down a little, but we cannot just set a TTL level. The system is going to set the level.

And a flash is not appropriate for the Nikon Commander either, even in its MAN mode. Due to all of that preliminary command flashing... Commander MAN mode is not quite the same as real Manual mode M.

A hand held meter is way out of place with either of those.

ITTL has it's uses and does for the most part work but Manual you do have more control over those creative lighting shots.

I like this half of it. I do like TTL sometimes, its automation may be the fast way to work, maybe for walk around quick work.
But not for a fixed studio situation of critical work. Then the meter makes all the difference for multiple manual flash control (meaning real genuine manual flash mode, the mode called M on the flash menu). The meter is the only way you can set the manual flashes to have a good idea of what they are going to do, and to know your ratio, etc. Manual flash is the full control method, and speaking of multiple flash, the meter is necessary to know what we're doing. Manual (real Manual) is the easiest to trigger too, we have a wide choice of radio or optical slave triggers, or PC cord, etc. It all just works.

Last edited:

jtgraphics

Isn't this part of two different thoughts? Using a flash meter is dependent on which of the two is applicable. Maybe it needs a more clear dividing line?

It is of course true that a separate meter is of no use for TTL flash. It will just meter the TTL preflash, and even if metering did work, you still have no way to set a TTL flash level. TTL is automation, it's gonna meter and control with its own meter. Flash compensation can move that up or down a little, but we cannot just set a TTL level. The system is going to set the level.

And a flash is not appropriate for the Nikon Commander either, even in its MAN mode. Due to all of that preliminary command flashing... Commander MAN mode is not quite the same as real Manual mode M.

A hand held meter is way out of place with either of those.

I like this half of it. I do like TTL sometimes, its automation may be the fast way to work, maybe for walk around quick work.
But not for a fixed studio situation of critical work. Then the meter makes all the difference for multiple manual flash control (meaning real genuine manual flash mode, the mode called M on the flash menu). The meter is the only way you can set the manual flashes to have a good idea of what they are going to do, and to know your ratio, etc. Manual flash is the full control method, and speaking of multiple flash, the meter is necessary to know what we're doing. Manual (real Manual) is the easiest to trigger too, we have a wide choice of radio or optical slave triggers, or PC cord, etc. It all just works.

Yes I was not clear I was not talking about using the meter along with TTL, its just the fact that even in manual mode you can not get a reading with a meter unless you use PW remotes PW are the only triggers that allow you to trigger flash and get a reading.
The Yongnuo units will not work with a meter unless you use the work around.

Last edited:

WayneF

Yes I was not clear I was not talking about using the meter along with TTL, its just the fact that even in manual mode you can not get a reading with a meter unless you use PW remotes PW are the only triggers that allow you to trigger flash and get a reading.
The Yongnuo units will not work with a meter unless you use the work around.

I meter four Alienbees with a meter. I use no radio trigger at all. Just run a PC sync cord from meter to the flash being metered. That's the way the meter is designed. Then in use, I use the provided optical slave triggers.

If you do want to use a radio trigger, some meters do accept a PocketWizard, but it is not required, any trigger can work as well. Just temporarily move the camera transmitter to the meter (same as you would move the PC cord).
See Review of the Yongnuo YN565EX Speedlight for the procedure.

Fortkentdad

Time for an update on this "getting to M with OCF" story.

So after much consternation and internal debate I decided to go with the Godox line.

Looked long and hard at Pocket Wizard but since one of my three flashes have a PC sync I'd have to go with the hotfoot models or buy new flashes the cost became a bit much.
I looked at the TTL5 set up which in these parts comes in $750 for a mini TTL1 transmitter and two TTL5, plus that AC gizmo. And a bag. But that gave me direct control of two off camera flashes, all others would need to be optical slave. Came close to going that way.

Yongnuo's challenge with using a light meter had me concerned, but I did consider it and the price made it tempting - it is the number one selling brand out there now. Cactus V6 was also in the running as was Phottix models. I spend many evenings back and forth on which one to go with.

In the end I went with the Godox X1 system - the transmitter (with a pass through hot shoe) and two receivers was $180. And I added a new flash GN60 - with Lithium battery - and built in radio transmitter/receiver. Plus a big bare bulb Godox 360ii also with built in radio transmitter/receiver. There is a shop called "Strobe Pro" in Calgary that supplies these rebranded as Strobe-Pro line. This rebranding is an odd way to market but to each their own I guess. The fact there is a 'local' specialty photography lighting shop that features the godox line was part of my choice. Local as in just a six hour drive away. https://strobepro.com/collections/speedlite-flash-1 both flashes I bought there are on that page.

For good measure I've ordered two new softboxes (one arrived from Amazon; the 2'x2' Neweer grid box). A Westcott Apollo is on order yet, importing that from distant NY NY. And a few speedlight modifiers (ebay specials - should be here by Easter).

And I bought a Sekonic 308s light meter. Oh my dearly beloved did ask the other day "are you done yet?" - I just smiled.

Part of the deciding factor was reading that Godox had found a way around the pre-flash problem to use light meters even though the flashes are in TTL. So I had to try this out after the triggers arrived and I'm satisfied it works. It does not work if you trigger the flash with the camera while taking a picture unless the flash itself is in Manual mode - in which case you lose the trigger's remote control features and turn it into a simple dumb trigger that just fires the flash in the Manual setting it is at (just like the basic P.W.). But if you put the flash into TTL and then dial in Manual on the trigger unit, press the Test button and the light meter gets a meaningful reading. Apparently it also works if you attach the trigger to the meter by a cable but that's a bother I didn't try.

It seems to be a valid reading although I'm no expert. If I increase or decrease the power dialed in for the flash - the light meter responds in the appropriate way. I took a set of test shots using the recommended settings from the meter gave me when I pressed "test fire" - and the images all had very similar levels of exposure even though I was using different apertures / shutter speeds and/or ISO. So close enough for this novice.

Today I tested the HSS capacity and I had no problem breaking the 1/250 mark for shutter speed.

I tried a two light set up to torment my poor parrot. He'll let me know when he's annoyed enough - believe me he knows how to say 'no more'.

These are all HSS with two off camera flashes. All flash and the camera in M (well the flash are in TTL but set to M through the trigger). The lights are speedlights (SB-700 and SB-600) with no modifiers. They are side lighting coming at Kiwi from the left and right about two to four feet away. I played with positioning, sometimes higher sometimes as low as sitting on the floor. I like how the background either goes black or pretty close to black. The light meter gave me a reading of F 6.3 at 1/500 (the fasted speed the unit I have would give me? ) This resulted in a lovely fully exposed images - showing the dirty cage and all the mess behind. Chose to creatively hide all that in these shots ignoring the 'recommended' exposure.

Kiwi HSS 2 light DSC_9096 -1.jpgKiwi HSS 2 light DSC_9116 -1.jpgKiwi HSS 2light DSC_9087 -1.jpg

The adventure continues.

Fortkentdad

Another update after the better part of the year using the smaller Godox Trigger (X1) I upgraded to the new X-Pro model recently released. Only played with this new one for a few hours and it is easier to use with the bigger screen and easy access buttons. Downside it does not have a pass through to use an on camera flash. But if I needed an on camera flash I'd just use one of my Godox flashes which also function as triggers. Can't say that besides the big display and ease of use this unit does not seem to add anything the other little one didn't - or that the built in controls on the flashes does not - except it will give control to many more flash groups (choose 5 or 16 groups to control in the menu - five is enough for me) It also allows flash power down to 1/256 although not sure when I'd use that little light. must be a use eh?

I've bought a few Godox flashes and hardly ever use my other flash units now. The V860's are super fast and powerful enough for most uses. The AD360 is the big mother of a flash with power to spare. And I just added the AD200 which is the new style portable strobe light. Have not used that one yet - just got it the other day.

Have no problem recommending Godox (or any of it's re-brands) to any user - works for me and is very affordable.

xpro n -DSC_8617-0001.jpgxpro n -IMG_20171227_233446567_HDR-0002.jpg

I now shoot M with OCF just for fun - this one was mandatory M as it is a Lensbaby manual lens to really a capital "M" not even aperture control through the camera. The flash was off to the side and shot in HSS as I didn't want any of the light to fall onto the tree and spoil the effect.

xmas twist-Dec 27 babysitting day one-DSC_8586-0004-0001.jpg