First time!

Moab Man

[MENTION=6277]Don Kuykendall[/MENTION]
Photoshop crop tool shows the thirds. Noted the points on the ruler, pencil tool to draw the white lines.

No need to steal the idea, I give it to you, you have helped all of us plenty. Glad to be able to return the favor.

Last edited:

Moab Man

But you could easily do an overlay with a transparent background and save it in different formats 8x12 and 8x10 etc. Then save it as a png to retain the transparency.

Chase_

In my opinion, the rusty wire shot would make a really good Black and White art shot...and would make excellent PP practice..

Have fun, @Chase_ look forward to your seeing your images!

077a94d3db583cb906f9c61dcbabff21.jpg
like this?

Moab Man

First as a parent and a teacher I have to say don't play on the railroad tracks and get yourself killed. No photo is worth losing your life for. With that said...

The shot does have a cool perspective and leading lines taking you to something - AN ONCOMING TRAIN! LOL It has a better balance of thirds.

Do keep in mind, always shoot what you enjoy and screw what everyone else thinks along with the rules. With that said, it is good to learn as much of the rules as you can and how to apply them so that when you're breaking the rules there is a thoughtful REASON as to why you're breaking the rules.

Thanks for sharing and do stay safe.

Chase_

First as a parent and a teacher I have to say don't play on the railroad tracks and get yourself killed. No photo is worth losing your life for. With that said...

The shot does have a cool perspective and leading lines taking you to something - AN ONCOMING TRAIN! LOL It has a better balance of thirds.

Do keep in mind, always shoot what you enjoy and screw what everyone else thinks along with the rules. With that said, it is good to learn as much of the rules as you can and how to apply them so that when you're breaking the rules there is a thoughtful REASON as to why you're breaking the rules.

Thanks for sharing and do stay safe.

Thank you very much! And actually I didn't see the train until after I took the picture

Moab Man

Thank you very much! And actually I didn't see the train until after I took the picture

Always survey your surroundings, to include who is around you. Your D3000 is an older piece of equipment, but it still has value. And on that note, know that it is not the camera that makes a great photographer. It's the photographer that knows how to use his tools - camera, software, composing a shot, etc...

One of the photographers on here, Don Kuykendall, is the perfect example of it being the photographer and not the camera. When he just had his D5100, combined with his know how, I was always blown away at how he could make that camera overachieve with superior images than others with equipment far exceeding Don's. Of course good equipment does make it easier, but it's not the key to great photography.

On that note of improving the photographer, on this forum we have a project 365 area. That is where you take a photo everyday and post it. There are many on here, including myself, that will tell you doing a 365 is the best fastest way to improve you photography. It forces you to truly know your equipment when you handle it every day. Sure the year has started, but there is no reason why you couldn't get started as of today. Think about it.

Heading out to go shoot a haunted lake in the dark... oooh scary! Hoping the moonlight will light it up well and that the moon is far enough over so that I can get the stars over the Rocky Mountains. May be a complete failure, but I'll never know until I try it.

RON_RIP

Now that is scary. Photographers especially need to have situational awareness if , for no other reason, that they will not miss a photo opportunity. Be alert. We need more lerts. Was a cool photo though.

Chase_

Always survey your surroundings, to include who is around you. Your D3000 is an older piece of equipment, but it still has value. And on that note, know that it is not the camera that makes a great photographer. It's the photographer that knows how to use his tools - camera, software, composing a shot, etc...

One of the photographers on here, Don Kuykendall, is the perfect example of it being the photographer and not the camera. When he just had his D5100, combined with his know how, I was always blown away at how he could make that camera overachieve with superior images than others with equipment far exceeding Don's. Of course good equipment does make it easier, but it's not the key to great photography.

On that note of improving the photographer, on this forum we have a project 365 area. That is where you take a photo everyday and post it. There are many on here, including myself, that will tell you doing a 365 is the best fastest way to improve you photography. It forces you to truly know your equipment when you handle it every day. Sure the year has started, but there is no reason why you couldn't get started as of today. Think about it.

Heading out to go shoot a haunted lake in the dark... oooh scary! Hoping the moonlight will light it up well and that the moon is far enough over so that I can get the stars over the Rocky Mountains. May be a complete failure, but I'll never know until I try it.

I think I might do one! Be careful!

Chase_

Moab Man

Correct. You start a thread in the 365 area and title it like "Chases pursuit of 365 in 2015" Then, each day you post a picture to it every day. The first 30 days is easy. After that it becomes more difficult as you start to run out of easy stuff to shoot. That's when people often start to get creative and improve.

Chase_

Correct. You start a thread in the 365 area and title it like "Chases pursuit of 365 in 2015" Then, each day you post a picture to it every day. The first 30 days is easy. After that it becomes more difficult as you start to run out of easy stuff to shoot. That's when people often start to get creative and improve.

Ok, thank you very much for all your help!

Moab Man

You're welcome. You should grab that perfect effects 9 that's being talked about in the Processing forum. It's free and it's the full software.