Filters vs Bracketing

hsiehjon

ND's don't change the dynamic range of anything. They merely cut the amount of light that passes through them.

GNDs do not change the dynamic range of the camera. They change the dynamic range of the scene.

Agree. Therefore, GND and Bracketing are essentially the same as they both increase the DR of the specific scene.

So, in what instance would you use GND over bracketing?

Agree. Therefore, GND and Bracketing are essentially the same as they both increase the DR of the specific scene.

GDn gets it correct in the camera. Also HDR which is what you have to do with bracketing can look over processed if you are not really careful and know what you are doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RocketCowboy

GND lowers the DR of the scene so that it fits into the DR of the camera. One image, with the camera's DR, with the highs and lows properly represented. Less post processing required.

HDR/Bracketing takes multiple shots across the scene's DR, basically layering the cameras DR across the scene, and then blends them in post processing for a composite image that could not be capture in-camera within the camera's DR. The end result is dependent on the post processing tools used, and is a result that could not be captured in a single image with the camera's DR alone.

To me, if the scene lines up geometrically where a GND can be used, that's the best use case because it keeps be from being behind the keyboard. More complex scenes may not lend themselves to a GND being effective, in which case bracketing and HDR could be the best way to recreate the image.

Blacktop

One other process that we are leaving out of this conversation, is Luminosity masks . @BackdoorHippie turned me onto this process a a while ago. He made a lenghty post about it as I recall, but I can not find it now nor do I have the time to search for for it at this minute.
It takes a while to wrap your head around it, but it does give nicer results then your typical HDR .

https://iso.500px.com/luminosity-masks-in-digital-blending/

Also a video to follow along with

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

I first encountered luminosity masks through Jimmy McIntyre's Digital Blending tutorials, which are indeed a form of HDR photography (that's Jimmy in the 500px video above). I've since discovered Sean Bagshaw's work with them, which concentrates on using luminosity masks to process a single image, and it's got me completely rethinking my workflow. It takes a while to get your head wrapped around the concept of using them, and then more time to understand how to select proper luminosity ranges, but once you hit on it the impact on your images can be stunning. It requires a detailed knowledge of Photoshop's Adjustment Layers and Blending Modes first, but the journey is worth it. The work is also greatly simplified with the use of a panel built and sold by Tony Kuyper that Sean uses throughout his tutorials.

You won't learn anything from the video below, but it will give you an idea of what you can do with the masks and panel, and will at least point you to Sean's YouTube page.

480sparky

Bracketing does not change the dynamic range of the scene. It is merely a set of images taken both to intentionally over- and under-expose the scene.

Bracketing with the intention of combining the resultant over- and under-exposed images into an 'HDR' image is compressing the dynamic range of the original scene.

I would use a GND only if a large portion of one section of the image was bright enough, compared to the shadows, such that it exceeds the dynamic range of my sensor if the exposure is set to record details in the shadows. Different cameras have different ranges, and it also depends on the ISO you're using. I would then adjust a GND to cut down on the brightest portion of the scene so it would be exposed within the range of my sensor.

If the highlights and shadows were interspersed throughout the scene, I would bracket and create an HDR. But I haven't done that in about 3 years now.

Last edited:

Blacktop

I first encountered luminosity masks through Jimmy McIntyre's Digital Blending tutorials, which are indeed a form of HDR photography (that's Jimmy in the 500px video above). I've since discovered Sean Bagshaw's work with them, which concentrates on using luminosity masks to process a single image, and it's got me completely rethinking my workflow. It takes a while to get your head wrapped around the concept of using them, and then more time to understand how to select proper luminosity ranges, but once you hit on it the impact on your images can be stunning. It requires a detailed knowledge of Photoshop's Adjustment Layers and Blending Modes first, but the journey is worth it. The work is also greatly simplified with the use of a panel built and sold by Tony Kuyper that Sean uses throughout his tutorials.

You won't learn anything from the video below, but it will give you an idea of what you can do with the masks and panel, and will at least point you to Sean's YouTube page.

Thanks, I appreciate it.