Error press shutter release button

slicky rick

mr rico, everyone here with this problem owes you a great deal. i myself created an account to thank you for sharing the procedure. was ready to bring it to the repair shop. but when i read the feedback reagarding the authorized dealer where i am i decided not to and look for solutions to my problem. camera is less than 1 year old i could not believe such a problem would not be easily fixed. you are spot on with the problem, im back in business. although i did miss taking pictures of the birth of my second son.

mlv

Rico!!!! Thank you so much for the tip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It worked perfectly for me!!!! (I didn't know how to tell my husband that the camera he just got me had to go back for repair!!!) You're a genius!!!!!!!:D It's not likely for someone with a solution to come out here and share it. Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!

tractordriver

thanx heaps for suggesting the bottom mirror caught on stopper i have been putting of taking my two year old d3100 to get it repaired after a "friend" dropped it and it came up with the dreaded message, after reading this thread i was able to fix it quicker than it took to write this. thanx again

rstahl1244

This worked perfect on my D 3100. Wish I would of read this days ago when I was on vacation. The shutter somehow got wedged past the stop. Weird

lblumberg

Folks, just had the same issue with my D5100. The mirror was caught in the stop. I was simply able to slip the end of a razor knife between the side wall and the mirror, wedge with light pressure and it released without issue. Camera back to normal. THANKS!

Rico

I'm so glad this has worked for so many, I rarely use this e-mail account and saw the flurry of activity. My wife currently has the camera in Europe for our daughter's graduation trip - I'll try to post a picture of where the binding occurs if I get a chance (I guess I'll have to use my phone to take a picture - the quality will not be nearly as good though!). Incidentally, we have not had an issue with the mirror binding on the stop since that first occurance. The opportunity to compare my camera body with one in the shop allowed me to troubleshoot the issue and come to a solution.

Rico

Rico, you are a star mate
Spoiled my weekend in the Dales, got back found the forum and your expert tip. It worked!!!! if your ever in Yorkshire I owe you a pint

I'll drink a pint with you any day - and if you're ever in Austin, TX and like F-1 - holler at me - looking forward to the 2013 race.

galance

hello guys!!! hope you can help me.. i'm following the instructions from this post but i can't still figure it out.. i have attached a photo wherein you can pinpoint this lower right mirror to pry... this is the actual position of the inside of my camera when i removed the lens.. again fellow nikonites.. please help! thanks in advance!!! :) 2013-03-17 01.00.03.jpg

Rico

It happened again to my wife on her Europe trip - bummer that she couldn't use it after Rome - but here is a pic of where it hung up. The yellow arrow points to where the mirror is hanging up, just GENTLY push mirror to the left either above or below to unbind from the stop.
d5100.jpg

bignose2

I have a D3200

Getting same error message, intermitantly.

I don't think same problem but thought I would post here.

Only few months old, perhaps 40 photo's to test & was fine. Not really been out of house, lived in camera bag so definately not a damage issue.

When it first did it, error came up most of the time perhaps 9 out of 10 presses of shutter, so was working a bit & not completely stuck. It might then would work without intervention for 20+ shots

Took lens off & tried different SD card (although cards had always worked before)
I think many problems can have same error message.

Working OK just at the moment & only just read about mirror stop after so not sure if it had caught, but don't think so.
Even on fast multi-shot OK at moment.

This camera does not seem to allow shutter press with lens off, detects not connected, I held the lever up but think more clever than that, so can't see it working with lens off which is a bit pain!

Will mention in my case as recently got WU-1a wifi adapater & seemed to start just after that but can't imagine how this could possibly have any effect, strange coinicidence though. Android software bit flacky with it so you never know if something was installed/enabled on the camera

Phoned Nikon, not really any ideas, perhaps SDCard (I don't think). "Needs to go in for repair"

Very, very unhappy as mainly bought for my daugther's month trip to Thailand in a few days & no time for repair, bought early as Pre-Xmas Cash refund offer. Basically brand new but think exchange unlikely as is just more than a few months old despite not being used.

I am sure they sell a lot of cameras but on searching for this there does seems to be a very considerable amount of "error, press shutter" comments out there on the Nikon's.

Seems I will have to buy a new camera for daughters once in a lifetime trip & the nikon on ebay, take a bit if a hit but seems I have no choice. My first DSLR & Never Nikon again, I know any advanced tech can have problems but seems quite a few New Nikons have had problems.

Don't care if it is entry level, is still £450 + (£60 wifi) of my money.

opheliarose

Hi Rico and everyone, I was so thrilled to find this thread. However, after looking at my camera's mirror, my situation is a little different. My mirror is stuck in the upwards position. I can push the mirror down (or open) but then snaps up again (or closes). I am getting the same error message. Do you guys have any clues as to how to fix this problem?

Here's the current state of my camera taken with a flash. The arrow points to the mirror.
photob.jpg

Costanza

Also made an account to say thanks! I missed getting finish-line pictures at my kids' 5K this morning but everything seems back in order now.

thealor

Oh my gosh, Rico, you totally saved me on my very last week of grad school when my camera stopped working. I used tweezers and did your trick with the mirror. I can't thank you enough!!!!!!!!

turbobuick86

Considering the small percentage of owners who belong to this forum, this issue must be huge! Nikon should think about a recall or some kind of retrofit arrangement. Kind of unsettling to say the least.

Last edited:

Karen G

I tried the lifting of the mirror and that eliminated the error message, but now I have a black strip across the bottom of my photos. It rises higher on the right side of the photo than it does on the left. Any suggestions?? Appreciate the help!