Firts outing with D850

floridafan

I guess they need to be resized drastically in order to upload them. Currently they are between 20 and 30k kbs… So it is not as easy as I thought. My wife will try to reconfigure them into a size we can upload tomorrow...

floridafan

Alligator.jpg

Blade Canyon

There's a long running debate about using VR with high shutter speeds.
"Nikon recommends turning VR off with shutter speeds of 1/500s or greater."

I never heard that before. Very interesting. Don't use VR on a tripod or at high shutter speeds. I guess the default setting for VR on my lenses should be OFF unless I believe I need it. Maybe I will do some tests of this theory today.

spb_stan

Welcome to Nikonites
Program mode really is not an auto mode other than balancing exposure triad element that was not manually set. If it possible to get some really strange combinations of speed and aperture. That means a lot of other settings could be the cause due to being set for different conditions than the photos called for. The file data for the photos would probably give the clues to the cause of the poor images. Was anything in focus in the frame or was it all blurry. If the former, it was a focusing problem and if the latter it was camera vibration. At high shutter speeds, VR can actually make it worse than if turned off. Anything over 1/500 is getting compromised, and any use of VR on a steady tripod is less clear than if it is turned off.
I suspect that P mode lowered the shutter speed at the aperture was increased and shutter speed got pretty low for a 45mpx camera. I seldom use Program mode since I usually have a specific depth of field and shutter speed in mind based on the lighting conditions or speed of the action.
Please pick one of the blurry images and inspect the camera data for one of the photos ...fl, aperture, shutter, AF mode, ISO and Picture Control, and focus lock status and post them so we can analyze them and collectively figure out the cause of the disappointment
As you likely know, you got the best camera available in FF format so it is probably a setting that was overlooked due to the increased options available..

spb_stan

These images are shaped but inspecting the small jpg first image showed the hard contrasty light generated a lot of pin-points specular light on each of the points of the scales. That can decrease the perception of detail. Detail is aplenty in each of those shot. The ISO on one of the last ones was up to 1000, which also robs detail. I downloaded the first one to look at more closely and backed off the contrast and saw an improvement in detail but the specular highlights are blown out so that data is gone. In such hard contrasty scenes, using the cool feature of the D850 "Highlight-weighted metering" could assure specular highlights are not blown.
These animals are slow enough moving to use lower shutter speed to be able to get deep enough of field and not lose detail in the dark areas. These sensors have about linear "iso'less" dynamic range degradation with sensitivity. That means every stop increase in ISO results in about 1 stop less dynamic range. One of the great features of the D850 is a low native ISO. If that image was shot at OSO 64 or 50 ISO the contrast would be better dealt with. That is 3 full stops less DR at 1000 ISO than ISO 64. That is the same as replacing the D850 and shooting that scene with a D90 at ISO 160, except the D90 at 160 has slightly better DR than the D850 at 1000. All the passion for high ISO by people looking for extremes of high ISO numbers seems to forget that there is no free lunch. In scenes like that she would do better to lower the ISO to 50 or 100 and sent the aperture for the depth of field desired and shutter for the slowest the movement of the subject allows and let the scene be captured underexposed, The noise level after boosting the exposure in Photoshop or Lightroom would be the same as if she just shot with higher ISO but with the advantage of no loss to blown highlights. Scenes like this broken shade really test the DR of a camera so a lot of attention to preserve DR should be used. Would she be happy shooting with a 10-year-old crop camera? That is one way of thinking about the loss of DR that happens they use higher than needed ISO. According to the data, the D850 has the same DR at 4000 ISO as a D1 at ISO 200. That was Nikon's first attempt at producing a digital camera 21 years ago.