DX Crop Factor

gqtuazon

Gear Head
So then 18-70 DX is actually 18(?)-50 if that supposed 70mm zoom end matches the field of view I see in a 50 prime?

It is possible. I don't have the specs or anything. With the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, @ 200 is more like ~135mm. :confused: Totally different when compared to the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRI.

JDFlood

So then 18-70 DX is actually 18(?)-50 if that supposed 70mm zoom end matches the field of view I see in a 50 prime?

It is the difference in field of view between closest focus and furthest focus... It's not going to make a 20mm difference. Set up a lens and try it, look at the field change between closest focus and infinity. JD

SkvLTD

Well, just difference in field of view of supposed 50mm zoom and what 50 prime sees. Unless DX lenses are actually tweaked to appear on DX like the said lengths would appear on FX, then it makes perfect sense when just using FX lens on a DX sensor.

Math was about on-point here since that 50 would have a 75mm field of view on the DX and 18-70 had almost the same FOV @ 70mm/max zoom.

Either way, I feel If I want a workable field of view in a faster prime/low light flavor, I'd need some sort of 24mm f/2.8 or around that.

stmv

I think the post with the overlapping squares is the best way to think of this subject. so,, the image is within the DX box,, the distance of the center object to the objects in the distance will maintain the same relationship, so,, a 50mm lens on a DX camera will not have the same look as a 85 mm lens, for the objects behind the subject, and still within the frame. So, if you like that 85 mm focal length effect, then you have to buy an 85 mm lens, but realize that the "box" around the subject has been reduced.

WayneF

So much mystery and nonsense about such an easy subject.

FX and DX definitely affects perspective (meaning, with the same lens, we must stand in different places for the same view - and where we stand affects perspective). The only reason we imagine a 85 or 105mm lens is a "portrait lens" is due to perspective. Any lens can work for portraits, depending where you stand. For example, you would never consider using the same one lens for a head/shoulders portrait and also for a large group shot.

Perspective is important in that a main rule of portraits is "Stand back at least six or eight feet, regardless". The only importance of 105mm is that on FX (classically, on 35mm film), it forces standing back about seven feet for a head and shoulders. But if DX, then 70mm is that same equivalent and same view (and same perspective if standing in the same place). The important thing is the better perspective if standing back at 6 to 8 feet.

Sure, some shoot at 4 or 5 feet, the camera works there, but almost everyone agrees that 6 to 8 feet looks better. Some like 10 or 12 feet better. Where you stand determines perspective, which is the relative size of near and far features, like noses. Ladies don't want to see their nose appear larger. So, the idea is to stand back at least at 6 or 8 feet, and then use whatever lens that frames the view you want to see, be it head/shoulders, or full length or group. There is no magic focal length number, except 105mm requires FX to stand back about 7 feet for head/shoulders. Which is only applicable if using FX to shoot head/shoulder. :)

Last edited: