Former D90 owners who now use D7100/D7000

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I would prefer a DSLR without video mode. I wish that was an option. I don't shoot video at all and have no plans to start. I do use A, S, and M modes only. I never use P modes or any of the presets.

However, I am not sure my needs call for a full frame camera just yet. I love the performance they offer as to quality, particularly in low light, and the fantastic use of high ISO numbers, but I really do not use a camera in low light very often. I sure do not need the FPS they offer.

The biggest thing about FX is the initial cost of the body. For now at least, way out of my budget. But, any camera is out of my budget at the moment.

I am simply thinking way ahead in terms of next camera.

Mike, I mentioned making the jump from a D90 to a D600 only because I wanted you to know there wasn't a big learning curve there and wouldn't anticipate a big learning curve if you upgrade from your D90 to a D7100/D7000. Sorry if you misunderstood my post! The switch can't be all that much different though. :)

Oh...one thing that DOES bug me is when I use the +/- button on the top of the D90. To underexpose, the subcommand wheel needs to go to the right, and to raise exposure it needs to go to the left. It is just the opposite on my D610/D600. Not sure how it works on the D7100/D7000 but it's a pain when I switch back and forth between cameras. ;) Other than that, the switch was pretty seamless going from DX to FX so I don't anticipate it would be difficult at all for you to upgrade to a more current DX body. :D

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Mike, have you checked out the differences in buttons on their backs? Here are a couple of photos pulled from online images:

D90 image comes from: http://www.dphotoexpert.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/d90_back_l.jpg

d90_back_l.jpg

D7100 image comes from: http://nofilmschool.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Nikon-D7100_back.high_.jpg

Nikon-D7100_back.high_.jpg

Dave_W

The Dude
Oh...one thing that DOES bug me is when I use the +/- button on the top of the D90. To underexpose, the subcommand wheel needs to go to the right, and to raise exposure it needs to go to the left. It is just the opposite on my D610/D600. Not sure how it works on the D7100/D7000 but it's a pain when I switch back and forth between cameras
You should be able to reverse that in the menu options. My first DSLR was a D70s and I've since grown accustom to things moving in that direction so one of the first things I do with a new camera is reverse these.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
You should be able to reverse that in the menu options. My first DSLR was a D70s and I've since grown accustom to things moving in that direction so one of the first things I do with a new camera is reverse these.

If I remember correctly, I *think* I looked into it but it isn't an option. If there is a way to change the direction of the subcommand dial, would someone please let me know!

Geoffc

Mike, I mentioned making the jump from a D90 to a D600 only because I wanted you to know there wasn't a big learning curve there and wouldn't anticipate a big learning curve if you upgrade from your D90 to a D7100/D7000. Sorry if you misunderstood my post! The switch can't be all that much different though. :)

Oh...one thing that DOES bug me is when I use the +/- button on the top of the D90. To underexpose, the subcommand wheel needs to go to the right, and to raise exposure it needs to go to the left. It is just the opposite on my D610/D600. Not sure how it works on the D7100/D7000 but it's a pain when I switch back and forth between cameras. ;) Other than that, the switch was pretty seamless going from DX to FX so I don't anticipate it would be difficult at all for you to upgrade to a more current DX body. :D

The direction of the wheels is configurable in one of the menus in all Nikons I've used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Coming from as a D80 and D700, the only feature that I had to look up without reading the owner's manual was how to set-up the AF point. The Nikon tutorial video addressed that.

Otherwise, the learning curve isn't that complicated. You might need to improve your hand holding technique since they are not as forgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geoffc

It is an option, although an expensive one. It's called a Nikon Df. :) I think it's the only one that doesn't have video possibilities. And some people complain it doesn't. Go figure.

I never understand the complaints about cameras providing video even though people don't need it. I use it so infrequently that you could say I don't need it but my coping strategy is just not pressing the record button. So far this has worked without too much stress.

These cameras have lots of features that each person may or not need. For example, they all seem to have P mode, but who uses it after getting beyond the basics? I really don't see the problem unless they want me to pay more for the feature. With regard to video I don't believe it has increased the cost of the cameras. For example, the D300 was about the same price as the D300s.

Mike D90

I never understand the complaints about cameras providing video even though people don't need it. I use it so infrequently that you could say I don't need it but my coping strategy is just not pressing the record button. So far this has worked without too much stress.

I just see it as tits on a bull.

However, I never really complained. I just wish it was MY CHOICE to have it without video.

Mike D90

But I suspect a two version product line would increase cost.

I don't doubt it would and I am not actually asking for it to be built. I just don't use video and I have no need for it. Although I can just ignore it, like I do now, it just seems like a lot of functionality that might affect something somewhere that could benefit without it. But I am not a camera designer or expert so I don't know for sure. I just hate things to be there that I could live without and have no choice about it.

Its like cell phones. It became impossible to buy one that had no camera built in and you can guarantee that is the friggin' button that always got pushed by accident.

skater

I thought I had posted this, but I guess not...So I'll throw this out there, not really answering your question but possibly helping:

I went from a D70 to a D7000, which is a pretty large jump. As I understand Nikon's models, the D90 is what replaced the D70. I had very few problems doing everything that I did with the D70 - the learning curve for similar functions was practically zero. Naturally there were a bunch of new features to learn, but I was still good to go out and shoot pictures. Now I switch back and forth between both cameras and the only things that slow me down are the minuscule display of the D70 (holy crap, how did I deal with that for so long? - of course the D90's display is much larger than the D70's) and functions like disabling the flash are different; usually easier on the D7000. Adjusting most settings is pretty much the same.

But to take a larger view, you could pick up the latest Canon and do fine, too. You know how to take pictures; operating the camera is a mechanical thing you'd pick up quickly even if you switched brands. It's like writing a program - after you know how program, picking up a new language is just learning the syntax; you don't have to re-learn how to program.

Woodyg3

Contributor
Hi, Mike. I just went from many good years with the D70 to being a new D7100 owner. It's no problem to pick up the camera and start shooting. I spent a half hour with the manual and reoriented myself with the features I use regularly. There are lots of new, fun features that you may or may not use. Double card slot, HDR, more focus options, etc. The increased ISO range, lower noise, better resolution, greater color depth, etc. all make the camera well worth the money for an UPGRADE, and NOT a lateral move, IMO.

Honestly, I find the D7100 way more intuitive to use than the P810 point and shoot I got a few months ago. ;)

Last edited:

Unklejon

Ok I was a happy D90 user - and I am now an even happier D7000 user... As for the differences in user interface etc... you know I simply cannot remember the change out was so simple and straightforward... As some one else says if you can drive A car then you can drive MOST cars. Same with these two cameras - I am a happy amateur and the D7000 is helping me turn out sharp clear crisp images. I was considering changing again for a full format - but hey why bother I have just been on a photo shoot with 20 Nikon users all the rest were FX and my pictures were as good as and even better than some of theirs ... go D7000 or D7100

Goodgulf the Wizard

One of the problems going from 12 mp to 24mp is the lenses in the dx range.
Check out Thom Hogan's website.
Unfortunately, Nikon seems to have let all the third party lens makers give us decent DX lenses.