"Extend lens before taking photos" message

Lindy

I have a Z5 with the 24-50 / 4-6.3 "kit" lens. 95% of the time I get the 'extend lens' message when I turn the camera on. Of course, the lens is already extended. I've removed the lens and cleaned the contacts with alcohol as suggested. No good. At times, it will work after reinstalling the lens, but then stops working again if the camera is turned off and on.
It seems I'm not the only one having this issue (Google search results) but there doesn't seem to be a fix as yet. I've contacted Nikon service, and am waiting to see what they say. It should still be under warranty (hopefully!)

Clovishound

Never had that happen with my Z5. Hopefully Nikon will straighten it out for you.

Do you have another lens, and does it do the same thing? (Wondering if this is an issue with the lens itself.)

How about turning the camera on before extending the lens?

TwistedThrottle

Have you upgraded the firmware on both camera body and lens to the latest and greatest? Check the firmware on the camera with the lens attached by going to the wrench, (Setup Menu) and all the way at the bottom is the firmware version. The (C) is camera and (LF) is lens firmware. Compare what you have to what Nikon shows as their latest firmware HERE.
I have never used that lens, but I've got the 14-30 and 24-70, both need to be extended before use. The only time I've had that message pop up is when the I've forgotten to extend the lens. If you compress fully, does it click into place? When you extend it fully, does it click into place?

Lindy

Never had that happen with my Z5. Hopefully Nikon will straighten it out for you.

Do you have another lens, and does it do the same thing? (Wondering if this is an issue with the lens itself.)

How about turning the camera on before extending the lens?
Turning on prior to extending the lens - the camera definitely doesn't like that. It's very odd, but if I turn the camera off, remove and reinstall the lens, extend it, and THEN turn on, it seems to work now and then. Very strange.

Lindy

Have you upgraded the firmware on both camera body and lens to the latest and greatest? Check the firmware on the camera with the lens attached by going to the wrench, (Setup Menu) and all the way at the bottom is the firmware version. The (C) is camera and (LF) is lens firmware. Compare what you have to what Nikon shows as their latest firmware HERE.
I have never used that lens, but I've got the 14-30 and 24-70, both need to be extended before use. The only time I've had that message pop up is when the I've forgotten to extend the lens. If you compress fully, does it click into place? When you extend it fully, does it click into place?
The camera firmware needed updating (done) but the lens firmware was the latest (only) version. The lens does click in both fully extended and retracted.
Nikon wants me to send in the camera and lens for service - who knows how long that will take, but I just started a photography class and not having a camera isn't an option right now.
I do have a Nikkor F-mount 85mm 1:1.8G lens (should have kept my D7100 as backup) with an FTZ adapter, and a Tamron 70-300 F/4.5-6.3 that both work, so I hope I can get through the assignments with those for now.
Can you explain why Nikon came out with the lenses like this (must be extended before taking photos?)

Clovishound

I believe the reason is to make the lens more secure when transporting it. The zoom gets locked down and shouldn't move when the lens gets bumped around.

Having a backup is a good thing. I still keep my old D3400 and a couple lenses for it. It's not worth that much to sell or trade, and even though I don't like using it now that I have the Z5, it's great to know that if something happened to my Z, I could still come home with images.

Enjoy your class.

Do you have any way to dry a different Z lens that locks similarly to your 24-50? If you can determine it's the lens, perhaps Nikon will be OK with your sending in just the lens, especially if you explain about your class. The worst that can happen is they say no.

TwistedThrottle

I like the feature. I didnt think I would but after getting used to it, I appreciate its compact design and ease of use, though I've never had a problem like what you're describing. Hopefully, Nikon will get you squared away quickly.

Lindy

I think I may have found a solution (or at least a workaround.)
I just ordered a Nikkor Z 28-75mm f/2.8 lens. I checked the lens manual online, and there's no mention of having to extend before shooting. Should be here Friday. We're in the middle of a mini-monsoon season until Sunday, so it's not like I'm going out to grab some shots. :)
I'll send the lens to Nikon to be checked. If they say it's fine, and every other lens I have works, I'm not going to worry about it.

TwistedThrottle

Good choice and quite the upgrade from your 24-50! You’re correct, there’s nothing to extend before shooting. At its most compact, you’ll be ready to shoot at 28mm, though the lens will extend as you zoom towards 75mm. Doubt you’d ever need to use the 24-50 again. Let us know what you think of the new lens!