First attempts with lights

Federico-Nov

I think it was two separate lights? If so, apply a little lighting ratio, make them different in brightness by a stop or so, to add slight gradient shading, to show shape instead of flat. This of course is an optional choice, but the usual idea is a main light high and wide, like up to 45 degrees higher than nose, and up to 45 degrees off to side of nose. To make shadows, then the fill light lightens them. The fill light more directly frontal, but weaker by about one stop. However, for B&W work of old men :), maybe as much as 2 or 3 or 4 stops less, which causes extreme contrast, which can be interesting. Sort of a dramatic Hollywood technique. But for women or children in color, softer, not much more than 1 stop difference. B&W can handle more contrast than color.

For this ratio without a light meter, you can imagine the distance of the lights from subject as if the numbers were f/stops. Meaning, distances like 1, 1.4, 2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, etc. Feet or meters doesn't matter, just be consistent. Then equal lights placed at distances "one stop apart" (in this way) will be one stop difference in light intensity. Two "stops" of distance, then two stops of light difference, etc. Saying again slowly, a light at 1 meter and a light at 1.4 meter will be one stop difference in brightness at the subject. A light at 1 meter and a light at 2.8 meters will be three stops difference in intensity. And such intentional difference is petty much the goal of lighting. I stay near 1 or 1.5 stops for color of ladies.

Here is your first lighting reading assignment. :)

short and broad lighting - Google Search

Do notice the ratios used there, it is about the intentional shadow shading on the faces.

I promise... tomorrow I'll study all this paragraph and do my homework! Thanks a lot for your feedbacks!!!

WayneF

WOWWW that's great... it really summarizes all this tread...

I have one question...
Comparing the three images it's impressive how the drop shadow produced by the speedlight it is really "hard edged" and dark... As I red in the book "Light science and magic", I undeastand that this happens because the speedlight is a "small high contrast light" just like the sun...

To avoid that and have a smooth shadow, shell we use a big modifier such as an umbrella?

The CFL surprised me too.. Yes, a regular size umbrella (I call it 40 or 45 inches, which is measured NOT straight across, but instead the curved path over the top... the size of the fabric).... the umbrella at close distance (meaning typically as close as possible for a reflected umbrella), will pretty much totally eliminate the shadow behind, if the background is a couple of feet behind. Exception is when the background is so close like my music box picture, zero separation, then some shadow remains.

On my three pictures, the incandescent light (10 inch reflector size) and the speedlight (2 inch wide reflector) are as expected. 10 inches is softer than 2 inches. The CFL was the same reflector though, and it was similar, but ligher fill, which I have no reason for yet... :)