Forum Slow as Molasses now

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I don't believe them. I am almost back to normal speed now. I think it was that heavy rain we had yesterday. I also changed my DNS servers and made a good difference.

Every once in a while my internet speed slowed WAY down. And when I say WAY down, specifically 0.01mb/s instead of @13mb/s. Quite often I noticed it when it rained so they sent out a tech to take a look. There is a cable splitter outside where the line meets the side of our house. When he unfastened the cable splitter, water spilled out of it.

They finally installed an outside box to protect where the line gets coupled by the cable splitter. It sounds like either a cable splitter is getting wet or the outside line might be going bad. Our outside line was replaced years ago, too, because of the problems it caused with cable TV--the picture was snowy, etc.

Scott Murray

Works internet.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    75.6 KB · Views: 41
Where I worked before I retired was a TV station. They installed a 60 MBps line = 480 Mbps. I had never seen a line that fast before. They were using it to stream live HD video from one studio to another.
I case you did not know. Many stations do not do their own news. They might have a few local reporters to do local stories and they package those spots and upload them to a studio that might be in a different part of the country. They in turn have the studio and the anchors. They appear to be local and will occasionally might make a local spot to look like they are there. There was a company in Iowa that did news for probably 40 or 50 different stations both in English and Spanish. They had multiple studios and a team of anchors. They would pump shows out all day and feed them out for the local stations to play back that day.