gettin my feet wet in post-processsing

mikeee

Yay! I've overcome my first big hurdle with this!
My problem is I like "learning by doing", and I had the lens correction module really confused with presets..
(I've putzed with this off and on for 5 yrs, and had randomly tried doing some things)
I have 8 lenses and 2 bodies, and it was definitely appling the wrong stuff in a lot of cases..
Figured out how to clear all preset info this module, then the module could identify 5 out of 8 lenses..
Had to add entries to the ~/.exiv2 config file, and I got them all working! It's something that happens on the import process, so old imports still have the wrong info.

Last edited:

mikeee

@Needa. You are a D7100 shooter. What are you using for the base curve module? I cleared out all my styles too. I think it's setting to alternate nikon now, but I also saw somewhere in there that there's a D7200 curve available.
I know they are the same toshiba sensor, so was thinking of using that.

mikeee

My D7500 is presented with a D7500 curve option. I think I can get it to present the D7200 automatically, fwiw..

Needa

Challenge Team
Yay! I've overcome my first big hurdle with this!
My problem is I like "learning by doing", and I had the lens correction module really confused with presets..
(I've putzed with this off and on for 5 yrs, and had randomly tried doing some things)
I have 8 lenses and 2 bodies, and it was definitely appling the wrong stuff in a lot of cases..
Figured out how to clear all preset info this module, then the module could identify 5 out of 8 lenses..
Had to add entries to the ~/.exiv2 config file, and I got them all working! It's something that happens on the import process, so old imports still have the wrong info.

Are you familiar with installing programs from the command line?
If you install lens fund tools the data base can be update without needing manual entries provided your lens is supported.

First install lensefun-tools:
$ sudo dnf install lensfun-tools

Next
$ lensfun-update-data

How this will affect you modified data base is a question.

mikeee

Yuppers! I'm a linux sysadmin!
I actually already installed lensefun-tools and ran to update.
Thing is the information in the exif is named slightly differently than what's apparently in lens fun for these 3 lenses, so they don't get picked up.
So I defined the following:

MATH16-16 >> cat ~/.exiv2
[nikon]
204=Sigma 50-100mm f1.8 DC HSM Art
122=Tokina AF 11-16mm f2.8 AT-X Pro DX
171=Nikkor AF-P 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR

And now that works.

Are you familiar with installing programs from the command line?
If you install lens fund tools the data base can be update without needing manual entries provided your lens is supported.

First install lensefun-tools:
$ sudo dnf install lensfun-tools

Next
$ lensfun-update-data

How this will affect you modified data base is a question.

Needa

Challenge Team
@Needa. You are a D7100 shooter. What are you using for the base curve module? I cleared out all my styles too. I think it's setting to alternate nikon now, but I also saw somewhere in there that there's a D7200 curve available.
I know they are the same toshiba sensor, so was thinking of using that.

I no longer use base curves I have been using scene-refered workflow. Previous to that I have use neutral, Nikon like and Nikon like alternative depending on photo.

https://avidandrew.com/darktable-scene-referred-workflow.html

Last edited:

mikeee

I think I am going to start with the old way of doing it (older workflow) just because I know it well enough.
I did figure out how to get a D7100 preset using the D7200 profile for baseline. It's kind of fun.
There are 2 sqlite databases that this uses to keep track of history for all the photos and for settings.
I actually manually dumped one of the databases, edited the dump/sql file to add a d7100 entry and re-read/re-created the db..
It didn;t work tho... lol But I did learn some where it stores stuff.

When I was editing the sql file, I saw a ton of old stuff that I had deleted... styles dating back to when I had a D3200 in 2013.
(I had deleted them in the software but they were still in the database)

It takes time to learn this stuff it's a journey. The previous link has lots of embedded links to information.

No reading required here. Start with episode 67
https://www.youtube.com/user/audio2u/videos