Fisheye and macro lens recommendatiions for 5100

480sparky

Re: Fisheye and ultra wide angle for 5100 DX

..........That is, when choosing a lens for a DX camera, is there a rule of thumb as to whether FX or DX is the wiser lens choice ?........

Depends on whether your future plans include FX bodies. If not, stay with DX lenses.... especially fisheyes.

Mediaman09

Re: Fisheye and ultra wide angle for 5100 DX

Depends on whether your future plans include FX bodies. If not, stay with DX lenses.... especially fisheyes.

No plans for an FX body, so DX format it is.

As to my final selection, while I normally stick to only Nikon lenses, I think I may make the one exception on a fisheye, given the nature of the beast - ie an exaggerated lens, that I would use an irregular basis, but still "fun" to have in the collection. I cant seem to justify the additional cost of the Nikon fisheye vs the Korean alternatives. Currently considering the fisheye from Bower (ask Rokinon/Samyang/ProOptic), specifically the Bower 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye ( Nixon DX format)

Nikon 10mm f/2.8mm fisheye ($629 US):
Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8G ED DX Fisheye Nikkor Lens 2148 B&H Photo
Bower 8mm f/2.5mm fisheye ($229 US) :
Bower SLY 358N 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye Lens for Nikon APS-C SLY358N

Of all lenses in my collection, a fisheye seems like the one I could get away with a non-Nikon purchase, and save the money toward other purchases when I am ready. Hope the logic isn't too flawed :)

The Bower got a great review and recommendation from Ken Rockwell here: 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye Lens: Samyang, Pro-Optic, Bower Pros and cons like any lens, but sure seems like a great value.

Another review, tested with the 5100, is here : Review: Rokinon 8mm f3.5 Fisheye (For Nikon) - The Phoblographer ; its far more critical, especially with regard to focussing.

Some excerpts:

Focusing the lens is done by using the distance scale on top of the lens and using your best estimated guess of whether you’re in focus or not. The Nikon D5100’s viewfinder doesn’t allow you to see that much detail in order to tell if you’re in focus or not with this lens.

The D5100 has an electronic rangefinder system that I thought would kick in and work well with the lens’s AF confirmation chip. In real life practice, the two worked together like fire and water. The rangefinder would tell me that the subject on the specified focusing point was in focus when it actually wasn’t anywhere near it.

....My biggest gripe with the lens though was that it was so damned hard to use with the D5100. If the AF focus confirmation chip worked better with the Nikon rangefinder system, I would think very diferently about this otherwise near perfect lens. .... I really just wish it wasn’t so tough to use. But at this price point, one can’t complain.

Between the two reviews, sound like a great lens, but not exactly a wise choice the 5100.

Per Bower site there are actually two models :

Super-Wide 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye Lens for Nikon
Model Number: SLY358N
BowerUSA.com

Super-Wide 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye Lens for Nikon AE Digital Cameras
Model Number: SLY358AE
http://www.bowerusa.com/300-super-wide-8mm-f-3-5-fisheye-lens-for-nikon-ae-digital-cameras.html

The spinoff brands also have others model with removable lens hood.

Last edited:

Mediaman09

As fisheyes are difficult to focus at the best of times, I decided against the Bower for use with my 5100. No point asking for trouble. My dealer also confirmed its not a good combo. He suggested at some point, I may want to consider a used Nikon 10mm fisheye. Not a bad idea actually.

For now, I am filling the other void in my collection : a quality ultra wide angle. Today I purchased the Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM.

Now comes the enjoyment time!

Thanks again for advice and suggestions in this thread.

Last edited:

Mediaman09

How can a fisheye be difficult to focus? They have almost infinite DOF, so focus is mostly a non-issue.
Well, I'm sure that's generally true, but apparently it's not that simple, as outlined in Chris's specific experience with this fisheye and the 5100, as noted above. In his detailed assessment, he talks of many out if focus photos.

As well there is a known issue with a factory miscalibrated focus ring, which needs to be fixed by either retuning the lens or doing some local surgery. Ref: https://www.flickr.com/groups/fish-eye/discuss/72157623021064866

At almost $400 on the road, I was simply not comfortable with all that drama, for something that, as you say, should mostly not be an issue.

Mediaman09

I too don't rely on the focus ring and only use the viewfinder. Still, I would not touch this lens...

1) Chris mentions, amongst other concerns "Focusing the lens is done by...using your best estimated guess of whether you’re in focus or not. The Nikon D5100's viewfinder doesn’t allow you to see that much detail in order to tell if you’re in focus or not with this lens.

2) And the flicker post notes that ignoring the focus fix has an impact, ie "'tis true that you can leave an uncorrected focus at 1.5 feet (effectively infinity) and shoot at f/8 for most shots... even with my adjusted lens it sits at infinity almost all the time.There are two caveats in not doing the fix though. You loose the ability to keep the subject tack sharp when it is closer than three feet and there is a chance you might bump the focus beyond infinity, which would defocus the lens"

Anyway, to each his own. This model is not for me.

Last edited: