FX Lenses on D7500

carguy

It's a compelling suggestion, as the D7200 can be bought CHEAP these days. I guess I was thinking I wanted that Bluetooth/SnapBridge feature on the D7500, although I've read that SnapBridge has had its problems. It would be nice, while traveling, to be able to upload a photo to Facebook on the spot. It's probably not a deal-breaker for me, however.

I agree. If I were shopping for a sub D500 today, I'd opt for the D7200 over the D7500 all day.

Danno

One additional point to the D7200 is its ability to use AF glass that does not contain a focus motor. You can purchase older quality glass for much less. The D7200 can drive these lenses because it contains the motor for focusing as well.

There is a bunch of glass out there that is AF and does not contain a motor. 85 f1.4 comes to mind quickly and it is a very good lens. Also the 50 f1.8D for about $100... and these are just a few.

TwistedThrottle

Yup, I've got several screw drive lenses I use on my D7500 including the 80-200f2.8D push pull,(my oldest lens) 35-70f2.8D push pull and my favorite lens, the tokina 100f2.8 macro. Of course, it also works great with all the modern glass improving on IQ with the backlit sensor. Some lenses I have that shine on this body are the sigma 18-35f1.8 (crop lens) and the sigma 150-600 but what lives on this body most of the time is the newest AF-P 70-300 VR fx, (and a followup mention for the 24-120f4 and 50 f1.8g as well). I use a tokina 11-16 for ultra wides and looks just as good as my tamron 15-30 on the D800. The 15-30 also works great on the D7500 (but I opt for the 18-35 most of the time unless I need the VR). AI and AI-S lenses are the ones that dont function properly on this body, there is no aperture feeler to accommodate those lenses but it does have a camera drive motor for D lenses. D lenses and beyond work great! I've used over 20 different lenses (both crop and full frame) on this body and haven't ran into a single issue whereas I had to do a firmware update for full compatibility with my D800 and AF-P 70-300. There is a considerable amount of misinformation about this camera spread by people who have never even held one simply because of a single card slot and no battery grip, which is probably what most people who gripe about this body need in a camera (different strokes for different folks). Watch the Backcountry (Steve Perry) video about this body. He used it and compared it to the D500 and D7200. (Surprise, its a great camera!) I have never shot with a D7200 or D500, but my D7500 does everything I need it to do and I enjoy the features like tilting touch screen, (great for macro work) and the better than before snapbridge which was horrible on my D5300 but fantastic on the D7500 and non existent on the D800 without some sort of adapter. I can actually take the sd card out of the d800 and pop it in the D7500 to transfer the D800 pics to my phone if I need to. I have used it for everything from portraits to landscape, architecture to sports, birds in flight, macro and lots of stuff in between. Its my transformer camera.

mikeee

Yup, I've got several screw drive lenses I use on my D7500 including the 80-200f2.8D push pull,(my oldest lens) 35-70f2.8D push pull and my favorite lens, the tokina 100f2.8 macro. Of course, it also works great with all the modern glass improving on IQ with the backlit sensor. Some lenses I have that shine on this body are the sigma 18-35f1.8 (crop lens) and the sigma 150-600 but what lives on this body most of the time is the newest AF-P 70-300 VR fx, (and a followup mention for the 24-120f4 and 50 f1.8g as well). I use a tokina 11-16 for ultra wides and looks just as good as my tamron 15-30 on the D800. The 15-30 also works great on the D7500 (but I opt for the 18-35 most of the time unless I need the VR). AI and AI-S lenses are the ones that dont function properly on this body, there is no aperture feeler to accommodate those lenses but it does have a camera drive motor for D lenses. D lenses and beyond work great! I've used over 20 different lenses (both crop and full frame) on this body and haven't ran into a single issue whereas I had to do a firmware update for full compatibility with my D800 and AF-P 70-300. There is a considerable amount of misinformation about this camera spread by people who have never even held one simply because of a single card slot and no battery grip, which is probably what most people who gripe about this body need in a camera (different strokes for different folks). Watch the Backcountry (Steve Perry) video about this body. He used it and compared it to the D500 and D7200. (Surprise, its a great camera!) I have never shot with a D7200 or D500, but my D7500 does everything I need it to do and I enjoy the features like tilting touch screen, (great for macro work) and the better than before snapbridge which was horrible on my D5300 but fantastic on the D7500 and non existent on the D800 without some sort of adapter. I can actually take the sd card out of the d800 and pop it in the D7500 to transfer the D800 pics to my phone if I need to. I have used it for everything from portraits to landscape, architecture to sports, birds in flight, macro and lots of stuff in between. Its my transformer camera.

I've had my D7500 a few days now, and it's really growin on me! There are a few things it does better than my D7100.
I am keeping my D7100 with grip and dual cards, so I have the best of both worlds..

TwistedThrottle

I've had my D7500 a few days now, and it's really growin on me! There are a few things it does better than my D7100.
I am keeping my D7100 with grip and dual cards, so I have the best of both worlds..
I've never used another D7XXX body. How does the 7500 compare ergonomically? Do you find the smaller body more comfortable or are you missing the heft of the 7100, or is it too close to call? I sold my D5300 which was much smaller than the 7500 and I have a D800 which is much bigger. I agree, there are certain times that a battery grip or a second memory card are useful. But the more I shoot with the 7500, the more I dont use the D800 which Ive got the second memory card and the grip for.

mikeee

I've never used another D7XXX body. How does the 7500 compare ergonomically? Do you find the smaller body more comfortable or are you missing the heft of the 7100, or is it too close to call? I sold my D5300 which was much smaller than the 7500 and I have a D800 which is much bigger. I agree, there are certain times that a battery grip or a second memory card are useful. But the more I shoot with the 7500, the more I dont use the D800 which Ive got the second memory card and the grip for.

D7100 and D7500 are about the same size, but I have a lot more heft on the D7100 with the grip. I like having the second battery, and I like the grip for my Sigma A 50-100mm lens, which is
about 3 pounds. I just learned to use the Automatic AF fine tune, and it was very helpful for calibrating some of my lenses.. Helped me realize which lenses need some correction
and I have them focusing better on the D7100 too.

TwistedThrottle

D7100 and D7500 are about the same size, but I have a lot more heft on the D7100 with the grip. I like having the second battery, and I like the grip for my Sigma A 50-100mm lens, which is
about 3 pounds. I just learned to use the Automatic AF fine tune, and it was very helpful for calibrating some of my lenses.. Helped me realize which lenses need some correction
and I have them focusing better on the D7100 too.
I tried getting that lens. Ordered it through The Rainforest, showed up a canon mount in spite of the fact it was listed as Nikon. Sent it back and they wouldnt honor the same price for the Nikon so I got a Tamron 70-200 instead. I still want the 50-100 for my crop system but its going to be a while. I have the 18-35 and it would be a perfect crop combo.
I like the grip on the d800 just fine but I went into the 7500 knowing about the limitations and it worked out to be a perfect fit for my needs. I wanted both, a camera that had a grip and dual cards and use big lenses on but also a camera that I could easily cart around with me that was similar enough to be familiar with and could use all the same lenses. The D800 and D5300 had completely different layouts. The D800 and D7500 have very similar layouts and actually prefer the iso location on the D7500.