First outing with 18 - 105mm

I was sold on the 18-105 from the many glowing reports of it here. When I got the D7000 I made sure I got it along with it. It is seldom off. It does well on my D500 as well.

wud

Now this subject I struggled with - and it was stationery!

I think all the reflections off the dark background and the overall feel that it could do with a good dusting contributed to the difficulty - it couldn't be my "new" lens and definitely not me! ;)

View attachment 61908

Some vignetting could do a lot :) Congrats on your new toy! The rose on last page are beautiful, you should get a big print of it.

Lawrence

Another weed.

So we spread LOL.jpg

Lawrence

I didn't know where else to post this as there is no "Weed" thread! I think there should be.
Anyway here is my latest contribution to the weed family.

Set to sow copy.jpg

Lawrence

Hey Ron
Thanks for that.
I do think this would look good printed and it so much more "manly" than the rose! ;)
So two potential prints whoooo hooooo. :triumphant:

RON_RIP

What you talking? 50% 0f my prints are roses. You know the effort you made to capture these 2 images. Well the effort to turn them into viable prints is just as complicated. So get to work. it"s not done till it"s on the wall, and let us not forget the pain of framing. So while the woods are lovely, dark and deep, you have promises to keep and miles to go before you sleep. Send us a picture of your pictures when you get them on the wall.

Lawrence

What you talking? 50% 0f my prints are roses. You know the effort you made to capture these 2 images. Well the effort to turn them into viable prints is just as complicated. So get to work. it"s not done till it"s on the wall, and let us not forget the pain of framing. So while the woods are lovely, dark and deep, you have promises to keep and miles to go before you sleep. Send us a picture of your pictures when you get them on the wall.

I would have to take them for printing as I don't have the facilities to do so myself.
On the subject though I did read on one of the posts here that outsourcing the printing is not always a good idea unless you tell them exactly what you want done. I'd be interested to learn more. Does one take the RAW file or the jpeg?
Something worth looking into. I have a digital print shop around the corner from me.
As you say framing is another story altogether.

RON_RIP

What editing program are you using? Most print shops want jpegs. So you give them the highest resolution file that you can produce. If you can crop and edit your file first you can better control the outcome. When I am done editing a file that someone else is going to print I then burn the file unto a cd and give them that to print from. But if you go and talk to them I am sure they will advise you of the best procedure to use. I have largely quit having anyone else print my photos and now only print what my printer, a Canon Pro 9500 Mark II, can produce. The satisfaction of seeing your own print, done your own way, is enormous.

I would have to take them for printing as I don't have the facilities to do so myself.
On the subject though I did read on one of the posts here that outsourcing the printing is not always a good idea unless you tell them exactly what you want done. I'd be interested to learn more. Does one take the RAW file or the jpeg?
Something worth looking into. I have a digital print shop around the corner from me.
As you say framing is another story altogether.

Most want a JPEG but some will take a TIFF. IF they will take the TIFF then use it since it is a higher quality. If you use an online printer then you can check the website and they will tell you what you need to know, and you can always send a note to their support department and ask

Lawrence

What editing program are you using? Most print shops want jpegs. So you give them the highest resolution file that you can produce. If you can crop and edit your file first you can better control the outcome. When I am done editing a file that someone else is going to print I then burn the file unto a cd and give them that to print from. But if you go and talk to them I am sure they will advise you of the best procedure to use. I have largely quit having anyone else print my photos and now only print what my printer, a Canon Pro 9500 Mark II, can produce. The satisfaction of seeing your own print, done your own way, is enormous.

PS Elements 11 I'll go see the local guy tomorrow and maybe get it done - thinking $$$?
What finish should I ask for?
I always liked my old photos in matt and not gloss for some reason.

Deezey

Just checked out the thread! I absolutely love me 18-105. In my not so 365, when I state I got the lens....almost every shot after that is the 18-105. It just may be every shot. It's my feel good lens.

Lawrence

Just checked out the thread! I absolutely love me 18-105. In my not so 365, when I state I got the lens....almost every shot after that is the 18-105. It just may be every shot. It's my feel good lens.

Okay I need to know now if this lens will make me speak like that! ???? ;)

And yes I am loving it too. Very versatile and just as sharp as the 18-55 lens