eBay Is a Minefield ...

jay_dean

From placing the ad to seeing the money in my account has been a minimum of five weeks. I understand ebay wanting to ensure all goes well with the transaction, but I'm not interested in waiting that long for a financial return. There are better options.
That seems an age!! From being paid by the buyer, to transferring it into my bank account, i can see it the money on my online statement within minutes. Arent you using PayPal?

mikew_RIP

If your looking to buy a camera the option to view the super sized :D image is often available,if so look at all the screws and see if the heads look damaged in any way.the add may read never let me down,ok but why are the screw heads marked,after saying that i buy cheap bits sometimes from china the rest only from ebay sellers that have a great rep and a brick shop.

paul04

I never buy anything really expensive off eBay, one thing I do check is the location and feedback of the seller.

If they have quite a bit of negative feedback, or take about 2 weeks to post, I leave them alone.
And I check the price of the postaged, some items look cheap, until you see the p&p.

480sparky

I've made hundreds of purchases on ebay. Yes, I've been burned a couple of times,.........

I've been burned as well. But to be honest, it's only for about $120. And I've saved far more than that over the years. I've even been able to find some downright STEALS there and flipped the item for some darned good money.

For instance, I was looking around and found a Celestron microphone listed. Celestron?!?! Yeah, telescopes, lenses, binoculars. But microphones? I didn't know Celestron was into audio equipment. So I opened the link. It was for a Celestron microscope! New in box. Buy-It-Now. $85. So I checked around. It was Celestrons' top-end lab-grade microscope that sold new for $650-675 at the time. Bam. Bought it, sat on it for two months, then listed it. Sold it as a BIN listing for $550.

Now, if I could do that 4 or 5 times a day..............
mw_hmmm.gif

mikew_RIP

I never buy anything really expensive off eBay, one thing I do check is the location and feedback of the seller.

If they have quite a bit of negative feedback, or take about 2 weeks to post, I leave them alone.
And I check the price of the postaged, some items look cheap, until you see the p&p.

Yes always check the PP costs,i do but nearly got caught the other day,was browsing through and found a new camera strap (black rapid copy)starting bid 99p 23 hours to go and no bid,normaly i would stick maybe 5 or 10 £s on it,i checked the post costs the one in the main box said foc checked the other section and two choices foc or £20 next day.
So i thought go with the foc but luckily i only put 99p in,later on checking the add i found hidden at the bottom seller only uses next day,had another bit of luck someone else bid so i was out,mind you i wouldn't have paid the £20 the way it was hidden i would have started a dispute just for the fun of it.

Vixen

I also buy lots of bits and pieces off eBay. Not just photog gear but all sorts from motorcycle & car parts to clothing. Like has been said, you just need to be careful & read the ad properly so you don't get burned by NOT noticing that p&p costs $500 (and yes, they do do that at times). I've used Amazon a couple of times too.

I have also bought from online shops. I bought my D7100 and 105mm lens via an online store that I had previously bought my Tokina 12-24mm lens from. The items came from Hong Kong but with full Aust warranty. They were good to deal with and the stuff comes pretty quickly (my camera took 10days and that was over Christmas & New Year, so I was well impressed).

You just need to be careful. People will recommend stores if you ask around. If you have any doubts, don't do it ;)

skater

I've bought one or two car parts off eBay, and I always wonder how I would know whether the part is from a stolen car. (Answer: I really don't. And it'd be a great way for a chop shop to sell their parts. Most of them, I'm sure, are from legitimate junkyards, but there's no real way to tell.)

I've bought and sold off eBay, not a real fan in either respect. I'll buy cheap items that I don't care much about off eBay, but nothing serious like a lens or body. The way eBay handles feedback these days almost guarantees that problems will be hidden or at least reduced - it should be independent and hidden until both enter their responses; in reality the seller gets to review and respond to the buyer's feedback before entering his or her own, putting the buyer at risk of retribution for an otherwise honest review. (At least that's how it worked a couple years ago...it may have changed since then.)

carguy

ebay protects the buyer, and honestly, I have bought lots of cameras and lens on ebay, and never a dud, read the description carefully, ask number of shots, etc,
and well most people take care of their gear,

Same here. Just ask questions and always see pictures first. Practice common sense. Ebay and paypal have excellent buyer protection. I've bought and sold hundreds of items since 1999 or so with zero issues.

Whiskeyman

Two words of advice for those purchasing on ebay: caveat emptor. Those two words also apply to every other purchasing situation.

I've made several purchases from ebay, and am satisfied with how things turned out in all of them.

My basic rules for purchasing: Buy only items from inside the US (I reside in the US.) Buy only from sellers with a long history of sales and a rating of 99% or higher. Only buy items with a return policy of at least 14 days. Buy only items with a detailed item description, in extremely good condition or better, with numerous photos of the actual item to back the claim up.

I know that I may get burned if I keep buying from ebay, but I've gotten burned in other places before.

WM

davebike

I buy a lot from Ebay in the UK it a great source of used Motorcycle parts I like to see it from one of the large traders
Check their feed back etc But I have had few problems
I even get parts from China etc no problem
I also sell used parts and bikes and there I had more problems bidders changing their minds and messing me about fro weeks
One Idiot won a load of used scooter parts didn't pay went all though the Non paying bidder bit
Re listed and he bid again Ebay help got bids removed and him blacklisted / blocked but what a hassle

Ebay is a great resorce but you need to be careful

mustang

Amazon now has sellers that are less than honest or reputable , also .
Ebay is not the only place to get screwed ......................
and in all fairness I would rather go thru ebay on some purchases than some of the clowns that are selling on amazon .
Ebay seems to protect buyers better than Amazon.
at least in my experiences with the two . Your results may vary.

Rob Bye

That seems an age!! From being paid by the buyer, to transferring it into my bank account, i can see it the money on my online statement within minutes. Arent you using PayPal?

Yes. They tell me it's because I'm a new seller. My eight years of being a solid buyer don't seem to count with them. I sell on ebay only as a desperate, last resort.

Rob Bye

Ebay seems to protect buyers better than Amazon.

I've found I can easily beat any price on Amazon.ca at local retailers. That, and the fact many items on Amazon takes a month to ship from China to Canada, keep me from placing orders through them.

SkvLTD

Well, I got my 600 off ebay with ~3000 on shutter at the time. All comes down to seller's dignity, but paypal does protect even if the seller doesn't accept returns if there is a flaw that isn't mentioned.