Editing.

BackdoorArts

I tend not to like to edit low res jpegs as I don't have a lot of light information to work with, but here goes.

1. Adjusted light levels in PS (ctrl-l and tweak)
2. Used Nik Viveza 2 to adjust the following using control points (selected area editing):
a. Added structure to the whites in the fur
b. Removed contrast from the front right paw to better balance light
c. Added a touch of saturation and dropped brightness on the orange spots on the cat to better differentiate it from the fence.
d. Did a Brightness and Hue adjustment to the left eye so it matches the right
3. In PS I used the Elliptical selection tool to select the cat only, feathered the selection, and then inverted the selection. Using Ctrl-J I created a new layer from the selection, then in the layer panel changed the Blend Mode to Multiply, creating a subtle vignetting around the cat. Then I reduced the Opacity to around 45% so that it wasn't as dark, making it more natural looking.
4. I dodged the area under the signature as it still looked a little too dark from step 3.

Voila!! Subtle but effective. Sounds fancier and more time consuming than it is or looks (total time was about 1/3 of what it took me to type the description). Would have liked to sharpen a little, but there's not enough information there to do it without creating noise.

SMCat.jpg

Last edited:

wud

Nope. Deleted. Image looks bad :) Something is happening when I am uploading.

Last edited: