First serious portrait work

Moab Man

Unfortunately she has to stay home to care for her father. I would love to be able to do this with my wife. I enjoy working with her.

WayneF

The funny part is the teenage demographic. I dialed in the shadows, and got pleasing results. However, in focus group testing - a bunch of teenage girls, they all liked the super bright over the cascading shadows. And I repeatedly heard, "that's how all the cheerleader photos are done." Why fight it, if that's what girls are liking then that's what they like. The photos are for the girls, not me.

You have another very serious weapon for the girls. Just explain how the short lighting (darker near side of the face which is turned towards camera) makes the face look more thin, when less of it is brightly visible, compared to broad lighting (darker far side turned away, with broad bright side towards camera). Showing two results side by side can have impact. Short lighting is standard lighting technique, and has serious appeal to the ladies when they realize it what it does for them. :) There are exceptions, faces naturally too thin like broad lighting.

Too much ratio becomes contrasty and dramatic, which can have its place (grizzled old men for example), but can be excessively dramatic for routine stuff like cheerleaders. And too flat and even is a fault too, pretty dull. But a compromise, a bit of ratio, is always a good thing. Start paying attention to all pictures you see... movies, magazines, TV soap ads, etc. Look at the lighting.

For example, the Portrait Professional ad at right bottom of this page... Looks high key, nothing is dark, but stop and look at it. Two sides of neck. Two sides of face. Lights are not equal, and it is NOT flat. Shading shows shape pleasingly, and the face looks thin.

Oops! I realize now there are more than one of those. :) I mean the one single good one.

Last edited:

Moab Man

That was my attempt at being funny.

I added this to my favorites so I can read Waynes comments over and over. He always has great stuff to add.

Sure, you're being the funny guy and I'm holding my breath so that I am not killed by the misses. :)

Honest dear, you just have to look at the funny side of me climbing on the furniture.

Mike D90

You have another very serious weapon for the girls. Just explain how the short lighting (darker near side of the face which is turned towards camera) makes the face look more thin, when less of it is brightly visible, compared to broad lighting (darker far side turned away, with broad bright side towards camera). Showing two results side by side can have impact. Short lighting is standard lighting technique, and has serious appeal to the ladies when they realize it what it does for them. :) There are exceptions, faces naturally too thin like broad lighting.

Too much ratio becomes contrasty and dramatic, which can have its place (grizzled old men for example), but can be excessively dramatic for routine stuff like cheerleaders. And too flat and even is a fault too, pretty dull. But a compromise, a bit of ratio, is always a good thing. Start paying attention to all pictures you see... movies, magazines, TV soap ads, etc. Look at the lighting.

For example, the Portrait Professional ad at right bottom of this page... Looks high key, nothing is dark, but stop and look at it. Two sides of neck. Two sides of face. Lights are not equal, and it is NOT flat. Shading shows shape pleasingly, and the face looks thin.

Oops! I realize now there are more than one of those. :) I mean the one single good one.

Contributing members don't see those ads so I, and George too, cannot see the ad you are referring too.

Pretzel

MM. I just want to take a minute and say "Thanks." Pass it on for me, too, to the community that is doing this for these kids. This brief moment in time may be the moment that makes a difference... and if you help just one to find their way, you've changed the world.