Flash Recommendations

Marko

I like my sb400, small and lightweight and an improvement over the built in flash on my d5100. I picked mine up from pc world eBay store for 45 quid new last year. OK it's not a match for the bigger guns but works for me

Horoscope Fish

I like my sb400, small and lightweight and an improvement over the built in flash on my d5100. I picked mine up from pc world eBay store for 45 quid new last year. OK it's not a match for the bigger guns but works for me
I still have my SB-400 (now discontinued!) and I have to admit, it's handy little flash to have around.

In all honesty, it would probably handle 90% of my flash needs which consist primarily of outdoor fill. If I need to light up a concert hall, I have my Yongnuo 565, but I'll never let go of my SB-400: It's small but mighty!

Englischdude

yongnuo 468 ii. was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago, although I could have afforded the SB from Nikon i could not justify the extra cost compared to the YN 468ii which I own and love. I may soon be looking for a second flash and I can say with confidence it will be an Yongnuo.

Deleted

Hello

I was given the D5100 as a present so that I could learn photography.

I would like to upgrade from the standard flash.

Can you please recommend a good reasonably priced flash attachment?

Thanks

Hi

One thing to consider is what do you want the flash to do?

I agree that at your budget, the Yongnuo is the only unit that fits.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi

One thing to consider is what do you want the flash to do?

I agree that at your budget, the Yongnuo is the only unit that fits.

Yes, this is important. I'm not familiar with the capabilities of all the flashes mentioned, but have you considered whether you want a flash that offers high-speed shutter sync? I don't think every flash made has that capability. Do all flash units work wirelessly or in commander mode? I don't know the answer myself, but if they don't, then maybe some of the other members can elaborate on this. More expensive flash units can cover a greater distance (the guide number that was mentioned earlier) and illuminate much farther than the built in flash. Do you have any idea how far you want it to reach? If you answer some of these questions (and possibly others), perhaps we can hone in on which unit will best meet your needs. :)

Vinnydude

I've also got the YN560III and a trigger. For the money it is a superb flash! Get a diffuser too and you're ready to go :)

Your main focus with the flashes should be whether or not you want TTL or not. I much prefer things doing what I tell them to so being full manual is fine for me.

Another thing to consider is Yonguo are soon to be releasing the 560iv, might be with waiting for that if you're wanting to use it as a flash master.

Very happy with my 560iii though. Get a Diffuser and a trigger and you should be very happy with the results.

richnmib

I've also got the YN560III and a trigger. For the money it is a superb flash! Get a diffuser too and you're ready to go :)

Your main focus with the flashes should be whether or not you want TTL or not. I much prefer things doing what I tell them to so being full manual is fine for me.

Another thing to consider is Yonguo are soon to be releasing the 560iv, might be with waiting for that if you're wanting to use it as a flash master.

Very happy with my 560iii though. Get a Diffuser and a trigger and you should be very happy with the results.

This!

jen_storm

Hi

I didnt realise I had more replies. Sorry for the late thank you's.

I want to learn how to take photos of people i.e Babies/Families in a home studio. So I am not looking for a flash that needs to reach a huge distance but that will help flatter the people.

I am a complete novice and I am yet to learn how to use my camera. It is a project I plan to start once I have a new flash now I have the time to do so.

skene

hmmm... home studio... flatter... why not just save up and get yourself an inexpensive strobe and trigger kit. Then at least you can get inexpensive hotshoe flashes that can be triggered in slave mode and used as fill lighting. This would really be the way to go in terms of a home studio.

VanillaPaw

I am sorry to post here but as I am also interested in getting a flash, I was thinking on the Meike MK-910, what are your experience or opinions about this one as most of you talk about the Yongnou or Metz

(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•. Meow..•~

WayneF

I'm sorry, I don't know about it, it must be something new. Just reading the Amazon description, it seems fully featured and full powered. Even HSS flash, and works with the Commander. Not great numbers of customer reviews yet, but they seem happy. I see no mention of a US warranty, which can be an issue on imports. But the price is certainly right, could buy two or three for a Nikon price.