DX mode for wildlife?

snj979s

But I have my answer, thanks in part to you awesome folks. I'll pick up a crop body for my wildlife kit. Can't afford the d500 and so far the d7200 looks like a decent option. We can shift topic to that unless you guys want to debate who has the biggest dong. :)

Scott Murray

We can shift topic to that unless you guys want to debate who has the biggest dong. :)

Really??? Was that last bit needed? People were trying to offer you advice and yes maybe they have different advice to what you were looking for but they were civil answering them... Comments like this just degrade the quality on the forum.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Really??? Was that last bit needed? People were trying to offer you advice and yes maybe they have different advice to what you were looking for but they were civil answering them... Comments like this just degrade the quality on the forum.
A warning infraction was given concerning this inappropriate remark.

snj979s

I apologize for using that word. I should have expressed myself differently. I won't apologize for being new here and asking questions that others have asked before. I mean how realistic would it be to expect forum contributors to only ask the original questions. You know the questions that are so good that no one has ever thought of them before. I also won't apologize for expressing disagreement with having my questions mischaracterized. I'm here to learn, if you are an expert without the patience to answer non-original questions, you may want to observe the extent in which your own questions are original or wonder to yourself how much of your own learning takes place if you are only answering and not asking.

Last edited:

gfinlayson

DX crop mode on a D800 lets you shoot a little faster and produces smaller files. The AF points cover nearly all of the frame in DX mode too which is an advantage. FX mode and cropping gives you more leeway in terms of placement of your subject, especially for birds in flight where you might not have the subject exactly where you want it in the frame, but AF points are concentrated in the central area of the viewfinder. Sure, the newer D7xxx bodies give you more pixels, but they lack the D800 build and controls. AF performance is also not on the same par IME. There are also differences in how the files render. I used to have D7000s - the files had a very similar look to the D800. Took some of my best wildlife images with the D7000. Both bodies have Sony sensors with almost identical pixel density. I owned and hated the D7100 (Toshiba sensor). Haven't tried the D7200 and don't intend to. Have 3 x D800s presently and if I wanted a wildlife specific body now, it would be D500 or bust. My best advice on DX crop in the D800 is to try it out and see if it works for you.....

Sent from my Xperia X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

snj979s

...My best advice on DX crop in the D800 is to try it out and see if it works for you.....
Thanks for the good advice. I've been trying it out. There is a noticeable positive impact on frame rate but I find myself wanting to just crop from fx in most situations. I'm curious why you wouldn't want to try the D7200? Thanks again.

gfinlayson

I'm curious why you wouldn't want to try the D7200? Thanks again.

I've been shooting D800s for nearly 4 years and I just wouldn't want to go back to the enthusiast body layout. I've stayed away from the D750 for the same reason too. The D800 has a big bright viewfinder, round eye-cup, viewfinder blind, dedicated AF-ON, proper mode selection buttons, solid build and takes CF cards.

If I bought another DX body, it would be the D500.