Flash Drive Quality

silvercreek

Are there difference levels of flash drive quality like there are with memory cards? If so, how do you identify quality flash drives other than the brand name possibly? Does bit rate have anything to do with flash drive quality?

Ruidoso Bill

The main difference between the more expensive drives and the cheaper ones seems to be features, especially security and file encryption. Some are more rugedized than others but if you compare cheap USB3 to expensive USB3 I would doubt you could tell any difference. I guess I'm a little old school but I never consider them a permanent memory solution for backup etc.

silvercreek

I mostly curious about flash drive in reference to MP3 music and bit rate. Whether or not a cheaper flash drive could have any effect on the bit rate or sound quality of music.

Ironwood

My wife tells me the cheap ones don't upload or download as quick as the good ones. She uses them to back-up our shop computer every afternoon.

§am

The actual bitrate of the MP3 file is irrelevant in this case (to an extent).
You do get differences in the read/write speed of USB pen/flash drives, but not all manufacturers are too forthcoming with those speeds like they do on SD cards.

For the purposes of reading MP3 files, even a USB(1) drive is more than capable of providing sufficient read speeds to not affect the quality of the music - as long as it was recorded in a decent bitrate to start with :)