Firefox broken on just this site?

WayneF

My Firefox 44 has been fine, but a day or two ago, it broke here. Only on this site. Attempting to show any page on this site shows it, and shows all the ad links (seen on bottom status bar), and then probably quickly refreshes to show the last previous page instead, coming from a page on this site or not. Not every time, but most times, maybe 90%, like a timing problem, but just the last day or two.

Chrome does not suffer that problem here. No other site suffers it in Firefox. I am unaware that anything here changed.

Anyone else seen that? Any clue how to fix it?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
As much as I'd like to help you, I wouldn't know where to start.

Maybe clear your cache and your DNS cache. Don't remember how to do it but I once had to do it and it cleared some problems I had with this site only.

The other solution, use Chrome, it's just that good.

WayneF

As much as I'd like to help you, I wouldn't know where to start.

Maybe clear your cache and your DNS cache. Don't remember how to do it but I once had to do it and it cleared some problems I had with this site only.

The other solution, use Chrome, it's just that good.

Thanks, I think that may have done it. At least I have about ten good shows so far... :) 10 of 10, instead of 1 of 10. I cleared History, including cache, but not cookies. Firefox is set to clear all cookies at any shutdown anyway, except reserved logon cookies. Clearing stuff is probably always a good general plan from time to time.

I wouldn't mind switching to Chrome at all, except I have one very good Firefox plugin for appointment reminders (ReminderFox) that I cannot give up. :) I don't see anything like it for Chrome. Anything there uses Google Schedules, which I don't want.

WayneF

Thanks Walt, I will do that too. I have had a couple of reoccurrences now, but overall, it is still greatly better.

WayneF

Well, it is still a problem. Better, varies, but not good. Not on any other sites, and not here if in Chrome.

I tried logging out here, to remove the cookie, to see if that had any effect. Now I cannot log back in, because Firefox comes here, and then immediately does a back arrow to take me away again. :)

Last edited:

WayneF

I tried many things yesterday to fix this, clearing cashes, removing and reinstalling Firefox, disabling plugins, running Firefox in safe-mode or with new blank profile (no plugins then), but nothing helped. Problem continued. It had been a problem for a few days. But only here, and only in Firefox, only the last few days.

Then last night, suddenly it smoothed out and the problem definitely seems gone now. No explanation. I sure hope that recovery is permanent.

Validation of the forum page here does show 43 HTML errors (269 errors on this composition page). Chrome was happy, but IE 11 does pop one error box on forum page "Line: 651 Error: Unable to get property 'style' of undefined or null reference", but it could continue OK. I don't know if any of that was related or not? Obviously was not affecting anyone else.

Anyway, seems OK again now.