Early mornings, spiders and moths

Clovishound

I'm starting to explore macro work. This morning I rolled out of bed before the crack of dawn, purloined my daughter's 105 micro lens, and headed over to the swamp. Had the wrong tripod with me, but made do. Got a couple decent shots. I think I like this macro stuff. It is a nice adjunct to wildlife photography. Played around a little with it back in my film days, but results were disappointing back then. I was quite happy with a couple of these, although I see some things I would like to do differently next time. While you are still at the mercy of what's out there, and how insects react, I feel more in control than I do with bird photography. It also is satisfying to my technology bent, spending much more time choosing and changing settings, and less time just trying to get the shot. I still have to be careful not to get too close with some critters. I got a little too close to the red spider, and he skittered off before I was through.

Right now I'm using all natural light. These were early to mid morning. Late enough to give enough light to get to F16 or smaller without excessively long exposure times, or high ISOs. It rained last night, so things were still wet for several hours, especially in sheltered areas. This added some nice interest for webs and leaves. I may carry a little water misting bottle next time I go, if things are drier.

All in all a satisfying morning, even if I didn't get as many keepers as usual.

_DAB1847-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg

I have one of this spider I like better, but think I may hold it in reserve for the monthly contest.

_DAB1755-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg

OK, not a spider or moth, but thought I'd include this one, just cuz.

_DAB1714-DeNoiseAI-low-light-2.jpg