DX 35mm quality vs 18-55 DX kit lens set at 35mm

mobi

Looking at the samples, I am struggling to see how fixed lens in superior here.

Nowadays when cameras can use high ISO, is it really useful to have prime lenses? I admit their large aperture provides better bokeh due to shallow death of field but is that all the benefit of using it?

Earlier I was inclined to buy 35/1.8 lens but now started to wonder how exactly it will help me!

Moab Man

Looking at the samples, I am struggling to see how fixed lens in superior here.

Nowadays when cameras can use high ISO, is it really useful to have prime lenses? I admit their large aperture provides better bokeh due to shallow death of field but is that all the benefit of using it?

Earlier I was inclined to buy 35/1.8 lens but now started to wonder how exactly it will help me!

Photo quality degrades as the ISO is cranked up to compensate for low light.

alfaholic

Banned
I totally agree, 35mm f1.8 is a must have for all DX owners.
It can be a little bit boring because it does not add anything like 50mm or 85mm with shallow DOF and better bokeh, but it is a great lens, very usable at f1.8 and usable FOV.
I have 50mm f1.8 D, it is also a great lens, it is more exciting than 35mm, better bokeh, but almost unusable indoor and with anything wider than one or two person photo. Also, it can be a little bit soft wide open.
As for 18-55 / 18-105 and VR comparison, it has no sense because VR can reduce only camera shake, but it is unusable when your subject is moving, or in any other similar situation.
Another thing, try using f1.8 lens for some time, and then just go back to "slow" kit lens, you will see the difference.

I love primes, you do not have so many options to choose from so you are thinking more about composition.
That brings you back to the roots: you, your camera, one prime lens, light meter, focus, and shoot.
That is why I love my little tank, Zenit 12 XP, no display, no chimping, point, measure, focus, and bang... ;)

Last edited: